Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:27:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rittenhouse cleared of charges

Started by bgmnts, November 19, 2021, 06:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanJim

FiremanJim

I'm a bit obsessed with this case and I've been searching for podcasts to listen to while working, and I just accidentally found this Conservative rapper's track. Unbelievable.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3tdsmDSg2uWBuejDlktwVo?si=AovnsCvWRw6Y6wQKkeiljw&utm_source=copy-link

Retinend

Quote from: FiremanJim on November 24, 2021, 04:31:21 AMPretty good article by Jonathan Cook here.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/kyle-rittenhouse-not-enemy-product-of-outrage-media/279066/

I also largely agree with this article, except for where it starts getting tinfoily about "And this is where the Rittenhouses prove useful..."

And I hate to do guilt-by-association, but it uncritically slaps quotes from Jimmy Dore and Mark Ames amongst the supposedly reasonable talk about avoiding tribalism, so ...

BlodwynPig

Over analysis. Just jail the murderer. As a wise goose once said "simples"

Paul Calf

Quote from: Retinend on November 24, 2021, 06:53:42 AMI also largely agree with this article, except for where it starts getting tinfoily about "And this is where the Rittenhouses prove useful..."

And I hate to do guilt-by-association, but it uncritically slaps quotes from Jimmy Dore and Mark Ames amongst the supposedly reasonable talk about avoiding tribalism, so ...

The curate called and he wants his egg back.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 24, 2021, 01:49:43 AMYeah, it's not a bad video, actually. I wish he'd addressed the issue of proportionality more, though. Shooting someone four times for throwing a bag at you is not a proportionate response.

The proportionality stuff was mentioned at the beginning:
Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 19, 2021, 07:32:11 PMQuite a good article covering the facts of the case, local laws, etc.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/rittenhouse-jury-verdict-self-defense-legal-analysis.html

(not an endorsement)

The US right going a bit crazy as Rittenhouse says he supports BLM.

Paul Calf

Quote from: FiremanJim on November 24, 2021, 01:17:59 AMThis actually was a fantastic video, with a really likeable, engaging host. Glad I looked past the thumbnail and actually watched it.

Legal Eagle is great. Well worth a sub.

Chollis

Paul Calf

That'll keep the lid in a bit longer. Seems this case was more cut-and-dried than the Shithouse case.

Paul Calf

His dad:

QuoteIt's been a long fight, it's been a hard fight, but God is good,"

An omniscient being directed his son's murderers into a guilty verdict, but apparently had nothing to do with his son's death at the hands of thuggish but definitely mortal arseholes.

I just don't get people.

Video Game Fan 2000

I don't think my values and optimism about the world would hold up if I lost a child so brutally.

I find it incredibly admirable. When people go through this kind of ordeal and end up affirming a belief in justice and goodness at the end, its moving. Doesn't matter if its religion that got them there.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Paul Calf Jr. on November 24, 2021, 08:36:36 PMHis dad:

An omniscient being directed his son's murderers into a guilty verdict, but apparently had nothing to do with his son's death at the hands of thuggish but definitely mortal arseholes.

I just don't get people.

You're assuming a lot about the version of God he believes in. Probably not the day to go all Amazing Atheist on him though.

Goldentony

remember years ago seeing a rockabilly band make some offhanded crack about God and someone in the front couldnt resist going ERR HE DOESNT EXIST and the singer kind of perched over from the stage towering above and went HE LIVES ON IN YOUR FUCKING HEART YOU LITTLE GOBSHITE over the mic with tons of reverb, great night out

chveik

I just don't get people.

man you're such a cunt

idunnosomename

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 24, 2021, 08:42:22 PMYou're assuming a lot about the version of God he believes in. Probably not the day to go all Amazing Atheist on him though.
what, stick a banana up your anus?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 24, 2021, 08:42:22 PMYou're assuming a lot about the version of God he believes in. Probably not the day to go all Amazing Atheist on him though.

Yeah, that is a bit weird.

BlodwynPig

*Left wing forum defends right wing god fearing people shocker*

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 24, 2021, 11:22:17 PM*Left wing forum defends right wing god fearing people shocker*

great take. how do you know they're right wing and why does it matter in that instance?

bgmnts

Fire and brimstone eye for an eye selfish mental bastard God is good.

Video Game Fan 2000

Imagine that nightmare happening to you and still being strong enough to stand in front of a crowd of people, on the hardest day of your life, and tell them your faith in a better world is still strong.

So different from every minor detail about the Rittenhouse case. But she said "God" so, a baddie.

QDRPHNC

a peepee tipi

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 24, 2021, 11:22:17 PM*Left wing forum defends right wing god fearing people shocker*
Just to clarify, it was a quote from Arbery's grieving mother

Paul Calf

I don't think she's reading this forum, mate.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a peepee tipi on November 25, 2021, 01:20:49 AMJust to clarify, it was a quote from Arbery's grieving mother

Not commenting on that. That was an ill placed comment by Calf. A false idol

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on November 24, 2021, 11:45:41 PMgreat take. how do you know they're right wing and why does it matter in that instance?

I think the Proud Boys are not Corbyn's greatest fans

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I just don't get people.
"HEY GRIEVING PARENT YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK FOR BELIEVING IN GOD AND TAKING ANY KIND OF COMFORT IN THE FACT THAT YOUR SON'S MURDERERS WERE ACTUALLY BROUGHT TO JUSTICE, WHAT A FUCKING LOSER"

Paul Calf

I think you should continue to show respect to this grieving parent by hysterically misinterpreting throwaway comments on a forum they're never going to even know exists. That would be a rational and empathetic thing to do, and not at all symptomatic of brain-rot induced by a pecking-frenzy culture of manufactured outrage that we on CaB imagine ourselves to be above.

I mean, wait until you find out about Jerry Springer, The Opera...