Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Has anyone (as in, another player or pundit) come out and said "I've heard about sour grapes, and nobody likes losing in such a manner, but this is taking the piss"?

BlodwynPig

Robertson has backed him.

Akin to big football and rugby clubs calling for and end to relegation

bgmnts

Yeah expect nothing more than the players to close ranks as per.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Watched a bit of Bawkins vs Reanne Evans earlier. Bawkins took all four frames in that session. Maybe Reanne is only on fire when playing against her ex.

Is Mark Allen in this? He pulled out of the Champion of Champions "for personal reasons" but I suspect those personal reasons included not wanting to be photographed in those shirts.

The Culture Bunker

I suppose it's different from team sports in this regard - if a Premier League team gets beat by Woking or such, yer pundits on Match of the Day and such will generally say how it's great for the game, "magic of the cup" and so on.

pigamus

Quote from: bgmnts on November 24, 2021, 07:07:03 PMYeah expect nothing more than the players to close ranks as per.

Surely they must despise him as much as we do

Johnny Foreigner

I shall put a few teacups on the lawn, in case a storm breaks out.

sevendaughters

Ron opens with two 130+ breaks. Hope I get to see him on Sunday.

sevendaughters

pigamus

Never liked Hendry much but I don't get why he wants to do that to himself. Bit embarrassing for all concerned.

shoulders

shoulders

Quote from: bgmnts on November 24, 2021, 07:07:03 PMYeah expect nothing more than the players to close ranks as per.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59407192

Robinson, Williams and Selby.

They know what side their bread is buttered.

It's an absolute fucking joke. Who cares. There's amateurs once in a while, go a fucking beat them if they're that good. As if "no pressure" (which is bullshit) makes that much difference.

sevendaughters

brilliantly shit journalism from BBC there too. useless.

pigamus

"I think if you make it on to the main tour you should be guaranteed a living"

Fuck me

bgmnts

Being thick but I'm not really understanding one argument against allowing amateurs to play the odd game at a tournament.

And yeah lol at the guaranteed living.

pigamus

Think there's going to be a backlash against snooker players in general after this, some staggering lack of self-awareness going on

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on November 24, 2021, 10:18:57 PMBeing thick but I'm not really understanding one argument against allowing amateurs to play the odd game at a tournament.
Me neither, but I'm a very casual viewer. I just assumed the reaction across the board would be like when Southend beat Man United (featuring Ronaldo and Rooney) in the League Cup back in 2007, everyone having a good laugh and saying how great it was. From reading articles like that BBC one linked enough, I could almost believe they will ban amateurs from taking part.

sevendaughters

I honestly can't believe no one in journalism has pointed out that 'amateur' in snooker means 'scratching around at the fag end of the game between bouts of debt and depression because of the arbitrary limits on what constitutes professionalism' and not 'Have-a-go Hero Dave and His Magic Cue'.

shoulders

We already know the top 20 or so want to pull up the drawbridge and just have endless tournaments where some Chinese or Qatar lads pay them lots of money.

druss

I wonder what Ronnie will say? He probably agrees with Shaun but don't think he will bring himself to say so publicly so he might just end up trolling AIDS, which could be fun.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 09:48:56 PMNever liked Hendry much but I don't get why he wants to do that to himself. Bit embarrassing for all concerned.

I don't know, he's played against someone who's made 5 centuries in 7 frames. Maybe Hendry's left him an easy starter every time, but beyond that there's probably not a lot he could do.

notjosh

Understand that Shaun Murphy's frustrated at the current rules, but this idea about putting food on the table is only going to make things worse.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on November 25, 2021, 01:24:50 AMI don't know, he's played against someone who's made 5 centuries in 7 frames. Maybe Hendry's left him an easy starter every time, but beyond that there's probably not a lot he could do.

I'm not much of a fan of Hendry, but he gave Murphy a lesson in manners after the match, saying that Uh-Noon had put on a masterclass of break building and had been a pleasure to watch. Cuntybollocks Murphy doubling down on his shit on the radio this morning.

EOLAN

This is about the only tournament where there is a such a large field without qualifiers. So about only time a player of Murphy's ranking may get a wild card entry due to some of the professional field dropping out. He is really disgusting and condescending to his opponent who beat him fair and square. And poor Murphy shouldn't have the issues of many other 'professionals' who will regularly have to qualify and then get drawn against top seeds, and get no money if they lose. Regularly.

There some good snooker podcasts out there and after Murphy's excellent PR at the World Championship, I hope they don't go easy on him over this.

pigamus

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on November 25, 2021, 01:24:50 AMI don't know, he's played against someone who's made 5 centuries in 7 frames. Maybe Hendry's left him an easy starter every time, but beyond that there's probably not a lot he could do.

Yeah fair enough, it was the comeback in general I meant really.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shoulders on November 24, 2021, 10:08:57 PMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59407192

Robinson, Williams and Selby.

They know what side their bread is buttered.

It's an absolute fucking joke. Who cares. There's amateurs once in a while, go a fucking beat them if they're that good. As if "no pressure" (which is bullshit) makes that much difference.

BBC famed for
Balance
Rigour
Insight

RFT

Quote from: EOLAN on November 25, 2021, 11:25:10 AMThere some good snooker podcasts out there and after Murphy's excellent PR at the World Championship, I hope they don't go easy on him over this.

are there any you particularly recommend?

Blue Jam

^^^ Yes, I'd love some recommendations too please EOLAN.

I used to love the Snooker Potcast but the guys who made that quit for a while, seems they've just done a new episode though, YAAAAAAAAY. Hopefully the first of many more:

https://snookerpotcast.podbean.com/

If you enjoy this please consider subscribing, I think the guys quit for a bit partly because of low subscriber numbers and I'd love to hear much more. This is about the closest to an Atheltico Mince of snooker that I've heard.

EOLAN

TALKING SNOOKER PODCAST

Two part time snooker journalists with regular weekly podcasts. Reviewing latest tournaments, listeners questions and some interviews with players, referees and other fans/journalists.
Would recommend Alan McManus one from about a month ago if you enjoy his TV reviews.
Did an interview with Shaun Murphy shortly after World Championship where he unfortunately came across well, so interested if they would be willing to call him out.

SNOOKER SCENE PODCAST

Eurosport and ITV commentator David Hendon with a regular podcast. Similar to above. Sometimes goes solo, sometimes has a co-host or guest. Use to have Michael McMullen cohosting. They has good rapport and went on many nostalgia discussions.
McMullen has gone to World Snooker Tour (WST) podcast eith interviews with leading players. More formal and haven't listened to much.
Was a great episode after McMullen with Hendon getting super angry at WST for taking McMullen away without any notice to him.

Of course was delighted to have Snooker Potcast turn up once again a couple of weeks ago. Was a great bit on Peter Ebdon they did.