Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bangface Festival 2022

Started by Pauline Walnuts, November 25, 2021, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

imitationleather

Yep I am.

Lineup dropped today but to be honest it's pretty much exactly the same every time anyway.

Pauline Walnuts

I think we'll be able to the exact moment something goes from cutting edge contemporary to nostalgic heritage acts, mind you GFOTY would probably like that.

jobotic

Hellfish & Producer, Doormouse, few blasts from the past and my record collection there.

Bit sad I'll never do a Bangface but maybe also relieved.

Quote from: imitationleather on November 25, 2021, 05:35:37 PMYep I am.

Lineup dropped today but to be honest it's pretty much exactly the same every time anyway.

No Partiboi69 this year?
[close]

The Mollusk

Wow they actually did diversify the lineup from the usual male whitewash this time around. Kudos to them.

Looking forward to the potential of those two hotels getting absolutely hellscaped. The owners surely can't know what they're getting themselves into.

imitationleather

If any hotel dickheads who can't be arsed to walk all the way into Southport think they can "crash" in my chalet in exchange for "great chat and vibes" they'll be finding out just how aggy this scene can get.

The Mollusk

I'm loving this new middle-aged side of you. I feel like we've reached a quiet and comfortable life at the same time as one another. I mean, I'm better than you, since I'm never going back to Bangface, but still. Good for you!

idunnosomename

hope there's a horrible zombie virus and you all end up eating each other

imitationleather

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 25, 2021, 09:23:54 PMI'm never going back to Bangface

One less person I have to share my speed with is good news for me, buddy!

Goldentony

the Pontins is about two train stops away from Southport isn't it? this is based on when I worked there ten years ago and when the train got past Hightown you'd think fuck me utter pricks live here. Can only assume a 20 minute journey there on a one way train must be like a dream to anyone from London though unless you live and work in say Penge or Luton

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is there much facebanging involved? I've seen a few videos on the internet, so I'd know what to do.

Pancake

Looking for a family friendly festival to take my 6 and 3 year olds, what's the food like at bangface and do they have yurts, tee pees, that sort of thing?

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on November 25, 2021, 05:32:56 PM

"This month, police pictures showed another estate in Southport turning itself into the Millennium Falcon."

boki

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 25, 2021, 07:27:05 PMWow they actually did diversify the lineup from the usual male whitewash this time around. Kudos to them.
Yeah, I'm glad they've brought Sherelle and Rebekah back in particular, cos I've regretted missing them before.

QuoteLooking forward to the potential of those two hotels getting absolutely hellscaped. The owners surely can't know what they're getting themselves into.
They're budget hotels owned by the same group as Pontins, they know.

chutnut

There's always been something really unappealing about bangface for me, despite liking some of the music. I think it's the whole wacky/novelty vibe about it

Sonny_Jim

I dunno, the wackiness I really enjoyed, for a normally social awkward twat it felt like home.

jobotic

I remember talking to my sister who has been a few times about the superspreader that imitationleather was it at the beginning of covid.

"Fucking hell it was scummy and diseased without a pandemic"

The Mollusk

Quote from: chutnut on November 27, 2021, 11:49:42 AMThere's always been something really unappealing about bangface for me, despite liking some of the music. I think it's the whole wacky/novelty vibe about it

It takes itself a bit more seriously now than it used to. Its USP is certainly still "neo-rave armageddon" but I think overall Bangface is just an environment that tries to hold on to a lot of the bright colours and sense of abandonment that rave scenes came to prominence with in the 90s. You know, a step outside the circle of current stuff which all too easily conforms to a rigid set of parameters and loses all sense of fun. I'm looking at you, techno.

Despite the overabundance of inflatable dolphins and daft slogan placards, it's not nearly as wacky as you might think - in fact being in the thrall of it is honestly fucking joyous. However, outside of the main venues, it almost certainly is as crusty as you can imagine it might be. It attracts people from all corners of the scene, from chin-stroking geeks experimenting in psychedelics to curious fun-loving youngsters who can't believe what they're seeing to grotty squat party single-matted-dreadlock types and stone-faced "you can't say anything nowadays" oldschool veterans of hardcore. The harrowing weather conditions of its current location certainly don't help, as the verdant green pastures and daffy sunshine community vibe of the Camber Sands venue more closely resemble grey post-apocalyptic horizontal-rain-blasted marshlands in Southport.

It is still amazing though, they put on one hell of a festival and despite about 70% of the lineup being mainstay "if it ain't broke don't fix it" acts, they are nevertheless curated very well to ensure a party unlike anything anywhere else in the country, or maybe even anywhere else for that matter? Ridiculously good fun. One of the strongest links in the backbone of my cultural coming of age.

chutnut

I've been to at least one of the individual nights in the past and spent a fair amount of time in the Bangface tent at Glade festival so I do have a bit of experience, and despite the inflatable dolphins hitting me in the face every 30 seconds and the 'funny' placards, I did still have fun.
To be fair I'm sure you'd have to be a massive grouch to not enjoy yourself at the festival, especially if it's less wacky nowadays!

imitationleather

Petey Pate

Should be there next year. Have wanted to go for a few years so looking forward it, pandemic permitting.

imitationleather

jobotic

I like that Hellfish and Producer look just like I'd like them to look. Sure I've seen them but couldn't really see them.

I'd see Doormouse if I was there.

I like the names Tchaidonksy and In Bed With My Brother

imitationleather

Trancey Beaker gave me a chuckle.

PlanktonSideburns

boki

The tall one's even called Wayne.

(and the other is legendary ex-Sepultura drummer Igor Cavalera)