Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

Looked at that photo and thought it was Robert Lindsey!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thr0b on November 05, 2021, 03:08:57 PM
But also

He used to live about a five minute walk from me, and managed to blag a car from a local dealership which claimed he was the new Doctor Who on the side, along with some for advertising blurb. Even back then no one seemed to really believe him, and it wasn't a surprise when he failed to appear on our screens.

Edit: Just found a picture now:

mothman

What's the story here? Totally clueless sorry.

Small Man Big Horse

mothman

BritishHobo

Thanks for the link SMBH, and you all for bringing the story up. Very odd, fascinating stuff, I'd never heard it before.

Very strong 'first episode of I'm Alan Partridge' vibes from that. He's essentially made up a hypothetical promising bit of work to get a free car, assuming the claim would fade away quickly, leaving only the car behind for years of enjoyment. Quite poetic that the opposite has happened, and that if you google his name, all of the results relate to Doctor Who.

Replies From View

QuoteThat said, Burton's published list of acting credits includes some rather mysterious entries. In his online CV published several years ago by his former agent, Burton stated that he had appeared as a character called "Dave" in an episode of Only Fools and Horses that had been directed by Richard Kell. Except that a Richard Kell didn't direct any of the 64 televised episode of the series. In fact, I couldn't find any directing credits for anyone of that name.

This made me smile a bit.  The idea that he'd fly under the radar pretending he'd been cast as a character called "Dave" in Only Fools and Horses.

mothman

It's daft. He could have claimed to have spent several years working in the States on TV shows that might never be expected to make it over here and which we might at best see brief clips of on Entertainment USA and nobody would have been any the wiser. But nooooo, instead he makes out he was on OFAH and DW.

Alberon

He was sticking to his story as late as 2012, but it seems he was in the habit of fluffing all areas of his CV. A few decades back he could invent an obscure C4 show he apparently starred in, but it's too easy to check these days.

I can see why he picked Doctor Who. It was a show everyone had heard of, but by the end of the eighties relatively few were watching. He didn't count on the fans though.

The height of his real TV career seems to be appearing in the line up of Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

Midas

Quote from: Alberon on November 07, 2021, 09:17:08 AM
The height of his real TV career seems to be appearing in the line up of Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

deso

Midas

Noticed the shooting script for Love and Monsters was added to the script library on the BBC Writers Room page recently.

Know there are a lot of fans of that story on here! ;)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Midas on November 07, 2021, 01:22:58 PM
Noticed the shooting script for Love and Monsters was added to the script library on the BBC Writers Room page recently.

Know there are a lot of fans of that story on here! ;)

AHH WEEE DON'T LIKE IT

FUCKIN THE PAVEMENT

FUCK THE PAVEMENT

JamesTC

Midas

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In other RTD news, he's written a drama about Crossroads grande dame Noele Gordon. It will almost certainly be tremendous.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/helena-bonham-carter-nolly-russell-t-davies-newsupdate/

I'm looking forward to the recreation of her emotionally-charged post-sacking appearance on the Russell Harty show.

Bad Ambassador

You missed out where it says that is the managing director is Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter is chief executive. Natasha Hale, COO for Bad Wolf, has the same job here.

The office is less than a hundred yards from Bad Wolf Studios.

Jerzy Bondov

I know it's very early and it would be insane to make a judgement based on nothing but a filing with companies house but this is going to be absolute unmitigated fucking shit

Thomas

They've also registered one 'Whomobile' with the DVLA.

Norton Canes

I'm totally up for The Nyssa Adventures

The Mr. Copper Adventures

"Mr. Copper, we need your help!"

"Fuck off."

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 25, 2021, 11:19:01 AMI know it's very early and it would be insane to make a judgement based on nothing but a filing with companies house but this is going to be absolute unmitigated fucking shit

I don't get it.  What are we being told is happening?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't understand either. What is this?

Replies From View

Was 'Whoniverse' without a number already taken?

Replies From View

Anyway I don't mind.  I'll skip what I'm not interested in.  I still haven't seen most of Torchwood, TSJA or Class.  Some stuff will ultimately tie into the show and that'll probably be the stuff I'll watch.

The other end of the same spectrum is an allusion to an epic overarching world, but only expressed within 6 episodes of Doctor Who, with nothing but exposition driving everything along.  Having all that stuff dealt with in the 'Whoniverse' will allow Doctor Who to better breathe as itself.

thr0b

I wouldn't read much into it. It's not uncommon for companies to set up subsidiaries so the new company absorbs all the risk and they can dissolve them without really impacting the parent company if things go shit.

mjwilson

Reminder of what Russell said a bit ago:

QuoteThere should be a Doctor Who channel now. You look at those Disney announcements, all of those new Star Wars and Marvel shows, you think, we should all be sitting here announcing The Nyssa Adventures, or The Return of Donna Noble, and you should have the tenth and eleventh Doctors together in a 10-part series. Genuinely. And I think that will happen one day.

JamesTC

It would need to be bought by Disney or somebody like that to happen. Maybe I could see it if there was some sort of co-production deal and Paramount, Disney or Netflix got the worldwide exclusive rights outside the UK. The BBC would be able to justify it by having much more content at a lower price to spread across BBC One, Two and (the newly returning) Three.

But stuff like The Nyssa adventures would be a non-starter. A nice idea for us fans that stuff like that would work now, but it is barely justifiable from Big Finish. It would need to be a new series character who spins off, or at least a character or enemy who the audience are very familiar with.

Kelvin

I think it's a terrible idea, the show just can't sustain a vast array or worlds, given that the budget is never going to be top tier, even under a different production company. So you'll end up with loads of shows that feel like a pale facimile of the mainline show, only without the freedom and potential of limitless time and space.

A couple of skews, maybe. Perhaps a few 3-4 part standalone stories like Children of Earth. But once you come up against a lack of sci-fi writing talent, a lack of budget, and a lack of a Tardis (or at least what it represents), I think people will quickly realise that the appeal of Doctor Who is in Doctor Who, not the goofy world it inhabits.