Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

31 dead as boat sinks in Channel

Started by SpiderChrist, November 24, 2021, 08:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It's awful. And literally nothing good will come of it. No sudden realisations, no damascene conversions, just doubling down on the hateful rhetoric.

*badum-PISH*
And that's just the Labour Party.
[close]

We've got negative migration. Anyone with any sense is trying to get OUT of this shithole. That's the line we should be pushing. But noooo, it'll be those "floods" of migrants again. Economic migrants all looking for a handout, none of them genuine refugees, etc., etc. I'm so tired of it all.

Johnny Foreigner

Would it not be considerably safer to take the regular ferry rather than some improvised vessel?

Goldentony

edit

Butchers Blind

Media always call them migrants. Actually I think you'll find they're people but easier to label them as such.

jobotic

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 24, 2021, 09:51:16 PMMedia always call them migrants. Actually I think you'll find they're people but easier to label them as such.

Exactly.

QuoteShadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said action was needed to disrupt the flow of people before they reached the Channel coast.

"It really now has to act as the most tragic of wake-up calls to redouble our efforts to make sure that people are not out on the water in these terrible makeshift boats risking their lives," he told the BBC.

"It is unrealistic to think that the entirety of that coastline can be patrolled. We need to be looking at practical law enforcement action away from the coast as well.

"We need that wider joint law enforcement work with the French authorities to be disrupting further away from the coast. In addition to that we do need to look at safe and legal routes."

Maybe your "in addition" throwaway sentence at the end should be your main fucking point there Nick. Must always pander though, even now.

Want to stop people traffickers? Provide safe passage and deal with people humanely when they arrive.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 24, 2021, 08:49:03 PMWould it not be considerably safer to take the regular ferry rather than some improvised vessel?

Yes, which is why they should be allowed to do it without getting turned back by Border Force officers.

bgmnts

Apparently they were the victims of criminals. Failing to address why these people are even turning to criminals to get into a country where most people despise them.

shoulders

Get ready for more, this is a taste of what's to come.

mothman

QuoteIt is unrealistic to think that the entirety of that coastline can be patrolled.

It appears from context he's talking about the French coast. And he's right (though it must be said the footage on Channel 4 News tonight, of the French police just standing back while another boatload sets out, is pretty damning). Needless to say the press and government are far more joined up in maintaining the fault lies solely with France.

JesusAndYourBush

If they'd just get all the multi millionaires to pay their tax it'd offset any handouts the migrants might get by a magnitude of 100x, possibly even more.

idunnosomename

this is fucking horrible and yet our "sensible papers" like The Times will still be scaremongering about "small boats" in a week or so, and the BBC will be uncritically reading it out

chveik

the french government is as bad as the uk one in that regard. and calais is a concentration camp, there's no other way to put it

idunnosomename

French government is complete shit and full of criminal bureaucrats. teetering on edge of fascism for years

mothman

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 24, 2021, 11:43:43 PMFrench government is complete shit and full of criminal bureaucrats. teetering on edge of fascism for years
Which goes a long way towards explaining why people want to come here rather than stay there. They seem to be under the misapprehension that here is any better...
Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 24, 2021, 11:07:59 PMIf they'd just get all the multi millionaires to pay their tax it'd offset any handouts the migrants might get by a magnitude of 100x, possibly even more.
Why oh why do you want to punish our blessed wealth creators?

Video Game Fan 2000

France and Germany are buck passing to other nations. Ideally the camps will be located in one of the less favoured countries then problem solved! We can hoist barb wire and forget about it. Liberal democracy is saved.

Wait until the EU gets an army.

idunnosomename

the times reports

QuoteAmong the migrants was an Afghan soldier who had worked with British forces. His family had decided to risk their lives to cross the channel after they "waited so long for help" from Britain

yeah well maybe if your paper hadn't been lobbying against so hard against people seeking asylum here for past couple decades they could've come over in a proper fucking boat. fucking christ.

Fr.Bigley

Those cheese eating surrender frogs are 100% to blame. They even tried to refute that 31 died, saying the British news outlets were sensationalising the numbers. Okay France, 4 lives short of utter pedantry. Still doesn't justify why as said above, the news crews captured their guards just watching them just launch frome the beach without intervention.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 25, 2021, 12:05:14 AMFrance and Germany are buck passing to other nations. Ideally the camps will be located in one of the less favoured countries then problem solved! We can hoist barb wire and forget about it. Liberal democracy is saved.

Wait until the EU gets an army.
Do you... not know about Dublin III and how other EU nations were pressured to take a fair proportion of all the refugees fleeing from Syria because countries like Italy were being overwhelmed?

oh by the way none of the EU nations are fucking blameless in any of this. In Ireland we shove people in "direct provision centres" where they live eight to a room, are fed shit food that's unfit for prisons, at set times so people can either be present at those times or not eat, and also the centres (usually crappy hotels) are located away from urban centres just to frustrate any attempts people might make to get a job and integrate with the community. We should hang our heads in shame.

Paul Calf

A huge numbner of replies to this news I've seen along the lines of "Well obviously it's a terrible tragedy BUT..."

31 people dead as a direct result of the immigration policy of a democratically-elected government. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 25, 2021, 09:10:24 AMDo you... not know about Dublin III and how other EU nations were pressured to take a fair proportion of all the refugees fleeing from Syria because countries like Italy were being overwhelmed?

Not sure what you're getting at? Do you think I'm being too harsh on the EU?

France and Germany make a big show of doing their part but the way they treat refugees is abhorent, and there is nothing their governments would like more than to see migrants stop before their borders. The amount of refugees France agrees to accept/support is substantially lower than other nations and Chviek's assessment of the Calais situation is accurate.

Kankurette

GB News being classy as ever and worrying that MORE migrants are going to be coming over.

Cerys

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 25, 2021, 09:05:04 AMThey even tried to refute that 31 died, saying the British news outlets were sensationalising the numbers. Okay France, 4 lives short of utter pedantry.

Especially seeing as at least one of the victims was pregnant.  Bet they didn't factor that in.

jobotic

Quote from: Kankurette on November 25, 2021, 02:59:51 PMGB News being classy as ever and worrying that MORE migrants are going to be coming over.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 25, 2021, 02:59:51 PMGB News being classy as ever and worrying that MORE migrants are going to be coming over.

Is that as classy as Scott Benton MP (corrupt slayer of cultural Marxism and homosexuality) saying these deaths show we need to get rid of (The) Human Rights (Act)?

Butchers Blind

These repeated deaths are heartbreaking because we know they will happen again as long as countries and successive governments fail to take charge and responsibility in helping. Far easier to pass the blame around and keep labelling these desperate people as 'them'

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 25, 2021, 01:12:48 PMNot sure what you're getting at? Do you think I'm being too harsh on the EU?

France and Germany make a big show of doing their part but the way they treat refugees is abhorent, and there is nothing their governments would like more than to see migrants stop before their borders. The amount of refugees France agrees to accept/support is substantially lower than other nations and Chviek's assessment of the Calais situation is accurate.

Barnaby Raine was excellent on this point on last night's TyskySour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvTaUs6oLo

holyzombiejesus

I walked past the newspaper in Co-Op earlier and it was so fucking galling seeing the scum papers shedding their crocodile tears. The fucking Sun pretending to be sad when they had happily printed a column calling for migrant boats to be sank. I increasingly really fucking hate this country.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 24, 2021, 09:51:16 PMMedia always call them migrants. Actually I think you'll find they're people but easier to label them as such.

'Migrant' means someone who is on the move, the implication being that the motion is still ongoing, rather like that of migratory birds, which never settle somewhere permanently but are on the move every year. It fits the discourse to call them migrants rather than immigrants.

I was a 'migrant' for about two hours, when I was in the process of moving over. Since then, I have been an 'immigrant'. And I am not going to be an 'emigrant' either, because for all its flaws, I like this country.

Video Game Fan 2000

I use migrant by reflex because it seems like the most neutral, humanising word possible. People moving for a reason. No implied judgement. Now it seems on the verge of becoming a slur. I never used "asylum seeker" because it the one that turned up in racist chain emails from managers and what'd get bellowed out of cars.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 25, 2021, 08:00:49 PMBarnaby Raine was excellent on this point on last night's TyskySour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvTaUs6oLo

About half way through this, cheers for the link.

edit: excellent to hear the fact that legal protections and papers are a class issue stated so clearly in English and about UK policy, and how it directly impacts stuff thats more intuitively about class like wage gaps.

mothman

It feels like whatever we call them, the RW will find a way to weaponise it.

Migrant? Get people thinking "economic migrant" whenever they hear or say it = their not "refugees" there coming owver ere to take are jobs, occupy are council houses, swamp are NHS.

Asylum seekers? Same deal. When it was the term in common use you could almost hear the quotes when they said it - "asylum seekers." The implication being they're not really seeking asylum or fleeing persecution, they're coming owver ere etc.