Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Yay, by far the funniest contestant won.

Not a great series overall. I didn't dislike any of the cast, but only Morgana and Guz stood out. Though the last couple of episodes picked up quite a bit in terms of quality. And there were several very good live tasks, which made up for some of the tedious pre-recorded ones. Hopefully Alex raised his game for S13.

MigraineBoy

The final two eps have had the best live tasks of the series & both benefitted from having no audience. Otherwise Greg would've needed to be blindfolded for tonights & the contestants would've been blindfolded last week.  Otherwise the crowd "oohs & ahhs" would've been tip-offs.

Ja'moke

Alan Davies made up for 10 episodes of dullness with that WOW!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 25, 2021, 10:24:45 PMAlan Davies made up for 10 episodes of dullness with that WOW!

I thought he came across really well all series.

That said, only a couple in TM history haven't.

Ja'moke

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 25, 2021, 10:40:02 PMI thought he came across really well all series.

He didn't come across bad by any means. He just never really made me laugh until that moment.

beanheadmcginty

I didn't realise that florid could mean red faced until this episode. I only ever knew it as meaning elaborate.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Was that drinking task not a fairly big choking risk?

BritishHobo

I thought that, it seemed like the riskiest task they've done, bizarrely 

Ja'moke

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 25, 2021, 11:25:43 PMWas that drinking task not a fairly big choking risk?

I wonder if Horne thought that one up during No More Jockeys. I'm pretty sure he tried attempting it himself on there.

Virgo76

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 25, 2021, 10:40:02 PMI thought he came across really well all series.

I agree. I've no idea what all the sniping about Alan Davies on here was all about. He's been a perfectly decent contestant throughout and was very funny on yesterday's episode.

"Alan Davies - Ugh, can't stand him, my only hope is that he'll be so shit that everyone will mock him ala Baddiel...Without Stephen Fry there to fawn over his audience mugging, there really isn't a lot left he can do."
Some typically fair and balanced comments there. Stephen Fry hasn't even hosted QI for nearly six years!

Virgo76

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 25, 2021, 10:13:13 PM12 series, 12 white winners. Getting a bit embarrassing now and this was the first series to have two non-white contestants. (Something they're repeating for s13) I know it's luck of the draw but we were *this* close to a Guz win

I sometimes wonder if there's some unconscious cultural bias in the way the tasks are presented.
By my count, around one in five contestants have been non-white overall. up to the end of this series.
Guz did seem a bit uncomfortable during the tasks filmed in a church.
I wonder how everyone else would have been had they been filming in a Mosque?

turnstyle

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 26, 2021, 06:37:00 AMI agree. I've no idea what all the sniping about Alan Davies on here was all about. He's been a perfectly decent contestant throughout and was very funny on yesterday's episode.

I feel like Alan has been fine.

My top Alan moment was on the task when he took off his hoodie that he has been wearing all series, only to be wearing a t-shirt with the identical motif underneath.

Spoiler alert
Also, the nerd in me appreciates the Simpsons deep cut of the design
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 26, 2021, 06:37:00 AMI agree. I've no idea what all the sniping about Alan Davies on here was all about. He's been a perfectly decent contestant throughout and was very funny on yesterday's episode.

"Alan Davies - Ugh, can't stand him, my only hope is that he'll be so shit that everyone will mock him ala Baddiel...Without Stephen Fry there to fawn over his audience mugging, there really isn't a lot left he can do."
Some typically fair and balanced comments there. Stephen Fry hasn't even hosted QI for nearly six years!

Fair and balanced based on watching him for 25 years. Sorry that someone doesn't like a comedian you like.

Cracking live task that, Alex still has it in him now and again. Not a series that's inspiring a rewatch though.

I just watched the final having abandoned this series a few episodes ago.

Much to my surprise, I thought it was absolutely great - classic Taskmaster and plenty of belly laughs, all as a result of tasks that gave the contestants the space to be funny.

The weakest series by far for me, Clive. But I'm pleased it ended on such a high.

greencalx

The last two eps were well up to scratch, so not sure what went wrong with the others. I don't particularly intend to rewatch any of the series, but if I were to do such a thing I think I'd come to  this one before 6 or 8.

beanheadmcginty

Morgana very enjoyably tells Ed Gamble to "put your foot off the cunt pedal" in the latest Taskmaster podcast.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Nice to see the (joint) best contestant win. No offense to whoever won the previous series, but I think we all wish it had been Wozniak.

I wonder if the scoring system is the root of the problem with the tasks. If they're going for easily quantifiable results, entertainment value is a secondary concern. "Fastest wins" can encourage a mad dash, but it's not guaranteed. The classic melon eating task could easily have been boring - it was just lucky that Key and Ranganathan went utterly off the rails with it.

Having said that, the prize task is essentially judged on laughs and that generally hasn't been producing the goods for some time.

I nearly gave myself a hernia laughing at Guz's proposal. I think I should check out Man Like Mobeen next.

greencalx

There's nothing to stop Greg scoring for entertainment value rather than sticking to the letter of the task. Might encourage contestants to go for more laughs. Although I guess they don't know how they'll be scored till they get to the studio.

Captain Z

Small Taskmaster-related bonus at the end of the recent "No More Jockeys Training Game":

https://youtu.be/rjwarYsa-0w

Wouldn't be surprised to see 'touch as many former Taskmaster contestants as possible before the live show' as a future post-Covid task.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2021, 09:50:12 AMMorgana very enjoyably tells Ed Gamble to "put your foot off the cunt pedal" in the latest Taskmaster podcast.

She's fantastically foul-mouthed, isn't she?

steamed hams

Last task was brilliant. Up on YouTube in full for anyone that wants to watch again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6DfUvtPEM

Agree that it's been one of the weaker series, but I still think you could edit it down into a pretty fantastic six or seven episodes. Really they should film all the tasks, look at the quality of what they've got, and then decide on the number of episodes based on that. Not that that would ever happen of course. Although I guess just coming up with better tasks would be another way of fixing the problems.

One thing that's starting to annoy me is that Greg gives out joint scores so often these days. Too many tasks where two people get five points, two people get four points and one person gets three or whatever. I know it's hard to separate people sometimes, but please just do it anyway.

holyzombiejesus

I think they should change the make up of the 2 teams for the team tasks throughout the series.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 26, 2021, 06:41:39 AMI sometimes wonder if there's some unconscious cultural bias in the way the tasks are presented.
By my count, around one in five contestants have been non-white overall. up to the end of this series.
Guz did seem a bit uncomfortable during the tasks filmed in a church.
I wonder how everyone else would have been had they been filming in a Mosque?

Yes - each series has had one non-white contestant until series 12, which had two. I sense they are very aware of the issue - series 13 again has two non-white faces - and it is particularly evident in the all-white champion of champions episodes

olliebean

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 28, 2021, 12:14:30 AMI think they should change the make up of the 2 teams for the team tasks throughout the series.

Probably awkward to do that as all the tasks for each team will be filmed in one day, when all members of that team are available.

Norton Canes

Finally caught up with this. Thought it contained the best and worst of the show. Drinking task was awful - just drink the drink, your mouth's open the whole time because the drink's going into your mouth. Not even a task. By contrast the final task was one of the best things I've ever seen on the programme. Hilarious to see VCM not only be bad at the task, but be out-thought by Greg in every round.

Muted reponse from Mrs Canes when Morgana was announced the winner. I think she thinks I lust over her or something.

Norton Canes

Desiree's proposal was an all-time great moment too, not sure how that wasn't worth five points.

Endicott

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 01, 2021, 08:32:48 AMFinally caught up with this. Thought it contained the best and worst of the show. Drinking task was awful - just drink the drink, your mouth's open the whole time because the drink's going into your mouth. Not even a task.

Have you tried it? I did, it was impossible. Drink won't go down my throat if my mouth is open, I choked instead. I reckon you need to be the type who can chug a yard of ale in 10 seconds, then you could do this.

BritishHobo

I figured Norton meant just drink it normally, and then argue that your mouth was open, as the drink wouldn't have been able to go in otherwise. As Alan successfully argued with the straw, the rim of the glass would be keeping it open.

The sort-of muted "yeah it was open" reaction that Alan got really underlined the weirdness of that task. It felt like one of the most limited tasks they've ever done in terms of options. It's possible they were hoping somebody would do Norton's suggestion, and so undermine all the other attempts - but then the 'go on then' shrug that Alan's straw got made it seem like they weren't really all that fussed on that task.