Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GamesMaster Coming Back

Started by Malcy, September 29, 2021, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Both. Swap between them as they're talking, like some kind of glitch.

That's just made me think; was the Gamesmaster ripped off from Max Headroom?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 25, 2021, 02:49:36 PM
That's just made me think; was the Gamesmaster ripped off from Max Headroom?
That's what I assumed, with the glitching and stuff, but never heard anything official.

Cloud

Really did not expect this, and really did not expect Sir Trevor McDonald.  He seems a great choice in my mind!  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

It'd be nice if Bob Mills is up for a bit of the old Games World too.

Rev+

I can't believe they've got him, but Sir Trevor is the absolute perfect choice.  There's a certain similarity between his vocal inflections and Patrick Moore's.  You can believe it's the same character without damaging the canon.

Him and Fat Rab, this could actually be decent.

Ham Bap

Trailer looks good tbh. Captures the atmosphere, looks like they havent veered away.
Brings back so many memories Gamesmaster, should be good.

No sign of Dave Perry as far as I could see.

Oh well.

Mister Six

Quote from: Rev+ on October 26, 2021, 01:04:19 AM
I can't believe they've got him, but Sir Trevor is the absolute perfect choice.  There's a certain similarity between his vocal inflections and Patrick Moore's.  You can believe it's the same character without damaging the canon.

You're absolutely right. It's almost spooky how good he sounds in the trailer.

But can he pull off that tone of indignation and frustration? He never struck me as the most charismatic news reader.

EDIT: Bloody hell, he's 82! Looks good for it.

beanheadmcginty

This looks fucking mint. So refreshing to see a reboot of something where they've made an authentic effort to recapture the old atmosphere. Whoever is responsible for hiring Trev is a fucking genius.

Replies From View

Hopefully Bad Influence reboot is around the corner.  I would like to know the hidden cost of handhelds

Mister Six

Malcy

monkfromhavana

Bring back Bad Influence with Nam Rood, Andy Crane and Violet Berlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQEDt5Goe_8

Not terrible.
Would work a lot better as a half hour show with an ad break, I think. 45 minutes is too much in one go when the content is all so similar.

Were they sponsored by nintendo? it was a bit eyebrow raising how often they mentioned the switch.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 05, 2021, 01:37:00 PMNo sign of Dave Perry as far as I could see.

Oh well.
I suppose he is a bit of a LOLCOW, but honestly I don't see how he'd fit into it.

thr0b

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 22, 2021, 02:14:51 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQEDt5Goe_8

Not terrible.
Would work a lot better as a half hour show with an ad break, I think. 45 minutes is too much in one go when the content is all so similar.

Were they sponsored by nintendo? it was a bit eyebrow raising how often they mentioned the switch.

Well, it's going to be on E4 in an hour slot, with ad breaks. So that'll break it up nicely.

I thought it was really good - tremendous homage to the original titles, a news-style beat whenever the Gamesmaster was speaking. Casual malevolence from the new Gamesmaster was unexpected but amusing, as was the deliberately crap abyss effect - "aaaaahhh".

Lovely stuff.

Quote from: thr0b on November 22, 2021, 10:32:27 AMWell, it's going to be on E4 in an hour slot, with ad breaks. So that'll break it up nicely.

What I meant was, I think 20 minutes would be around about the right length for it, but I'm rounding that up to half an hour with an ad break, so like 25 minutes, which is how long the show was originally.

An hour would be fine if they mixed it up a bit, a couple more reviews or something.

Pseudopath

Really enjoyed this. Any show that can get Sir Trevor McDonald to start spitting Jamaican patois is fine in my book.

beanheadmcginty

Amazing how they've managed to get mid-1980s era Geena Davis on as co-commentator. Enjoyed this, especially the brief pan down to the disappointed dad's face as his son played Beat Saber.

The Guppy

Call of Duty bot matches aren't good telly, and I thought they were about to make the same mistake with Splatoon. But a RUTHLESS LITTLE CUNT is good telly, and I hope he's back every week.

Whenever they cut to the audience I remember my impending death.

Great to see Rab review Cruisin' Blast. Proper public service there.

beanheadmcginty

Apparently that kid is genuinely Big Boy Barry's son, which makes it all the better. I just assumed they were pretending it to be the case.

McDonald doesn't quite have the snippiness of Moore, but I'm mildly surprised how faithful this is to the original series otherwise. I'd have thought that would seem desperately uncool to the yoof of today. Then again, I suppose it's not really aiming for the kids.

I couldn't help but giggle when the contestants went into the abyss. Pure '90s nostalgia.

Shame about the product placement puff pieces.

beanheadmcginty

From this week's Popbitch mailout:

"Reviews for E4's reboot of GamesMaster have been glowing, which will be a nice treat for the new GamesMaster, Sir Trevor McDonald. There might be some other nice treats in store for him down the line too.

Trevor's predecessor, Sir Patrick Moore, enjoyed a great many perks of engaging with the younger audience that GamesMaster attracted – including one famous lads' mag cover star. The model in question hit it off so well with the monocled old stargazer when the two of them met that she ended up giving him a blowie."

Now obviously I can't be certain, but having looked through the list of guests on Wikipedia, my money is on Jo Guest.

thr0b

Given Moore's bits were not filmed at the same time as the show proper, it rather suggests that a Page Three Stunnah (tm) sought him out later.

imitationleather

I just refuse to believe that story can possibly true.

I know, Popbitch publishing lies. I never thought I'd see the day either.

Sonny_Jim

She'd have to be pretty handy, maybe a mechanic as you'd need a gearbox stand to hold the bulk out of the way. 

Excuse me. I just threw up in my soul.

Apparently this series is only 3 episodes. I suppose E4 gets the same number of advert breaks out of it either way, but would it not have made more sense to do 6 half hour episodes instead? As much as I enjoyed the first one, 45 minutes is almost as bloated as the Gamesmaster's head*.

Not a complaint, but I was a bit surprised by the Videogaiden style review segment. I guess it makes sense to have Rab do them - since he already was a games reviewer - but it did deflate the nostalgia bubble, just a little.

* His cranium, not his fallated penis tip, you dirty sod.

thr0b

I'm guessing that is was a pilot series, mostly funded by Future Publishing*, the sinister megaglobal corporation which owns the current production company and owns GamesMaster outright these days.
* Plus the Facebook sponsorship.

And a thirty minute show now is shorter than a thirty minute show in the 90s, so if you want to keep to roughly a 2-3 challenge + features structure, you're going for 45 minutes.

So essentially - film a few episodes to see if it works, but also justify the costs of a new set. Then it's all ready to roll if they want to do more episodes down the line. 

I thought it was good fun. Especially loved the contestants falling in the lava, Tim & Eric-style, and Rab explaining stuff to Grado like he's a child. Not really sure what Ty brings to the show as Rab and Frankie seem to dominate everything. He's quite passive and I'm not sure he's well suited to the crowd interaction stuff. You want someone with a bit more energy to hang with the other two and hype the crowd up.

Considering how badly wrong they could have gotten this, I'm surprised at just how well it worked. You can tell it was made by people who give a shit.