Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Cale

Started by AllisonSays, November 25, 2021, 11:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllisonSays

I feel like a tit starting topics in this forum because I'm a horrible dilettante in my music tastes and I don't know anything. But anyway. I saw the VU documentary there, loved it, reminded me of how much I loved those first two records, and also Paris 1916 by John Cale. Who looks so sexy in the documentary, BTW, at like 70.

In my enthusiasm for the documentary I listened to Songs for Drella, actually pretty great, but especially Dream, with Cale reading Warhol's diary. Beautiful. But I can't get into any of John Cale's other records, I guess Fear is OK. I know he produced some good stuff. Does anyone recommend anything else by him?

If you like Paris 1919, no reason you won't enjoy Vintage Violence. Very much drawn from the same well.

the science eel

Nowhere near as good tho'. 'Gideon's Bible' is wonderful.

The other ones from before P 1919 are worth a listen. Church of Anthrax and The Academy In Peril

P 1919 is a masterpiece.

SteveDave

I can recommend the compilation "Guts" which gathers the best bits of his Island records in one handy package. It's also got a great cover.

sardines

I was going to mention Cale in the albums made by old people discussion as I think Hobosapiens is one of his best albums.

Music for a New Society is a personal favourite. Much more understated than anything else he has done abd contains some of his strongest songwriting.

Cale has also put out quite a few live releases which are worth checking out.
'Fragments of a Rainy Season' is bloody gorgeous. A mainly solo piano show going through his back catalogue.
'Sabotage: Live' is pretty much as it says.
'Kevin Ayers / John Cale / Brian Eno / Nico -June 1, 1974' probably depends on your tolerance level for Nico . Personally I'm a fan so think this is great.

The Culture Bunker

I much, much prefer Cale's solo work to the VU and anything Lou Reed did - better songwriter, better singer (at least to my ears). 'Fear' is a particular favourite, though 'Music for a New Society' is brilliant too.

SpiderChrist

His version of Heartbreak Hotel is pretty awesome.

SteveDave

Quote from: sardines on November 26, 2021, 09:30:52 AM'Kevin Ayers / John Cale / Brian Eno / Nico -June 1, 1974' probably depends on your tolerance level for Nico . Personally I'm a fan so think this is great.

That also gave us the opening line to "Guts"

"The bugger in the short sleeves fucked my wife
Did it quick then split"

As Cale found Kevin Ayers balls deep in his partner.

the science eel

Don't forget his version of 'Hallelujah', which is something close to definitive (I think we've forgotten that awful OTT X-Factor thing now)

AllisonSays

Quote from: SteveDave on November 26, 2021, 09:58:07 AMThat also gave us the opening line to "Guts"

"The bugger in the short sleeves fucked my wife
Did it quick then split"

As Cale found Kevin Ayers balls deep in his partner.

Kevin Ayers was an international playboy! I don't care for his music but he must've had something going on. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, will check them out. LC'S Hallelujah is the best one, though.

phantom_power

That June 1st album is the most esoteric record I have managed to pick up for a quick from the charity shop

Johnboy

Slow Dazzle, the LP before Fear is pretty good too

His noughties output was good if not great