Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Big Owl closes?

Started by Thosworth, November 20, 2021, 03:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thosworth

Here's a Mirror article from over a year ago where this conclusion on the cards, so it's been inevitable since then. Choice quote: "Regus was founded by chief executive Mark Dixon, 60, originally from Essex and now living in Monaco."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/please-release-regus-go-22658849

What an incredibly frustrating and demoralising situation. On Twitter Joel Morris mentioned they'd taken legal advice, but they were completely locked in to their contract.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Obvious Things: Rule of Three hosts Jason Hazely and Joel Morris are not the same people as The Inbetweeners creators Damon Beesley and Iain Morris.

Neomod

I've only ever listened to the CMP and if the ads on that are anything to go by Great Big Owl's other content is mostly gash.

Rolf Lundgren

Shame to hear this although can't they all just carry on without the umbrella company? Hope they do Rule of Three again but losing thousands might dampen your spirits to carry on.

The Roofdog

Is Box of Delights recommended then? The only thing I associate Julia Raeside with is getting a puff piece published in the Guardian about how great the dreadful George Lamb's god-awful 6 Music show was, despite being the weekly TV correspondent for said show at the time.

paruses

Yes. Generally speaking. There are a few duds (the ones with Richard Madeley just because he's so pompous) but a nice 15/20 minutes.

Biggest disappointment for me was The Sopranos intervention one. Could have been so much better if they had had two people on who knew about The Sopranos in any depth - and there were a couple of glaring errors which really jarred. And I'm not even an that much of  Sopranos nerd.

Wouks recommend the Ghost Watch and Blind Date eps if you want a couple of solids so you're not put off straight away.

paruses

Victoria Wood one is really good too.

Gurke and Hare

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 25, 2021, 01:22:21 PMOoh, what's that called?

If I may?

I think it's an episode of Box of Delights about Victoria Wood.

It's sad about Great Big Owl going - many of my favourite pods were on it (The The One Show Show, Box of Delights, Curse of Strictly, Friends with Friends, Rule of Three... ummmm... ChartMusic) - but I wonder, as most of these are carrying on (and in the case of CM, had a life before GBO took them on), what exactly they did.

Sold adverts, you say? Most of the adverts I heard on there seemed to be for other GBO podcasts. Now, I'm no Alan Sugar, but I think I can see a flaw in that business model.

paruses

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 25, 2021, 01:22:21 PMOoh, what's that called?

Yes sorry - it's a Box of Delights episode.

Why isn't there a Victoria Wood podcast? Every discussion I hear about her is really interesting.

Gurke and Hare

Thanks for clearing that up - I'll check it out.

Definite potential for a dedicated podcast.

MojoJojo

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 25, 2021, 02:08:18 PMIt's sad about Great Big Owl going - many of my favourite pods were on it (The The One Show Show, Box of Delights, Curse of Strictly, Friends with Friends, Rule of Three... ummmm... ChartMusic) - but I wonder, as most of these are carrying on (and in the case of CM, had a life before GBO took them on), what exactly they did.

Sold adverts, you say? Most of the adverts I heard on there seemed to be for other GBO podcasts. Now, I'm no Alan Sugar, but I think I can see a flaw in that business model.

From the sound of it, a large part of what they did was provide a recording studio that the podcasts could share. I haven't listened to any GBO podcasts, but pretty sure when I did they had proper adverts.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 24, 2021, 11:28:46 AMObvious Things: Rule of Three hosts Jason Hazely and Joel Morris are not the same people as The Inbetweeners creators Damon Beesley and Iain Morris.

I think they're the bulk of the Framley Examiner team though.

gilbertharding

I was checking to see what had become of Great Big Owl, and clicked on the link to Companies House... to find that it still exists as a company, and yes - the directors are also directors of a company called Framley Examiner Ltd, and another company called (and this is nice) Mole Valley Valves Ltd.

*presses 'post'*

Thosworth

I initially thought this post got a bump from a trailer that arrived yesterday in the Rule Of Three feed, which is for Comfort Blanket:

Joel Morris talks entertainment media of all forms with a guest. Sounds like a more broad-ranging version of his wife's TV podcast Box Of Delights, which sounds like a dig, but isn't, as I love both of their past outputs equally, and am definitely looking forward to this.