Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Could you point me towards its general direction too, please?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: studpuppet on November 25, 2021, 03:49:50 PMLooks like there are two in the wild - 1.5GB or 8.3GB versions. Want it fast or pretty?

It just showed up at the place I was checking.  Direct dl too, not torrent.

studpuppet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 25, 2021, 04:23:29 PMCould you point me towards its general direction too, please?

You have been duly pointed.

lazyhour

I too would really appreciate a point...

Goldentony

Like that a big part of this is
Spoiler alert
trying to force them to do a boat cruise and eventual Libyan open air televised concert in just over a week
[close]
. Never knew that. Big fan of
Spoiler alert
the short go of what sounds like Don't Let Me Down becoming OH ENOCH POWELL
[close]

SteveDave

Fuckinell. This was incredible.

In every way.

Bernice

This is fantastic. Really enjoy the presence of Lindsey Hogg being an annoying cunt insisting they go to Libya - "imagine: torchlight! 2000 Arabs!" - and the bit that I may have imagined where John snaps and shouts "shut up ya git!"

The meandering pace, full of noodling and half conversations, really gives you a feel for the "characters" of the piece. Particularly, in part one, George, who's quiet and surly but fundamentally lacks the confidence to state what it is he's after, so just sort of quietly seethes until quitting all pass-agg. Really looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

Custard

Yeah, this is sensational. Fascinating, heartwarming, it's literally being a fly on the wall, watching the greatest band ever slowly piecing something together

Spoiler alert
Macca writing Get Back, with George and Ringo getting into it. Fuck me. What a moment
[close]

Magical

SteveDave

Part one is now on the high seas so I'll be watching and re-watching it all day.

phantom_power

Just started the second one now and fuck me if it isn't even better

Spoiler alert
Guest appearance by Peter Sellars
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: phantom_power on November 26, 2021, 10:45:21 AMJust started the second one now and fuck me if it isn't even better

Ah, great.  That clip has been available for years in a horrible b&w degraded quality but I was just wondering yesterday if we were going to see that in the documentary.  I wonder if we're going to get the version of Get Back with the dodgy accents.

phantom_power

It is really obvious how much happier they are when they fuck off out of Twickenham and abandon the idea of the live TV special, though I am not sure which of those is the thing that lifts the mood, or even the blow-up with George and eventual reconciliation, though I imagine they are all tied together to a degree.

It does put paid to a lot of the established narrative from some quarters that they hated each other and the whole thing was a massive chore for them all

wosl

How conspicuous is the DNR?  There was a hunch going around pre-transmission that with the full-blown thing the grain might not look as smoothed out as it does on the teaser clips.

Goldentony

Quote from: wosl on November 26, 2021, 04:13:25 PMHow conspicuous is the DNR?  There was a hunch going around pre-transmission that with the full-blown thing the grain might not look as smoothed out as it does on the teaser clips.

weird moments where the picture looks fine and then moments where it looks like everythings been put through a watercolor painting filter. Parts reminded me of the Police Academy blu rays. Not the picture though, the overall content.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: phantom_power on November 26, 2021, 10:45:21 AM
Spoiler alert
Guest appearance by Peter Sellars
[close]

Damn, they edited out the drug references, apart from one little thing which comes over as a non sequitur without having the preceding bits.

Quote from: wosl on November 26, 2021, 04:13:25 PMHow conspicuous is the DNR?  There was a hunch going around pre-transmission that with the full-blown thing the grain might not look as smoothed out as it does on the teaser clips.

I've enjoyed it so much (I only just finished watching the first hour all the way through, after only having skimmed bits late last night) that I never even noticed anything off.

The Sellers cameo is odd, isn't it? He's so subdued and uncomfortable. I guess he wasn't expecting the film crew to be there during his informal visit; he famously hated appearing on camera as 'himself'.

Anyway, this is amazing. It's even more fascinating than I ever could've dreamed of. And it really does eviscerate the myth of them being at loggerheads during those sessions, they're getting on and having a laugh for the most part. Their occasional disagreements aren't vicious, it's more a case of old friends becoming exasperated with each other. 

John is more confrontational than the other three (Ringo isn't confrontational at all), but he never comes across as aggressive. Just a bit narked at most. The rapport between him and Paul is so nice to behold; at the risk of sounding sentimental, they obviously loved each other.

I also love the fact that...
Spoiler alert
Magic Alex's incompetence becomes a running gag. I've never fully understood why they indulged that total chancer. There's a very funny scene in episode two where they openly take the piss out of his latest useless invention. So they knew on some level that he didn't have a fucking clue.
[close]

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 26, 2021, 06:59:17 PMJohn is more confrontational than the other three (Ringo isn't confrontational at all), but he never comes across as aggressive. Just a bit narked at most. The rapport between him and Paul is so nice to behold; at the risk of sounding sentimental, they obviously loved each other.

The amount of eye-contact, yeah. It's sweet.

So the break-up was really to do with legal shit, right? I mean, even though they got exasperated, and I suppose for much of the time they were just plain fed up with playing together (apart from Paul, maybe), they didn't seem to want the friendships to end. It's not like some Metallica thing where they're throwing stuff at each other.

Custard

Part two is bobbing about in the tide

That's the next 2.5 hours sorted! (At work)

Harry Badger

About an hour into the first one. Magic.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg has come up with the first Spinal Tap moment when brainstorming gig venues

Spoiler alert
"What about a hospital? I don't mean for really sick kids, just ones with broken legs."
[close]

the science eel

He's an annoying presence, that fella. I'm surprised John hasn't told him to bugger off with his daft ideas

Custard

Episode 2 -
Spoiler alert
Anyone think the secret microphone in the flower pot is a bit dodgy, morally? It's clearly a conversation people were never meant to hear. Felt a bit weird listening in to it. Even all these years later.
[close]

Still did though, obviously!

Replies From View

Loving this.  So much positive stuff to say, but first I'll jump in to quickly ask whether anyone else noticed the little backwards fragments that appear every now and then.  You can tell from the way people turn their heads and blink in cutaways that sometimes the clips have been reversed.

For example George Martin in possibly his first appearance in the first episode.  At first I thought "he doesn't half move like he's backwards - the way his eyes are gliding slightly behind the turn of his head, then snapping into place when his head stops".  Then I rewatched it and realised it actually was reversed.  There's loads of other examples.

Custard

Heh, Magic Alex has been a bit of a cult figure to me since his small mention in the Anthology series, so to see he was basically Frank from Some Mothers Do Have Em and a complete chancer is for some reason extremely funny

kalowski

Only negative so fare (I'm on episode 1) is the pointless dubbing of crowd sounds when they play Rock and Roll Music. Just let me hear the music!!

the science eel

Why is Mal trying to get the lyrics down?

Bently Sheds

Just finished the first one and loved it. Towards the end, where Hogg's really pushing his Libya plan/Beatle Cruise Experience and Dick James slithers in selling them on the sheet music gig, you see how self interested individuals considered the band an enormous cash cow they could milk dry.

Loved the John & Paul (and the Linda & Yoko) interaction and even the George-free freakout at the end with Yoko on vocals.

Ringo - the patient Beatle.

Custard

It's fascinating seeing them finally concentrate fully and get down to business once Billy Preston rolls up. He really was a healing balm over everything

SpiderChrist

Just got back from my mate's house after an evening of curry and Fabness. Only watched the first one so far but... wow.

Ringo - adorable
Paul - enthusiastic/frustrated
George - chippy
John - cunt

God knows why nobody smacked Lindsey-Hogg one. Or Dick James for that matter (grubby twat).