Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Theme

Started by H-O-W-L, November 18, 2021, 06:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the pink make your eyes bleed?

AAAAARRRGGHH!
68 (42.8%)
No, it's lovely
46 (28.9%)
Meh
9 (5.7%)
An tSaoi
21 (13.2%)
pff.
3 (1.9%)
it will be better when we are all allowed to press our penises together onto it
10 (6.3%)
rail moat
0 (0%)
raoul moat
1 (0.6%)
Raul Panther III
0 (0%)
pisspot poo Pope
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 159

olliebean

While I think of it, my wish for the New buttons is that they could be before the topic title on the Watched Topics page, the same as they are on all the other pages they appear on. Currently Watched Topics has them after the topic title, which means they're not in a consistent position as the length of the title varies.

thr0b

I really like the current theme, after being critical of the previous new theme.

One thing - and I hope it's not been asked 53 times already; any chance we can have a link to the top of the forum at the bottom of each page like in the old days?

Barry Admin

Quote from: thr0b on November 26, 2021, 03:07:02 PMI really like the current theme, after being critical of the previous new theme.

One thing - and I hope it's not been asked 53 times already; any chance we can have a link to the top of the forum at the bottom of each page like in the old days?

It has lol, but it's okay. I'm working on it but don't know much about CSS or the new templating system that this version of the software uses. Or indeed responsive themes. But I think I found the code so will try and fix that and add back jump boxes. In the meantime, they're in landscape mode on your phone.

Quote from: olliebean on November 26, 2021, 03:03:49 PMWhile I think of it, my wish for the New buttons is that they could be before the topic title on the Watched Topics page, the same as they are on all the other pages they appear on. Currently Watched Topics has them after the topic title, which means they're not in a consistent position as the length of the title varies.

Can get to this eventually. Slightly nervous about making too many changes to the templates as I'm still unsure about board updates now. I have to update it a LOT more frequently for the next while, so don't want to have to redo loads of changes every time.

I lost my best anti-spam tools with this update too, so verifying new accounts is taking up a lot of my time again. So stuff like the above is not a priority, but I am taking note.

thr0b

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 03:16:32 PMIt has lol, but it's okay. I'm working on it but don't know much about CSS or the new templating system that this version of the software uses. Or indeed responsive themes. But I think I found the code so will try and fix that and add back jump boxes. In the meantime, they're in landscape mode on your phone.

Cheers, sir; might a quick fix be adding a link to https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/ below the Paypal etc links? That way you need not tinker with the forum crud itself, rather just a link to the homepage?

Dex Sawash

Is 100x100 the magic size to avoid the avatar frames?

I got mine "close enuf" and figured it would just stretch/smash it to fit like old times.

Barry Admin

Quote from: thr0b on November 26, 2021, 03:32:17 PMCheers, sir; might a quick fix be adding a link to https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/ below the Paypal etc links? That way you need not tinker with the forum crud itself, rather just a link to the homepage?

Ohhh that's a good idea!

Thing is, that bit is all built into the theme, so what I can do is put that link at the bottom.

I also hope to get that blank space down there removed.

Will add the link now, brilliant idea to make things easier to use in the meantime, thank you.

(It'll still be under the "support" bit as I can't easily add anything above that title at the minute, whereas I can change those options very easily)

Barry Admin

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 26, 2021, 03:39:19 PMIs 100x100 the magic size to avoid the avatar frames?

I got mine "close enuf" and figured it would just stretch/smash it to fit like old times.

Probably just needs to be the exact same horizontal and vertical measurements so the image scales. I can't see what your avatar size is on my phone so I dunno.

thr0b

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 04:17:50 PMOhhh that's a good idea!

Thing is, that bit is all built into the theme, so what I can do is put that link at the bottom.

I also hope to get that blank space down there removed.

Will add the link now, brilliant idea to make things easier to use in the meantime, thank you.

(It'll still be under the "support" bit as I can't easily add anything above that title at the minute, whereas I can change those options very easily)

That's great, cheers; makes things lots easier on mobile.

Barry Admin

Quote from: thr0b on November 26, 2021, 04:23:35 PMThat's great, cheers; makes things lots easier on mobile.

Yeah it does!

I'll swap the menus over now so the link is at the top.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 26, 2021, 03:39:19 PMIs 100x100 the magic size to avoid the avatar frames?

I think it's larger than that - mine works but can't check dimensions on my phone. I seem to remember 164 x 164? But that might be complete shit.

Twit 2

Isn't the correct phrasing:

Quick, before the momentum!

Barry Admin

Thanks, I couldn't remember and haven't got round to looking.

Barry Admin

The dimensions seem to be 471 X 640 - as mentioned, it needs to be a perfect square.  I might try a zoom in thing that was suggested though.

Barry Admin

Quote from: olliebean on November 26, 2021, 02:54:18 PMLarger New buttons:

.new_posts {
  font-size: 15px !important;
  padding: 2px 4px !important;
}

Fiddle with font size and padding to taste. I just wanted them slightly bigger as the default size is a bit fiddly to click on. Not sure if Stylus or anything similar is available for phone browsers, but this works on the desktop.

(They're not icons btw, in this new theme they're text.)

Struggling to get these looking decent on desktop and mobile.  This is what I'm using now, if you or anyone else has further suggestions:

.new_posts {
    display: inline-block;
    position: relative;
    top: -2px;
padding: 2px 2px;
margin: 3px;
    background: linear-gradient(#f97b00, #884d00);
    color: #fff;
    font: 9px/15px verdana, sans-serif;
    border-radius: 2px;
    opacity: 0.8;
}

Uncle TechTip

New button a lot easier to hit, thanks.

Barry Admin

Yay! If it's functional, that's the main thing. I'll maybe try a little bit more padding.

mjwilson

Ooh is that a new favicon I can see too? (Or has it been there ages and I didn't notice it?)

Barry Admin

Quote from: mjwilson on November 26, 2021, 08:06:52 PMOoh is that a new favicon I can see too? (Or has it been there ages and I didn't notice it?)

It's a new one by @QDRPHNC  who also kindly made the banging new banner.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on November 25, 2021, 01:18:22 PMIf mine could just go to "Ferris" I'd be very grateful. I've never liked my longer username which was a bad pun on a film I don't like that only made sense if you were looking at fairground equipment at the time.

@Barry Admin forgot to say thanks for doing this! Much nicer.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Ferris on November 26, 2021, 08:45:08 PM@Barry Admin forgot to say thanks for doing this! Much nicer.

No probs mate :-)

Jackson K Pollock

Very grateful for all the hard work you've put into this, B.A., and I like the look of the new theme.

My only niggle (and it may just be me) is that embedded YouTube videos seem to be a bit too trigger-happy to play, when I'm scrolling down a thread on my phone, leading to a few awkward situations in the dentists waiting room/on the bus/in bed, etc.

Not sure how that can be avoided, but it's definitely something that has caught me out more than once.

The Guppy

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 27, 2021, 12:08:45 AMMy only niggle (and it may just be me) is that embedded YouTube videos seem to be a bit too trigger-happy to play, when I'm scrolling down a thread on my phone, leading to a few awkward situations in the dentists waiting room/on the bus/in bed, etc.
Are you using an iPhone? YouTube embeds became annoying a few months ago, on every site that uses them. I don't think there's a way to fix it, but you'll learn to avoid them while scrolling.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: The Guppy on November 27, 2021, 12:19:20 AMAre you using an iPhone? YouTube embeds became annoying a few months ago, on every site that uses them. I don't think there's a way to fix it, but you'll learn to avoid them while scrolling.

Ah yes, I am, and now you mention it I have experienced the problem on another forum.

Will just have to remember to mute and turn the volume completely down on my phone before reading certain threads.

The Guppy

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 27, 2021, 12:26:19 AMWill just have to remember to mute and turn the volume completely down on my phone before reading certain threads.
I just remembered I was waiting for a Safari extension to come out of beta. It did!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/touchtube/id1590705822

It free and after testing it for 6 seconds, it seems to work. You have to install it and then turn it on in Settings and then turn it on in Safari through the aA button, and then give permissions for it to access that website, and then hope it's not dodgy shit that steals your identity, but it works.

Dex Sawash

Really miss the custom titties pinned thread

olliebean

I'd like to place a request for embedded videos to be turned off, or at least have an option (if it's possible) to have them displayed as links or thumbnails. The trouble is that when a page contains a lot of embedded videos (this one, for example, currently contains 40, including quoted ones), it takes a really long time to load. I've seen this on other forums as well. Youtube's code for an embedded video doesn't seem to be especially efficient at displaying the video in the first place.

shiftwork2

Anyone finding they don't have any options regarding length of time to stay logged in?  This is on a phone in both portrait and landscape.  Oddly it does appear on my boomer pad.

Midas

Quote from: olliebean on November 29, 2021, 10:27:36 AMI'd like to place a request for embedded videos to be turned off, or at least have an option (if it's possible) to have them displayed as links or thumbnails. The trouble is that when a page contains a lot of embedded videos (this one, for example, currently contains 40, including quoted ones), it takes a really long time to load. I've seen this on other forums as well. Youtube's code for an embedded video doesn't seem to be especially efficient at displaying the video in the first place.

Aye, I was thinking this too.

Barry Admin

Just tried that page on my phone and it works great tbh, only loads the vids as I scroll to them. I'll see if there are any options.

Never had that issue @shiftwork2 so not sure what's up. Again, fine on my phone.

I'm having to get a lot of IRL stuff done, bit I'll see if @Zetetic is a bit less busy. Once we update PHP and sort out a recurring permissions issue, I can do another update, and we'll see where we are then. That'll give me a better idea of how easy it is to re-implement all the style changes and lo title custom bits and pieces. (Traditionally I had to remove all that shit by hand, then add it all in again, but I think it's got better now.)

olliebean

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 29, 2021, 04:54:29 PMJust tried that page on my phone and it works great tbh, only loads the vids as I scroll to them. I'll see if there are any options.

YouTube embeds seem to work better on Chrome, presumably because Google tends to deprecate the performance of their services on non-Chrome-based browsers. Takes ages on Firefox on my PC.