Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalknerHinton

Quote from: This Week's Popbitch
>> May-day <<
"Such an amazing thing"

Reminding us once again why John Deacon is the only surviving member of Queen worth listening to, Brian May marked the 30th anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death by talking about how if Queen was formed today they'd be forced to have a more diverse line-up (somewhat glossing over the fact their original frontman was a flamboyant bisexual born to Parsi-Indian parents in Zanzibar).

It might seem bizarre, but it's worth remembering that Brian May's understanding of what made Queen interesting has always been very different to the rest of the world's.

When Sacha Baron Cohen pulled out of the Bohemian Rhapsody biopic, he recalled one of the incidents that made him feel uneasy with the way the production was headed. He said Roger Taylor and Brian May sat him down to talk him through the film, telling him, "This is such a great movie because it's got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle." Cohen asked them what happened in the middle, and one of them replied "Freddie dies."

Our money was always on it being Roger Taylor who told Sacha that. Now we're not so sure...

JamesTC

DJ Bob Hoskins

Now that more musicians are speaking up, I'm sure Linehan will do the right thing and publicly call out Neil Hannon for remaining even quieter than Billy Bragg when it comes to defending women.

DrGreggles

idunnosomename

well i wouldnt have thought he was quite such a cunt. but he seems to have made these remarks to an journalist from The Mirror at the Brit Awards. to sideline LGBTQ rights on the 30th anniversary of Freddie's death, on the fact that "nobody cared" about his sexual preference or ethnicity is just incredibly cunty. On so many levels

phes

Brian I think that being a grown up and like being really rational and chill and not making a big deal of problems that really don't even exist, in my own way I helped keep deaths from HIV to 36 million May

idunnosomename

Brian May on the next Mess? ah, he's probably doing his Christmas shopping *sticks face onto fist*

Mister Six

I interviewed Brian May for a magazine about 12 years ago, and I can assure you he was extremely boring even then. So boring, in fact, that I've only just now remembered it happened.

Mr Trumpet

I think May is just old and out of touch rather than actively a bastard. That's not based on much, I don't know the man. A friend of mine sat behind him in the theatre once and swore that he's completely bald at the crown of his head, a fact he conceals carefully with his Charles II mane.

Cold Meat Platter

Maybe some wanker's been frightening him with tales about how he's going to be cancelled if he doesn't go 'woke'. I've heard it happens.

wrec

I can't even muster much emotion about the May thing, it's just so dreary and tiresome how elderly celebs get poked by a journalist and dutifully trot out the "couldn't do it nowadays what with the cancel culture" line. Pleased that my favourite millionaire old duffer Neil Young is pro LGBT+.

Kankurette

Cold Meat Platter

Oh fucking christ I just remembered about May's 90s solo stuff and that fucking car advert. Fuck off and look at some stars you fanny.

JamesTC

DreadedScotsman

Yeah of all the celebs that have made it apparent that they're a bit cunty when it comes to issues like this, none have been a surprise. It's the Simpsons Old Man Shouts at Cloud thing over and over again. Most of the time I genuinely couldn't care less about their opinion on this stuff, whether it's positive or negative, I'd prefer if interviewers would just stop asking but I suppose that doesn't get clicks/ad revenue.

Juan K Perros

Brian May's just trying to deflect from the fact he married himself, which is way more freaky than anything else up for discussion

daf

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 27, 2021, 12:18:06 AMFuck off and look at some stars you fanny.

He's more likely to be looking at some fannys! He's got the world's largest collection of stereo photos, a lot of which will be antique French nookie (he's listed in the thanks at the end of this book)

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/330101-stereo-photography-an-interview-with-brian-may

jobotic

May's got a point though. I'm struggling to think of any bands that are all white cis men.

phantom_power

I don't really see the point he is making anyway. He says that no-one cared about Freddie's origins then (which I would say citation needed) but surely having mixed categories now means that people don't care now either.

I am sure feminists have been saying for years about how having different categories for women was sexist but now the change is being made, albeit for a number of reasons, and now they are having a shit fit about it

kalowski

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on November 25, 2021, 09:23:10 PMI have no idea how it feels to be trans because I don't have a frame of reference. I've tried to think of a suitable analogy but if I'm way off please tell me, I liken to trying to describe blue to a person who has been blind from birth, it's impossible since they don't have a frame of reference but that doesn't mean blue doesn't exist. The terfs are angrily shouting that blue isnt real and harassing anyone who says otherwise.
Sums up my position perfectly. Whilst my personal answer to such a situation is "I can't imagine what gender dysphoria must be like but clearly anyone experiencing it needs my support and solidarity" the TERF response is, "I can't imagine what gender dysphoria must be like but clearly anyone experiencing it must be clamouring for attention, perverted or simply making it up."

pigamus

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on November 26, 2021, 11:28:23 PMI think May is just old and out of touch rather than actively a bastard. That's not based on much, I don't know the man. A friend of mine sat behind him in the theatre once and swore that he's completely bald at the crown of his head, a fact he conceals carefully with his Charles II mane.

I read an interview with Gilbert O'Sullivan once and apparently he was putting boot polish on his bald spot.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 26, 2021, 11:36:11 PMMaybe some wanker's been frightening him with tales about how he's going to be cancelled if he doesn't go 'woke'. I've heard it happens.

So you're saying he would be... under pressure?

Mr Trumpet

I suppose I just think someone like May is probably redeemable, he seems fairly sound in other respects even if he is a boring old git. Adam Lambert needs to have a quiet word maybe.

The Bumlord

He's allowed one stupid statement for free after the trauma of somehow shredding his arse with a lawnmower.

It's all going off in the comments on latest Glinner's Twitter - apparently Arty has pissed off the rad fems again

https://twitter.com/artymortyarty/status/1464519249930686469?t=NZ4PUznrzIXSuYWe4Fubiw&s=19

FalknerHinton

edit: beaten to it, probably for the best as imgbb mangled the screenshots.

There's this tweet, and it's replies, too

https://twitter.com/artymortyarty/status/1464519249930686469?s=21

Barry Admin

Ha, brilliant. When that Karen Actually thing kicked off I saw one of the transphobes claiming that Linehan was having to be very careful these days, as he lost a shit ton of subscribers the last time he attacked a woman on his blog.

Right enough, I don't think he's gone after Helen Lewis or whoever of late, has he?

So yeah, good stuff this.

JamesTC