Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie stars that never were

Started by dead-ced-dead, November 26, 2021, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Yeah, women who speak out in the slightest are "difficult" and yet Jared Leto and Christian Bale etc get to carry on as they please because they are artists

Custard

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 26, 2021, 12:30:03 PMSam Worthington was handed a golden ticket with a starring role in Avatar, but was seen in very little else in the decade that followed. At least nothing anywhere near that scale. His generation's Michael Biehn?

Good nomination. Though what with there being 17 Avatar sequels coming over the next two decades, I guess he'll get another shot

Custard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 26, 2021, 09:16:48 PMThora Birch's career going down the toilet was rather sad. I know she was never going to compete with her Ghost World (2001) co-star in the glamour stakes but Birch deserved so much more after her nuanced portrayal of Enid from said movie. I was so pleased to see her turn up in The Walking Dead recently(ish).

Apparently that was due to her pushy dad, who everyone in Hollywood hated with a passion. He absolutely sunk her career

EDIT - As icehaven has already said. Sorry, commenting as I'm reading!

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Custard on November 28, 2021, 12:31:31 PMGood nomination. Though what with there being 17 Avatar sequels coming over the next two decades, I guess he'll get another shot

Tom Hardy could have been a good example had he not got a second shot. He was a hotly tipped new star in the early 2000s but the drugs and fighting ruined that and he was sent packing back to England with his tail between his legs.

Jump to 2008 and Bronson becomes an unexpected international festival hit and he's given a second shot at Hollywood that he doesn't fuck up.

This almost never happens - usually Hollywood gives you one shot and you're done - so he must be thanking every day.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 28, 2021, 12:44:40 PMThis almost never happens - usually Hollywood gives you one shot and you're done - so he must be thanking every day.
Robert Downey Jr being another example, perhaps even more so, given he spent time locked up due to his drug issues. 

Brundle-Fly

Wynona Ryder was also given a second reprieve. TV is good like that.

Also,  how long has the actor, Brian Cox waited to finally become a proper household name?

checkoutgirl

Taylor Lautner had those Twilight films to launch his career but hasn't done any telly or films since 2016. They were shite but they made billions so a great way to get an A list career going.

Maybe he's just a terrible actor or maybe he just retired in his twenties, safe in the knowledge his bank account has an 8 figure number in it.

Loads of actors have enough money to retire but carry on into their eighties and beyond. But some just think fuck this for a game of soldiers. People like Rick Moranis or Mike Myers probably could still get a few decent gigs but can't be arsed.

You have to admire the Last of the Summer Wine cast. How are they able to still get out of bed and get to set at their age? I'm in my forties and can barely be arsed. Michael Caine's bones are half dust and he's only retiring now after 50 years of making films. Mad.

George White

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 28, 2021, 01:26:28 PMWynona Ryder was also given a second reprieve. TV is good like that.

Also,  how long has the actor, Brian Cox waited to finally become a proper household name?
About 50 years.
He was the lead in the Year of the Sex Olympics in 1968. He had a few lead roles in UK TV in the 70s, the Master of Ballentrae and The Devil's Crown, which was the initial attempt by the BBC to do another I, Claudius that ended up being a CSO campfest.
Even Manhunter, he went back to the UK and did a lot of UK TV, some lead roles in presitge serials but also jobbing parts in Sean's Show and Perfect Scoundrels with Peter Bowles, and was also Andrew Neil in a US TVM (where they make no effort to make him look like Brillo). I havea theory that it's not coincidence Cox's rise coincides with Connery's later years.
Though he was given an Empire Icon in 2006. Which you'd think would have cemented it.

ElTwopo

Quote from: mothman on November 27, 2021, 06:08:29 PMAt one point - it was certainly true in the nineties - there was always that one actress who was absolutely, definitely going to be the next big thing, take her place in those lofty heights with Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan etc.

Julia Ormond. Then Claire Forlani. Then Gretchen Mol. Then Miranda Otto. Alicia Silverstone was in there somewhere. Liv Tyler too. And Linda Fiorentino.

Also Rebecca De Mornay and Bridget Fonda were pretty big in the early/mid nineties. Maybe I've not been paying attention, but I can't remember seeing them in the last 20 years or so.

George White

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: George White on November 28, 2021, 10:25:02 PMFonda retired to raise family.
I'll take "things no male actor has done, ever" for 200, Alex

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 28, 2021, 01:26:28 PMAlso,  how long has the actor, Brian Cox waited to finally become a proper household name?

He surely does fine as a character actor, he's rarely been out of work in forty odd years and can clearly pick and choose his roles, in blockbusters, smaller indie films or TV. Most people of a certain age will recognise him from X-Men 2 if nothing else.

Not every actor necessarily wants or needs mega-stardom.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on November 28, 2021, 11:05:31 PMHe surely does fine as a character actor, he's rarely been out of work in forty odd years and can clearly pick and choose his roles, in blockbusters, smaller indie films or TV. Most people of a certain age will recognise him from X-Men 2 if nothing else.

I think for me, the first time I would have seen Cox would have been as Major Hogan in the first couple of Sharpe TV films, and he's been more-or-less someone I've been constantly aware of since. I'd say that's a pretty good run for any actor, and it does seem he's now enjoying some high-profile success with this 'Succession' TV show.

mothman

I seem to have been mostly oblivious to his career prior to Manhunter - and even after that I can't recall him in anything else until The Long Kiss Goodnight.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2021, 11:04:48 PMI'll take "things no male actor has done, ever" for 200, Alex

Rick Moranis did, though admittedly his wife dying had a part to play in that choice. So it's not really the same thing at all. Carry on.

Although I was never a big fan, I used to assume that Julia Stiles would go on to do more serious awardsy drama stuff, after graduating from High School fare. I also thought Matthew Lillard was surely the next Jim Carrey.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: ElTwopo on November 28, 2021, 09:51:43 PMAlso Rebecca De Mornay and Bridget Fonda were pretty big in the early/mid nineties. Maybe I've not been paying attention, but I can't remember seeing them in the last 20 years or so.

DeMorney's done a few films, but no major roles. A fair amount of TV, most prominently Marvel's Jessica Jones, where she plays the main character's ex-child star foster sister's pushy mum. It's a bigger role than it sounds.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 29, 2021, 01:12:45 AMAlthough I was never a big fan, I used to assume that Julia Stiles would go on to do more serious awardsy drama stuff, after graduating from High School fare. I also thought Matthew Lillard was surely the next Jim Carrey.

I go back and watch 10 Things I Hate About You fairly regularly and it's a shame that her career stalled after the Bourne movies, because she's really terrific in that movie, and has a fun, playful chemistry with Heath Ledger.

Cerys

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2021, 11:04:48 PMI'll take "things no male actor has done, ever" for 200, Alex

Rick Moranis.

Edit - should have read a bit further before commenting.  As you were.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on November 29, 2021, 12:47:18 AMRick Moranis did, though admittedly his wife dying had a part to play in that choice. So it's not really the same thing at all. Carry on.

Eh, I think Moranis deserves kudos for doing so, many others would have just hired nanny's or remarried and carried on as before.

Cary Grant also supposedly retired to bring up a child, but he was 62 at the time, and increasingly disillusioned with Hollywood. I'm sure that there's a couple of others too, but Famous Mortimer's point largely stands and it's hard to think of any.

mothman

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/29/i-owe-an-enormous-debt-to-therapy-rita-moreno-on-west-side-story-dating-brando-and-joy-at-90

A great article. Rita Moreno IS undoubtedly a movie star - but as the article explains, also not - not like the "actual" movie stars of the time.

George White

Oh, someone's already said Moranis.

George White

Quote from: mothman on November 29, 2021, 10:22:16 AMhttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/29/i-owe-an-enormous-debt-to-therapy-rita-moreno-on-west-side-story-dating-brando-and-joy-at-90

A great article. Rita Moreno IS undoubtedly a movie star - but as the article explains, also not - not like the "actual" movie stars of the time.
Yes, she was also sorta the US Floella Benjamin, thanks to the Electric Company.

dead-ced-dead

I'm going to start fining people £5 if they mention Rick Moranis.

George White

Reminded by Kevin McNally's appearance in Doctor Who that he once had the lead in  a Cannon film - Liliana Cavani's Berlin Affair.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on November 28, 2021, 11:05:31 PMHe surely does fine as a character actor, he's rarely been out of work in forty odd years and can clearly pick and choose his roles, in blockbusters, smaller indie films or TV. Most people of a certain age will recognise him from X-Men 2 if nothing else.

Oh, I know that. Success(ion) isn't about fame but I bet he is glad to be universally acknowleged now. Cox has had a fantastic career but for some reason never seemed to be mentioned in the same breath as Caine, Hopkins, Gambon, Dench, Mirren, McKellen, Irons etc.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 28, 2021, 01:26:28 PMWynona Ryder was also given a second reprieve. TV is good like that.

'reprieve' not 'second reprieve' unless she was arrested for jay walking between Stranger Things S2 and Stranger Things S3.

lipsink

What about Christina Ricci? She had a great run as a child star: The Addams Family, Mermaids, Addams Family Values, Casper. Then went into indie movies like The Ice Storm, The Opposite of Sex, Buffalo 66. Then Sleepy Hollow, Monster and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Seemed like her career was really building momentum and then just...nothing. I'd imagine she's probably been accused of being "difficult" too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lipsink on November 29, 2021, 01:34:45 PMWhat about Christina Ricci? She had a great run as a child star: The Addams Family, Mermaids, Addams Family Values, Casper. Then went into indie movies like The Ice Storm, The Opposite of Sex, Buffalo 66. Then Sleepy Hollow, Monster and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Seemed like her career was really building momentum and then just...nothing. I'd imagine she's probably been accused of being "difficult" too.

She's had two children and is an activist, some money in the bank so maybe took her foot off the pedal for awhile. We have to remember these people do have lives outside their careers. She's doing the new Matrix movie according to her IMDB page.