Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy folks in music videos.

Started by Glebe, November 19, 2021, 08:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Does Courtney Cox in Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark count?

Or Norm from Cheers in that Jacko song.

Catalogue Trousers

To bring this back to the start point again (and some points between), no specific mention of Kate Bush's Experiment IV?

With cameos, among others, from both Hugh Laurie and Dawn French.

Mark X

Quote from: Povidone on November 19, 2021, 04:02:38 PM

Lauren Lapkus in They Might Be Giant's 'You're on Fire' video was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

TMBG also had videos starring Nick Offerman, Rip Torn and The Cast of Malcolm in the Middle (okay, bit of a cheat that last one).

Lucas and Walliams are popping up a lot in this thread, so here they are again, in Pet Shop Boys' I'm With Stupid.

Adam and Joe took their toy movie parodies and took on the pop promo scene with their vid for Gorky's Sweet Johnny, while Ade Edmondson popped up in the promo for Fuzzbox's International Rescue.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 19, 2021, 09:38:01 AMThere's a few here

Makes one realise how much one repeats themselves. And CaB threads too. We haven't had a 'music that unsettles you' thread for at least a year. Come on, Cabbers, sort it out!

If Comedy Chat can revisit 'Comedy you don't get/ think is shit' every six weeks, I'm sure Oscillations can manage something similarly traditional?

*winking emoji

Glebe

Quote from: Ornlu on November 19, 2021, 03:13:26 PMSo I'd heard, but an earlier glance at Wikipedia says apparently not ('Some fans claim that Mike Patton is the singer just leaving the stage as the video is beginning'), and looking at him closely, I really don't think it is.

Fair enough!

Quote from: RHX on November 19, 2021, 10:05:03 PMHe did indeed!

Never saw that before, fan-tastic!

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 19, 2021, 10:09:29 PMI know some forums where too many embedded videos destroy page load times and render everything unusable. I figured this was an unofficial stress test.

Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders were obviously in various Comic Relief things

Yeah the Bananrama cover of 'Help' is the one that sprang to my mind.

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 19, 2021, 10:31:36 PMBenny Hill in Genesis' 'Anything She Does'.  Not a single but was played on screen before they went onstage:

Just watched that t'other day checking out the thread Norton linked too, never heard of it before let alone seen it... feel like I've entered an alternative dimension! Hill and Phil, my goodness! Song is like a poor man's 'Invisible Touch'.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 20, 2021, 08:42:54 PMMakes one realise how much one repeats themselves. And CaB threads too. We haven't had a 'music that unsettles you' thread for at least a year. Come on, Cabbers, sort it out!

If Comedy Chat can revisit 'Comedy you don't get/ think is shit' every six weeks, I'm sure Oscillations can manage something similarly traditional?

*winking emoji

Do you think there's any mileage in a "Favourite albums covered in their enritey by another artist" thread? Might be one of the few we haven't already done.

Have we had "Songs recorded in multiple languages" yet?

sprocket

Quote from: Pranet on November 19, 2021, 07:33:31 PMThey have both been mentioned but I don't think together- Matt Lucas in Jesusland by Ben Folds.

Another mention for Ben Folds, Do It Anyway has Rob Corddry and WOOF! WOOF, WOOF, WOOF! WOOF!

Sorry, don't know what came over me, Rob Corddry and The Fraggles.

thenoise

Kim Noble in the video for Malcolm 'Arab Strap' Middleton's 'We're all going to die'

Glebe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 19, 2021, 10:09:43 AMNow that you've mentioned it, I'm pretty sure I saw a video for that when I was a kid, I have a vague memory of Neil walking down a high street and stepping in a puddle.

I thought I'd seen a video for it myself as a young 'un (or Young One!) though mebbe not.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Glebe on November 21, 2021, 03:02:48 PMI thought I'd seen a video for it myself as a young 'un (or Young One!) though mebbe not.

It may have been a tv advert for the song or something, I don't recall seeing the whole thing, just a little snippet that made me aware such a thing existed. Odd that we'd both remember it when there's no trace of it online.

When the Ali-G character became over-exposed, he was in that Madonna video.

Glebe

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 19, 2021, 10:31:36 PMBenny Hill in Genesis' 'Anything She Does'.  Not a single but was played on screen before they went onstage:

That would explain why the amazed likes of myself have never seen it before!

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 20, 2021, 04:11:21 PMDoes Courtney Cox in Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark count?

Yeah go on then.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 21, 2021, 03:27:00 PMIt may have been a tv advert for the song or something, I don't recall seeing the whole thing, just a little snippet that made me aware such a thing existed. Odd that we'd both remember it when there's no trace of it online.

The 'Hole in My Shoe' video mystery continues!

Calistan

Buxton and Cornish made this, definitely one of my favourite music videos:

Sean Ymphs

After Robert Smith made appearances in their shows, Rob Newman and Sean Hughes have cameos in the video for the 13th by the Cure

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 19, 2021, 09:42:23 AMThe Wildhearts - Just In Lust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-sxSffGQ1I

Ginger was a big Absolutely fan so he got the guys who did the animations (Triffic?) to do the video, with John Sparkes making an appearance too.

Thanks for this. Going right on the Absolutely twitter!

dothestrand

John Goodman in Talking Heads' 'Wild Wild Life' - though he was in the David Byrne film 'True Stories'. Nice Billy Idol and Prince pisstakes too.

Glebe

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 21, 2021, 03:36:33 PMWhen the Ali-G character became over-exposed, he was in that Madonna video.

That was his 'now I'm truly famous' moment. But over-exposed his right, Richard Madeley and even the Grumbleweeds doing him.

Quote from: dothestrand on November 22, 2021, 10:38:34 PMJohn Goodman in Talking Heads' 'Wild Wild Life' - though he was in the David Byrne film 'True Stories'. Nice Billy Idol and Prince pisstakes too.

One of my fave feel good songs/videos, though mebbe that Prince (and Kid Creole, is it?) impression is a little problematic... the kung fu guy certainly is!

FiremanJim

Pretty sure Matt Berry was in the video for Medicine by Matt Berry

jobotic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 21, 2021, 11:29:51 AMDo you think there's any mileage in a "Favourite albums covered in their enritey by another artist" thread? Might be one of the few we haven't already done.

Think we have but I'll post the same two examples if we do it again!

Virgo76

I'm not sure if he is in any but Richard Ayoade has directed a dozen music videos for Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Radiohead and others, all since he became famous about 15 years ago.

Campbell Soupe

Man About The House and Blackburn cuckolder, Richard O'Sullivan cameos as Sarah Cracknell's father-of-the-bride in Saint Etienne's I Was Born on Christmas Day...

Glebe

Not a comedian and yet I feel strangely compelled to mention Gareth 'Roj Blake' Thomas as a partying judge in Belle and Sebastian's 'Legal Man' video.

colacentral

Bob Odenkirk directed and starred in this Rogue Wave video:

There's an alternate version of the video where it's just the band playing in front of a boring white background. Guess which one was the "officially" released version.

Speaking of that, Eric Wareheim directed a music video for Major Lazer. He doesn't appear in it, but it's another situation where a second, more boring video was shot because the band or the label didn't like the first one.

Eric Wareheim version:

Reshot version:

David Cross and Janeane Garofolo in the video for "Watery Hands" by Superchunk:

Glebe

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 19, 2021, 11:56:06 AMI cannot fucking stand Mumford & Sons, but this video starring Jason Bateman, Ed Helms, Jason Sudeikis and Will Forte is actually pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rId6PKlDXeU

Have to admit I mistook Will Forte for Andrew Garfield there.

Quote from: chveik on November 19, 2021, 03:05:31 PM

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on November 19, 2021, 11:01:17 PManother NP video with comedians in it:)

I've never actually listened to TNP before but they may have a new convert!

Quote from: Povidone on November 19, 2021, 04:02:38 PM

Lauren Lapkus in They Might Be Giant's 'You're on Fire' video was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

That's great. Not familiar with recent-years TMBG. Sounds a bit like their mates Pixies.

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 19, 2021, 04:24:26 PMCharlotte Hatherley - Bastardo
https://youtu.be/k28EvIFcdug

Also quite Pixies-ish. Blimey half of the '00s British comedy world is in there.

Neomod

Patton Oswald and that Big Bang guy in The Bird and The Bee's Will You Dance

turnstyle

Another Matt Lucas appearance, in The Bluetones' Mudslide video.

He was also in a skit on a Bluetones b-side called Armageddon.

Tokyo van Ramming

Comedy Comet James Corden in this one, desperately pleading for the camera's love:

Cuellar

Nick Offerman is also in a Decemberists video

h4huggy

Wonderful Rik Mayall performance on The Company She Keeps single What A Girl Wants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbyKo9HOyw4