Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie stars that never were

Started by dead-ced-dead, November 26, 2021, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Deacon seems to have had a few problems, some of them related to known bad dude Noel Clarke:

"In July 2015, he was found guilty of harassment without violence at West London Magistrates' Court, having had a highly publicised feud with Noel Clarke with accusations of Clarke bullying him and sabotaging Deacon's career, which Clarke stated was not true. On 20 July, Deacon was found guilty.[8] The court, which heard that Deacon had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had been self-medicating using skunk cannabis, banned Deacon from contacting Clarke again.[9]

On 7 April 2016, he was arrested after police were called to reports of a man reportedly armed with a machete style knife and threatening members of the public in London.[10] He was unable to attend a hearing in March due to being "in hospital for treatment for underlying mental health issues". On 7 April, a jury delivered two not-guilty verdicts for affray and possessing an offensive weapon accepting Deacon was mentally ill and not criminally responsible for his actions"

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 02, 2021, 09:21:20 AMBut then, Adam Deacon? He was in Kidulthood and sequels, but now seems trapped in low-budget British movies like The Bromley Boys and The Intent 2: The Come Up and a 2021 appearance on Doctors. Will Poulter progressed from Narnia to stuff like Maze Runner and a small role in Midsommar, but definitely isn't Tom Hardy or even Daniel Poulter. Jack O'Connell from Skins and This Is England likewise.

Adam Deacon seems to have had some severe mental health and drug issues, combined with allegations that Noel Clarke was harassing him, so he's struggled quite a bit.

Will Poulter's been cast in a major role in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.

Jack O'Connell has only made minor films since his breakthrough in... Unbroken, and seems to be moving back to being an ensemble player in television.

George White

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on December 02, 2021, 09:07:50 AMSpeaking of Homeland (which apparently was still going up till last year! Who knew?), Murray's co-star on that Mandy Patinkin never really ascended to huge stardom following his breakout role in The Princess Bride, but again I think he might be another actor who does their best work on stage. He's certainly not done a huge deal of note outside of Homeland film or TV wise.

Speaking of The Princess Bride, Cary Elwes is an actor who seemed primed for hugeness but then it didn't really happen. He's worked steadily but mainly guest spots and supporting roles.
Elwes has said that he never wanted stardom. He just wanted to be a hardworking, jobbing character actor who'd do lots of episodic TV, but that it turned out he was handsome and charismatic enough to be a leading man, so he rode that wave for as long as it could carry.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on December 02, 2021, 09:07:50 AMSpeaking of Homeland (which apparently was still going up till last year! Who knew?), Murray's co-star on that Mandy Patinkin never really ascended to huge stardom following his breakout role in The Princess Bride, but again I think he might be another actor who does their best work on stage. He's certainly not done a huge deal of note outside of Homeland film or TV wise.

Speaking of The Princess Bride, Cary Elwes is an actor who seemed primed for hugeness but then it didn't really happen. He's worked steadily but mainly guest spots and supporting roles.

Elwes is an odd case, because despite how handsome and Errol Flynn-like he is, the style of acting he prefers isn't very leading man friendly. He seems to find it far more enjoyable to be a weird character player.

Similar to Juno Temple in that way, he's just too talented and funny and goofy to be trapped in leading parts.

George White

Quote from: Keebleman on December 02, 2021, 01:02:32 AMBekim Fehmiu of The Adventurers, Toralv Maurstad of Song of Norway, both of them foreigners in Hollywood flops.  No second chance permitted.

Going even further back, there was the 'Man of Mystery' (that was how he was billed on the posters), Turhan Bey.  But whether Universal genuinely regarded him as star material even of the Lugosi and Chaney Jr level is open to question.
Bey was a star of 'exotica pictures', but like Sabu, he was forced to play second fiddle to Jon Hall and Universal's big star of the era, the now almost-forgotten Maria Montez.
He quit Hollywood in the 50s, moved back to Austria and then returned to Hollywood in the 90s, popping up in Babylon 5.

Fehmiu did mainly work in Italy. Even the Adventurers was a Cinecitta production. His one other Hollywood-adjacent production was a Dino De Laurentiis-produced, Burt Kennedy directed spaghetti western, the Deserter costarring John Huston, Richard Crenna, Ricardo Montalban, Ian Bannen, Slim Pickens, Woody Strode, Pat Wayne...

RE:actors who were leads in big 70s massive Hollywood productions and then never touched Hollywood again, Nicholas and Alexandra. Meant to launch Janet Suzman, Michael Jayston and Tom Baker.
Suzman got an Oscar nom, Baker two Golden Glove noms, and Jayston and Baker longlisted for consideration in the Academy Awards, but while Suzman had a big stage career, and Tom did a few horrors, then went to the building site before the TARDIS came calling, Jayston did a few major support gigs in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but focused mainly on telly and stage, ultimately perhaps becoming more remembered (Valeyard aside) as Del Boy's father in law.

Bad Ambassador

Jayston's also played James Bond in a 1990 BBC Radio version of You Only Live Twice.

George White

Yes, thus being the only person so far to have played Doctor and Bond.

RE:actors from Nicholas and Alexandra, Martin Potter.
Starts his career in The Year of the Sex Olympics, then gets the lead in Fellini's Satyricon when Terence Stamp was unavailable, plays Rasputin's assassin in Nicholas and Alexandra, leads Goodbye Gemini and a few other undistinguished films, but by 76 is reduced to doing Satan's Slave and eventually slips back into jobbing telly mode, his one lead in telly being the Sunday classic Robin Hood.

mothman

Article about Adam Deacon. I thought I'd read it recently; maybe I did, but it's from 2017:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/19/adam-deacon-kidulthood-bafta-noel-clarke-psychosis-the-retreat

How about Jon Finch? Early success, but never successfully capitalised on it; made a few bad choices - turned down Bond, and The Three Musketeers. And had bad luck too - injured on first day of filming Alien, replaced by John Hurt.

George White

Also turned down the Professionals at a late stage, feeling he couldn't play an ex-cop, so his Banquo, Martin Shaw replaced him

elliszeroed

For a period, Freddie Prinze Jnr was a writer for WWE:

Digital Spy Article

QuoteThe actor worked at WWE from 2008 to 2009 as a member of the creative team before becoming a producer and director in 2010.

"There was this show called Tough Enough and they tried to bring it back. Stone Cold was the judge," Freddie told Chris Van Vliet on Insight with Chris Van Vliet.

"There was a mom that wanted to be a wrestler and she said she was doing it for her kids. Steve Austin said, 'That's bullshit.'

"He said, 'You know how many times I won Father of the Year?' He put a goose egg up.

"I was watching that show in the writer's room. I stood up and I walked to Gorilla. I gave Vince [McMahon] my two weeks and I said, 'I'm trying to win Father of the Year, man, I can't work here any more' and he said, 'What? Talk to me after the show.'"

Freddie went on to say that he ended up talking to Vince's daughter Stephanie McMahon afterwards who told him that he was about to be made Head Writer of WWE SmackDown.

"I was like, 'Look, you know I love you guys, but I'm a dad and I'm out,'" Freddie added. "That was that. I quit and I never looked back."

Eh.

"I'm trying to win father of the year."

...Why?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: elliszeroed on December 02, 2021, 09:34:09 PMFor a period, Freddie Prinze Jnr was a writer for WWE

He's just started a podcast called Wrestling with Freddie where he talks about his time there.

Are you really asking why someone who grew up without a father would want to be a good father to his kids?

George White

His dad was basically the American Richard Beckinsale, but with an even more tragic end.

David Duchovny left The X-Files to concentrate on launching a film career. He unsuccessfully auditioned to play Batman and the pictures he did front were cooly received. He'll never not be famous, as Mulder, but a movie star is something he never was.

Bad Ambassador

He was the runner-up to Edward Norton for The Incredible Hulk, even though he's about a decade older. He's worked consistantly in TV though, with a seven-season run in Californication, followed by Aquarius and the X-Files revival, and in the last six years has released three albums and four novels.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 03, 2021, 10:56:23 AMHe was the runner-up to Edward Norton for The Incredible Hulk, even though he's about a decade older. He's worked consistantly in TV though, with a seven-season run in Californication, followed by Aquarius and the X-Files revival, and in the last six years has released three albums and four novels.

Thank-you reminding me of Duchovny's dreadful musical career, and this astounding performance:

Christ's sake Dave, if you get near a note hit it!

greenman

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 03, 2021, 10:56:23 AMHe was the runner-up to Edward Norton for The Incredible Hulk, even though he's about a decade older. He's worked consistantly in TV though, with a seven-season run in Californication, followed by Aquarius and the X-Files revival, and in the last six years has released three albums and four novels.

You could argue Evolution was the peak of his non X-files stardom I spose although perhaps also shows the problem he had being typecast playing essentially a comic version of Mulder.

If anything I would perhaps say it was more surprising Gillian Anderson didnt become a bigger star outside the X-files at the time, she built up a career latter on of course but really she was just as well known on the show and played a character less typecasted.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 28, 2021, 12:44:40 PMThis almost never happens - usually Hollywood gives you one shot and you're done - so he must be thanking every day.

Also see Micky Rourke. Think he only managed 3 decent/ successful films during his comeback before slipping back in to utter dross.

Fairuza Balk was hotly tipped at one time, wasn't she?

Famous Mortimer

Terry Farrell
I know she did several seasons of successful TV, and she had a few starring roles in movies (Hellraiser 3, Legion), it never quite worked out for her. Nowadays, with a decent action "look" and comedy experience, she'd be a low-level Marvel person, set for life.

Darren Shahlavi
Did some stunts, and was often second or third billed in some decent martial arts movies, but didn't get the big role or franchise he deserved. Again, good look, decent actor, could fight on screen really well, died at 42 of atherosclerosis.

pigamus

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2021, 06:16:40 PMWho starred in as many movies as Claire Forlani, I'd wager.

Because I'm a big Press Gang fan, mention of Claire Forlani makes me think of Gabrielle Anwar, who did Scent of a Woman but was never huge after that

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 03, 2021, 07:45:33 PMAlso see Micky Rourke. Think he only managed 3 decent/ successful films during his comeback before slipping back in to utter dross.

Fairuza Balk was hotly tipped at one time, wasn't she?

Rourke sounds like he was a nightmare to work with once he got famous again, I think word must've got around as the big parts started drying up again fairly sharpish.

I do wonder if Balk fell foul of someone powerful in the industry or something. I remember hearing that she was cast as a regular recurring role as an FBI agent in The Sopranos when that was at it's peak, but for vague reasons the role was re-cast and they even reshot her scenes with the new actress, even though the episode featuring Balk had already been shown.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking of drugged off '80s comeback kids: Keifer Sutherland did a few films in the wake of 24, but seems to have mostly stuck to telly.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 04, 2021, 03:03:10 AMTerry Farrell
I know she did several seasons of successful TV, and she had a few starring roles in movies (Hellraiser 3, Legion), it never quite worked out for her.
I assume things worked out fine after Jane's Addiction got back together.

greenman

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on December 04, 2021, 11:41:24 AMRourke sounds like he was a nightmare to work with once he got famous again, I think word must've got around as the big parts started drying up again fairly sharpish.

I suspect also the Cage/Willis effect were he had enough bro cache to make easy money on multiple low budget action films per year playing heavy roles.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Donald Glover seemed set to be the next big thing a few years ago. He had bunch of acclaimed telly work under his belt, a zeitgeist capturing song and a plum role in the new Star Wars film. Then Solo underperformed and now he seems to have been eclipsed by his own Atlanta co-stars.

Despite Moonwalker existing, Michael Jackson was never the "movie star" he thought he should be. Apparently he fell out with Steven Spielberg because he wouldn't cast him as the lead in Hook.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 04, 2021, 03:03:10 AMTerry Farrell
I know she did several seasons of successful TV, and she had a few starring roles in movies (Hellraiser 3, Legion), it never quite worked out for her. Nowadays, with a decent action "look" and comedy experience, she'd be a low-level Marvel person, set for life.
Did OK with this though

Sorry.

George White

Two come to mind.

Armand Assante - got a few early prime roles, Paradise Alley, I the Jury, but very quickly became king of the miniseries. Although he had that Stallone/De Niro quality, he had an old-school quality (a doppelganger for Cornel Wilde) which suited him better in period roles, and therefore in TV stuff.

And his costar in Love and Money, Ray Sharkey. Similar looking (a kind of Spacey/Assante hybrid), Won the Golden Globe for The Idolmaker, then appeared in a few lead roles - Willie and Phil, but his volatile behaviour and heroin habit  almost instantly sent him into exploitation and TV spots. Then got AIDS and started sleeping around with women, giving them HIV without telling them he was positive. Dead at 40. 

Brundle-Fly

One of saddest 'never stood a chance' stories has to be Emily Lloyd, star of Wish You Were Here (1987) (and daughter of OFAH's Trigger). Recurring serious mental illness and a troubled history put paid to her career. So many missed opportunities. After reading the Later life section on her wiki page, I'm pleased to learn she finally turned things around.

In April 2013, Lloyd stated that she had been calm and stable for the past few years. She said she had no regrets regarding her life, though wished "that on a few occasions [she'd] been able to enjoy the experiences fully". In May 2013, Lloyd published an autobiography, Wish I Was There. Following the birth of her daughter in 2014, Lloyd stated she was happy and that her mental illness had "faded into the background". In 2016, she had a role in the film No Reasons

George White

The problem with Lloyd was that she was a character actress, a young character actress, and that she went to HOllywood way too early. She should have done stuff more like her father, perhaps even a sitcom. Didn't Spielberg warn her not to go Hollywood?