Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Expanse - Season 6 (trailer)

Started by Mobius, November 16, 2021, 11:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Starts on 10th December

TRAILER

I thought the last season was quite boring, really not arsed about Naomi and her boring family.

But it's a decent show and looks great. Hopefully there's some mad alien shit coming. The bit at the 2:22 looks intriguing!

Apparently this is the final season, and covers book 6 (of 9) so we'll see if they do a movie or if the whole thing will end in a quite unsatisfying way.

mothman

As I understand it there is a significant time leap after book 6 which would require much ageing prosthetics, for one.

I don't know how I feel about this show. It can be great. But it's also very maddening. Last season especially so. They just flipped this switch that said "all Belters are now irredeemable assholes." Even Drummer, despite all she went through and Ashford being killed, just went back to being a pirate for no reason. Just being on the internet is enough to get me my fix of crazed fanatics, I don't need to watch TV shows with them too, especially when played by third-rate Canadian actors whose sole qualifications for getting these roles appear to be their ability to do the Belter accent.

And I especially didn't care about Naomi and her ex and their son. Christ, the Inaroses, played by two especially useless actors with literally one facial expression each (Marco: bug-eyed twat; Philip, dull uncomprehending pout). I really hope Keon Alexander Googles his own name occasionally (seems the type), because YOU FUCKING SUCK AS AN ACTOR. Cunt.

And the filler! So, so much filler. Alex & Bobbie spent the whole season in the Razorback, like the orbital equivalent of walking across Westeros. Amos spent a whole ep getting out of that prison, about two walking to Baltimore, and then a third in that estate trying to get that spaceship to work.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah the Razorback stuff was bobbins, but I put that down to them having to rejig stuff because pilot-matey got MeTood.  Didn't mind the Amos-walking-about bits, because I was just happy for them to focus on his backstory for a bit.

Not surprised this will be the final season.  It's a great show but I think it's quite difficult to find the money for big budget sci-fi.  I did notice that the sets in the later seasons were basically 'earth but dressed up a bit differently'.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They had the budget. Jeff Bezos really wanted to get the show on Prime Video, as he is a huge fan of the novels. On location shooting tends to be actually more expensive, but it helps getting out of a claustrophobic mood. Still, it's puzzling that the sixth season will be over in six episodes.

The big issue for the show was that the last three novels take place approximately three decades later, which would have required a lot of makeup for not so convincing onscreen results.

Chollis

I was enjoying this show but last season has basically turned it into a hate-watch for me. It still looks pretty and I enjoy the space stuff but I can't stand most of the characters besides Amos, and deciding to centre most of last season around some of the most laughably inept actors I've seen in a production of this size (Naomi, Marco and their son) tipped it over the edge. Will watch it but I'm glad to hear it's the last season, because surely they have to focus on some cool alien/rings shit now.

mothman

You'd hope, but FX are expensive and Vancouver am dram performers who can pronounce Beltalowdah correctly are cheap.

druss

It's good that it's only 6 episodes, hopefully no filler. When it's great, it's really great.

Used to like Alex so my interest has diminished somewhat for this season, wish they'd replaced the actor to be honest rather than do a last minute Poochie.

Mostly watching for Amos and Bobbie now.

Spoon of Ploff

six episodes to cover the final four books, the last of which isn't published until the end of this month?

yeah. that'll work

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I miss the Space Noir goings on of the first series. It started to feel a lot more generic after that, with the the protomolecule going from a truly alien, inscrutable thing, to a bunch of hybrid monster kids for everyone to run around and shoot at.

I've not seen any of it since the portals all opened up (after that thrilling storyline in which everyone was stuck in the cosmic equivalent of a tailback). Is it worth catching up on, or should I not bother?

"Let's all go down the strand, Avasarala"

Mr Eggs

Was saving series 5 for a winebox bingewatch but, having read the books, could I just skip it and bang into this one? 5 sounds pure wank.

druss

I don't think it's ever been "pure wank". Even at its worst it is still a million times better than any Discovery episode. Always very watchable, occasionally spectacular (there were some great episodes in season 5).

Obel

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on November 19, 2021, 11:42:17 AMsix episodes to cover the final four books, the last of which isn't published until the end of this month?

yeah. that'll work

6 episodes to cover book 6.

I don't get the hate for season 5, I loved it. I think it coming out weekly instead of dropping all at once might have hurt it in peoples eyes though. Several episodes of Naomi being stuck on a ship is less appealing when you are waiting for her to move on by the next episode, I guess.

If I had to be critical it would be that I agree with the general sentiment that Keon Alexander is an absolutely abominable actor. One note, totally uncharismatic. It's not really possible to tell how this guy managed to win so many people over to his cause. Compared to someone like an Anderson Dawes for example, obviously it's unfair to compare this cretin to a true great like Jared Harris, but surely you could cast someone much better.

druss

Yeah him and his son can get to absolute fuck.

Sonny_Jim

Season 5 is definitely worth watching, they all are really.  None of it has been so terrible I've had to stop watching.  The Klav Kalash guy really pulled me out of that episode, massive mood whiplash.  But there's always something in an episode that's worth watching.

Having said that, my wife refuses to watch it as she feels physical pain whenever Avasarala talks.  I'm 50/50 on her.  Voice definitely works but there's this particular delivery of 'I'll do whatever the fuck I want!' in one episode that is strangely bizarre.  I'll have to clip it out sometime.

druss

Oh I like her too. Bobbie, Amos and Avasarala please.

mothman

My wife does a mean Shoreh Agdashloo imitation, has done ever since she appeared on 24. I've managed to conceal from her that she's in this, otherwise she'd insist on watching (despite not being into SF) to expand her repertoire of Agdashlingo.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: druss on November 19, 2021, 01:30:11 PMYeah him and his son can get to absolute fuck.

The acting of those two blokes was so bad that I spent the whole series under the impression they were a gay couple and only clocked right at the end that they were father and son.

Sonny_Jim

I got it wrong, it's not 'whatever the fuck I want', it's 'whatever I goddamn like' (skip to around the 50 second mark)

Maybe this is the clean version?  As I'm sure I've heard that line but with swearing.  In any case, it think it's fucking awful delivery, but I can see why people would like it.

druss

Fucking hell, remembered how shite Inaros and son are from the "previously on". The less of them, the better.

mothman

I almost can't bring myself to watch this because if the Inaroses (Inarossers?), they're so awful. I may just stockpile them all then binge in one go, that's usually how I end up watching this show.

Jack Shaftoe

I quite enjoy the terrible Inarossi, probably because with the dad at least you can see how after Trump any old weirdly camp overacting idiot can get a following if they shout the right catchphrases loudly enough. I'll enjoy watching something terrible happen to both of them.

Had no idea about the actor who played Alex being a horrible MeToo-ite. I did think his end came a bit suddenly and he'd weirdly underplayed it - makes sense now.

I also enjoyed S5 - in fact I thought it had finished there and only realised a month or so ago a whole new series was due very soon - result!

mothman

It's a shame because Alex Kamal was a really good character - he managed to make an impression even when he was stuck at the controls of the Roci most of the time. And Cas Anvar obviously really relished the role, especially as an alternative to playing terrorists (which featured heavily in his filmography) and he was a great ambassador for the show.

... and then he turns out to be a massive cunt. None of what I said in the first paragraph mitigates what he did.

It's an interesting case to examine. He is - or was, now! - quite a minor star, more of a cult following than anything. That may have allowed him the access to a small but dedicated fan base to exploit and abuse, but also denied him the star power that might have protected him from exposure?

druss

He was one of my favourite characters, I wish they'd got another actor rather than Poochie him.

surreal

Interesting that they didn't show who is flying the Roci now - I thought they would carry on with Bull from last season but not a mention despite having some mad flying skills on display in the first episode

Ant Farm Keyboard

The thing that got Cas Anvar popular at conventions and events wasn't The Expanse, it was his involvement with the Assassin's Creed series of video games, as he voiced an older Altaïr (the original assassin from the first game) in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which is mostly centered around Ezio.

And they stated that Naomi was now the pilot of the Roci. I haven't read the sixth book, so I have no idea if Peach was supposed to play some important part on the Roci. It would have felt weird anyway to have a recent character assuming Alex's duties, as it would be nearly impossible to maintain the dynamics within the crew with an outsider.

surreal

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 11, 2021, 03:12:04 PMAnd they stated that Naomi was now the pilot of the Roci.

Thanks, must have missed that.  I've just started book 9.  I hope they conclude the Marco business better than they did in the book as it felt slightly anti-climactic, but may look better on screen

Sebastian Cobb

Was quite tired when I watched the new episode, found it a bit dull with how much they focused on little inaros being a top shagger now.

Poobum

Amazing acting from the Philip lad, don't think he ever changed his facial expression. So annoying how boring the belters are, they should be great antagonists, their anger's so justified yet their actions so abominable. We're just stuck with glassy eyed man mannequin Marco and his confused dope son who's like a coma patient trying to piece back their memories during a long and disappointing recovery as they find out they were an insurance salesman who liked lifting, cheeky curries, and EDM. I don't give a shit what happens to either of them, Marco is so dull that there won't even be any catharsis from his death. Now it just feels like a plot thread to tie up before moving on to the far more intriguing Laconians.

Inspector Norse

Was thinking about getting stuck into this but yeah much less enthused now I read that Marco 'n Filip are still the main focus. The last series was really draggy, I found. I get that they are there because it's humans who are the real enemy not the freaky aliens yeah? but come on it's the last series, I want to see what's beyond the Ring (other than the quarry planet they pulled out of the Standard Sci-Fi Sets lucky dip bag) and get some freaky alien action in there again.

One thing I will say for Filip, he genuinely does look like he is Marco and Naomi's son. OK he only looks about four years younger than them but future genetics, you know. I can only imagine he got the gig because of his resemblance to them rather than any acting ability.