Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

6 more seasons of South Park and 14(?!) movies

Started by big egg, August 06, 2021, 01:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on November 23, 2021, 11:15:52 PMIn one of the commentaries Matt and Trey said that season 2 had the least involvement from them of the series. They were told by Hollywood guys to get others to run South Park while they used its initial explosion of popularity to get their other ventures off the ground. I think they were also making BASEketball around the same time. They didn't like how that season turned out so they doubled back and South Park became their main thing again.

That being said, if you look at the credits Trey directed pretty much all the episodes and was co-credited for a lot of the writing, so I think even then they were still fairly involved

yeah seems Matt at least really dropped out for S2. Nancy M. Pimental and David Goodman filled in a lot of the writing. their long-time associate Pam Brady worked on the classic Underpants Gnomes ep. would be nice to rewatch it all and be aware of this sort of thing. still, won't back down on the dialogue being way sharper and funnier in S2.

BeardFaceMan

Funniest thing about this was the singing doorbell, although to be fair that was really fucking funny.

Captain Z

Only just found out about this yesterday but I really enjoyed it. I knew the 'woke comedy' stuff wouldn't be well-received here, but I took it as more of an 'anti-wokes actually believe this is happening' statement so it worked for me. Alexa stuff very funny too. Nothing particularly new but plenty of good old South Park humour.

Not sure if this time line will continue in a future special, I hope it does because I was absolutely gutted that we didn't get a reveal that
Spoiler alert
Cartman was just playing a trick on Kyle all along.
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Captain Z on December 05, 2021, 05:08:34 PMNot sure if this time line will continue in a future special, I hope it does because I was absolutely gutted that we didn't get a reveal that
Spoiler alert
Cartman was just playing a trick on Kyle all along.
[close]

I bloody hope it continues because it ended in the middle of a story with no resolution, so I assume it's a 2(or more) part story.

bgmnts

The woke comedy stuff was poop because John Thompson did that bit ages ago didnt he?

AsparagusTrevor

evilcommiedictator

Saw the Youtube clips of it and it was baffling, I mean, they're still trying to nail woke/fash by making all the jokes that don't currently work for the fash?
Were the PC Babies in it too? I could do with some more 4chan humor

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: big egg on August 06, 2021, 01:10:41 PMit makes me sad to see the guys who made The Book of Mormon, Team America and Baseketball sign the next 6 years of their career away to the ever diminishing returns of SP.
IIRC Baseketball was written, produced and directed by David Zucker (one third of ZAZ who did Airplane/Naked Gun), Matt and Trey just acted in it.  Still it's weird when he does the Cartman voice when sniffing the panties.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2021, 10:28:01 AMGod knows what kids born in the 00s think about South Park.
Showed my 13 year old a couple of episodes, started with 'Cartman gets an anal probe'.  He seemed pretty weirded out by it, but enjoyed it.  I think years of strange, cheaply made internet meme videos kinda prepared him for it, versus the what-the-fuck-is-this experience we had.

WRT the gay insults, we watch quite a bit of 90's UK stuff (he's Australian), so I've had to explain to him about how in the 90's we thought we had solved racism/homophobia etc, so we tended to make bad taste jokes about it.  Thing is, he goes to a pretty bogan school so he's had gay thrown at him as a slur.

I did show him a later episode ('Goobacks'), just to show him it's not all crude jokes and paper cutouts.  He seemed to enjoy it, although I could tell he was getting a bit uncomfortable over the both-sidesing in it.  He did laugh at 'DEY TURK AAAH JERBS!' (who wouldn't?)

I definitely get the feeling they are going to wind it down.  They already started doing the Simpsons death spiral, with the 'what will our characters be like in the future?' and the constant 'We live in the future, we can't make jokes now' peppered throughout the special says to me they know they're dinosaurs at this point.

Honestly, it felt like Matt and Trey had a personal falling out over COVID and this was their way of patching it up between them.

EDIT:  The singing doorbell was very funny.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 07, 2021, 07:13:24 AMIIRC Baseketball was written, produced and directed by David Zucker (one third of ZAZ who did Airplane/Naked Gun), Matt and Trey just acted in it.  Still it's weird when he does the Cartman voice when sniffing the panties.

My understanding is that Parker & Stone did extensive (and uncredited) rewrites on the script. I always wondered if this was the project that stoked either their or Zucker's latent conservative streak - wasn't too long after that P&S did Team America and JZ made the wretched An American Carol. Or maybe they just arrived at "Michael Moore is a big fat idiot" at the same time.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 07, 2021, 04:09:59 PMMy understanding is that Parker & Stone did extensive (and uncredited) rewrites on the script.

Yeah, scenes like this are pure Trey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WD9MVTfdjs

olliebean

Part 2 of the most recent special has just turned up in my downloads.

JaDanketies

Thought part 1 of the special was fucking hilarious, even if it had a 'you can't joke about anything offensive these days' recurring joke. It's fucking bullshit, Trey and Matt! That was a really offensive episode, but the only parts that crossed the 'woke' line were Jimmy's non-jokes.

idunnosomename

second one was ok. NFT stuff was good, but not as interesting as the first one overall.

Spoiler alert
god the Ike airport bit was hilarious, but maybe that's because I'm an idiot and still find flapping heads and "aboot" funny two decades later. thought the whole putting the time-travel machine on the Catholic Church high altar was pretty fun Omen sequel-like ridiculousness. also fun to see the Blade Runner live action footage pay off

chucking Cartman's wholesome Jewish family in the time-travel void was pretty mean but expected: I mean, he was a cunt as an adult too, just selfish in a different way, through religious sanctimony rather than childish petulance. but what did he sacrifice it for? the future still looks shit. just everyone got high in 2021 and admitted they fucked up? don't look to Trey Parker for any meaningful social commentary, I mean, not that you would, but just a reminder, he's best when he sticks to making fun of how Canadians don't speak and jokes about things being stuck up your ass
[close]

Old Nehamkin

Thought this one had a few good laughs again and the Butters/NFT stuff was fun but overall it felt like they dropped the ball a bit on the last episode's set-up and I felt like they could've done something far more interesting with the time travel conceit. Thought the ending with Cartman was a bit too much of a bummer but maybe I'm just getting soft. I was once again left feeling vaguely depressed and wistful.

Noodle Lizard

Right up to the reveal, I was really expecting the Cartman ending to be the exact same Future Cartman we got a glimpse of at the end of My Future Self 'n Me. I'm actually a little astonished they didn't do that.

idunnosomename

Eric Cartman is a monstrous cunt who you should never feel sorry for, I reckon the intention was meant by Parker that he became a rabbi and had a family just to spite Kyle after their friendship group broke up, as the insinuations in the first part. although the loving wholesome family was played totally straight and there was the brief bit of hiding in the attic and casting Kyle as Hitler (after his kids were all "fuck uncle Kyle" in the first part) which was a bit on the nose. wonder what Matt thought about it. well, I think these days he just shows up and does the Kyle voice and few other bits and that's it.

also the fact they are doing a timeline 40 years in the future even though the series begun in the late 90s. the parents were boomers (Jimbo and Ned being Vietnam vets) so they couldnt possibly be all alive in 2061. unlike the Simpsons I dont really care about character development being thrown out the window, it's just self-parodying meta-fiction. and they're doing a lot better than the Simpsons in the long game, since they went to shit before they even finished one decade.

backdrifter

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 07, 2021, 07:13:24 AMI definitely get the feeling they are going to wind it down.  They already started doing the Simpsons death spiral, with the 'what will our characters be like in the future?' and the constant 'We live in the future, we can't make jokes now' peppered throughout the special says to me they know they're dinosaurs at this point.

They just signed up to "6 more seasons of South Park and 14(?!) movies".

Sonny_Jim

Blatantly didn't read the title did I?  Oopsy.

Good luck to 'em, hope they can keep it fresh and I'll be watching everything they put out.  I think the new COVID special event should be out by now.

EDIT:  Yeah it is.  yarr

backdrifter

For me, the second part had only about 30% of the laughs as the first one (which I loved). But the basic story/concept held up fairly well.

As many have said, NFT stuff was great. And randomly coincided with Melania Trump launching an NFT venture on exactly the same (or maybe next?) day.

retsuza

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 07, 2021, 07:13:24 AMHonestly, it felt like Matt and Trey had a personal falling out over COVID and this was their way of patching it up between them.

Definitely possible. I never really saw Stan or Kyle as a creator self-insert but the adult character designs really look like Matt and Trey.

idunnosomename

I think Matt indeed has a full beard at the moment (obv not a big red jewfro though) while Trey just has stubble.

JaDanketies

Good two-parter all-round.

Like everyone else itt, I first enjoyed South Park two decades ago, but I've never really believed this 'South Park is getting worse' thing that everyone keeps going on about. Seems like people have been saying it for ages; back in Season 7 people were complaining that it was preachy and they preferred the anarchic and crude humour of the first seasons. Sure, the season about the first Trump election was a miss. Other than that, I think it's always been pretty solid, as has all of Matt and Trey's other output.

Some seasons are worse than others but there's always some gold, and they're doing these long-form episodes very well.

madhair60

I wouldn't say it's getting worse, I think it's just a totally different show now and I don't like it as much as I used to. The topicality makes it very patchy and there are a lot of one-joke episodes.

JamesTC

I really am fucked off by all the weed shit now.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: JamesTC on December 17, 2021, 05:27:24 PMI really am fucked off by all the weed shit now.

It's some serious dedication to trolling. They know everyone hates it, and that's why they keep doing it. The very ending of this latest special confirms that, I think.

Sadly, while I'm sure that's very funny for them, it's still not particularly funny for anyone else and it's essentially robbed us of Randy, who had become one of the best characters.

EggsLikeABird

"What about these bi sexual Canadians? They dont know whether to fuck their sister or their brother." JIMMY!

up_the_hampipe

I really liked this one. The message at the end was quite nice too, but still very SP (Cartman's fate and Space Jam 2).

Don't think I'll ever not laugh out loud at Cartman's baby going "fuck you, uncle Kyle!"

Sonny_Jim

I enjoyed part 2.  Not sure I'd agree with the 'its only about 20% as funny as part 1 but makes up for it in story'.  A lot of the jokes were more subtle, but on the whole as least as good as the first part.

Ike was a definite highlight