Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shooting #24601

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2022, 10:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-61574646

Loved this whole thinking out loud from Biden. Almost like you're the President mate. But then again, almost like the President has less power than people assume. Right there he just looks like the rest of us, exasperated and embarrassed. Like a sad little ancient boy.

But no, the answer will be we need to arm teachers, won't it?

shoulders

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 24, 2022, 11:44:00 PMooh he drove three hours! that's like me driving to Peterborough! what a useless cunt. he deserves to be mocked and shit on for all eternity for what a cowardly cunt he is

Lynn, some of these shooters have come from Stoke

shoulders

Quote from: Joe Qunt on May 17, 2022, 11:43:16 AMOf course, why didn't I think of that? What African-American communities need is to listen to white British liberals about what's best for them. Silly me!

I wasn't involved in that discussion but why bother posting in the thread discussing issues with white British liberals if you were just going to pull that cunt trick from your sleeve when someone came up with a riposte with logic you couldn't defeat?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Because Joe Qunt is obviously playing a character

Martin Van Buren Stan

Understanding motives is obviously important and whatever but it's pretty sickening for the mail to be writing a sympathetic headline for the cunt while the bodies are still warm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10851937/Texas-school-shooter-bullied-clothes-wore-family-poor.html

shoulders

Not clicking a fucking Daily Mail link.

jobotic

Bullying poor people is bad then DM?

Not clicking it either

Martin Van Buren Stan

It was a load of shite anyway. You're not missing much.

Zetetic

The bits of Biden's remarks that, assuming he was on script, hint at what they might actually attempt to do:

I spent my career as a senator and as Vice President working to pass commonsense gun laws.  We can't and won't prevent every tragedy.  But we know they work and have a positive impact.  When we passed the assault weapons ban, mass shootings went down.  When the law expired, mass shootings tripled.

The idea that an 18-year-old kid can walk into a gun store and buy two assault weapons is just wrong.

What in God's name do you need an assault weapon for except to kill someone?

Deer aren't running through the forest with Kevlar vests on, for God's sake.  It's just sick.

And the gun manufacturers have spent two decades aggressively marketing assault weapons which make them the most and largest profit.

For God's sake, we have to have the courage to stand up to the industry.

Here's what else I know: Most Americans support commonsense laws — commonsense gun laws.

Maybe:
1. Reinstate assault weapon ban.
2. Restrict access to body armour. (Biden doesn't refer to the shooter wearing armour, but I think at this point you just have to try to extract whatever broad concepts he touches on when he speaks.)
3. Target young adults specifically for increased restrictions.

Butchers Blind

Zetetic

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 25, 2022, 08:12:14 AMhttps://www.mic.com/impact/joe-bidens-record-on-gun-control-from-his-early-senate-days-to-the-2020-race-32647292
QuoteIn the end, his answer is that curbing gun violence is a matter of restricting who has [legal] access to weapons, and what's required in order to [legally] obtain a weapon in the first place

Which further emphasizes that the relevant question is - what restrictions would have disqualified this murderer from buying weapons, and so might be pushed in a new round of gun control?

The background check setup goes as far as legally possible in trying to deny legal access to weapons to Hispanic people en masse.

Posting about wanting to murder people on social media would seem an obvious tack, but likely to be unpopular unless racial discrimination could be guaranteed for the implementation of any such system.

Moving to restrict future legal gun ownership to the over 40s would be a bit mask off, but politically possible perhaps.

touchingcloth

Apparently the investigation into that plane crash is leaning towards the cause being murder-suicide by pilot. The fucking state of men, why can't we just quietly and privately stick our heads in the oven and leave the worst impact on innocents as clearing up the mess and dealing with the paperwork?

buzby

Quote from: shoulders on May 25, 2022, 08:30:56 AMhttps://twitter.com/warriors/status/1529246789290934272?t=pYetgzrx66mTStSv1xbhxw&s=19

15 million views...
It's a particularly personal issue for him - Steve Kerr's father was murdered by two gunmen in 1984 while serving as president of the American University in Beriut. You can see just how upset and angry he is.

As has been pointed out in a few articles, the lack of action after Sandy Hook was the point where US politicians decided children's lives were worth less than the NRA block vote (and all that lovely lobbying cash).

This is only going to get worse - the US Military has just adopted the SIG XM5 as a replacement for the AR15/M16/M4 assault rifle. It shoots a larger calibre (6.8mm), higher velocity, more lethal cartridge than the current 5.56mm standard (it's designed to be more lethal than even the old 7.62mm NATO rifle round). The gun industry will swivel it's Sauron's Eye to promoting civilian sales of that now (the AR15 market is almost at saturation point, due to their promotional efforts after the Assault Weapons Ban expired), and there will be a massive pool of 'tacticool' black rifle nuts ready and willing to throw their money at them.

MojoJojo

Quote from: buzby on May 25, 2022, 08:52:47 AMThis is only going to get worse

On a slightly more positive note, the NRA are in a bit of a mess at the moment - they fell out with their PR firm a few years ago and filled fr bankruptcy in March (although this was rejected). In a completely unscientific assessment of how I perceive things, it does feel this is reflected in what I'm seeing published - more "it's time to do something", less "not the time to be talking about gun control" or "mental health though".

Could just be me though, and might just be a blip before the NRA gets its act together again.

JamesTC

Whoever came up with these gun things ought to apologise.

JaDanketies

I reckon if someone wore a go-pro while they shot up a bunch of primary-school kids, that'd probably pass the limits of my rubbernecking curiosity. Don't think I could handle that. Worried that I would still watch it and give myself PTSD.

Quote from: Zetetic on May 25, 2022, 08:43:17 AMMoving to restrict future legal gun ownership to the over 40s would be a bit mask off, but politically possible perhaps.

That ain't a bad idea.

I do have sympathy with people who live in the arse-end of nowhere and who (possibly correctly) feel like they need a gun to protect their family from all sorts of beasts including wild animals, and who know the police are 2 hours away, and who live in a country that is saturated by guns.

Like I don't particularly have a problem with the UK's gun laws that mean some people have guns if they've got a reason, and any reason is good enough, such as that you're a farmer or that you are part of a rifle-shooting club. I think that could be transplanted to America without it infringing on the actually-sensible reasons to have a gun. But if I was a young black man in St Louis then I might feel like I want a gun for similarly eminently-sensible reasons.

Really tho the first thing they need is a change in mindset. It's obvious talking to them that they have incorrect justifications, and rebuttals that actually don't make any sense and aren't born out of reality. "stabbing attacks," "the UK has no-go-areas that the police don't even go to", "acid attacks in London", like there's some incredible mass of stabbings in our land.

I used to believe similar things tbh - i.e. that the UK had more violent crime than the USA and one of the reasons for this was because you might get shot for punching someone in the USA. But I think there's a big difference in reporting and recording patterns for violent crime. Videos from the USA certainly don't make it look like a place that is afraid of a scrap.

bgmnts

robhug

Steve Kerr was quite animated in his press conference, he'd be a better president than Biden

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 10:14:34 AMJust nuke the place.

Don't bring our local chip shop into this.

Dark Sexy Dangerous

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on May 25, 2022, 04:27:25 AM4chan have grabbed the profile of a trans woman and are saying it's the shooter, idiots conservatives are jumping all over it, because of course, you shouldn't politicize a tragedy and try and enact change

There are at least two photos of two different people and both of them look fuck all like Ramos. One doesn't even live in Texas, while the one from 4chan is supposedly an old picture of the user who first posted it. As you say, this hasn't stopped them from being passed around by dangerous morons, who seem unwilling or unable to do as basic a thing as recognising faces.

BritishHobo

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I saw a really good and horrifying point elsewhere which is that these shooters will all have spent their own time in high school participating in active shooter drills. They know where kids are taught to hide, because they've done it themselves. And they can go in there and have free reign because the good men with guns that these fucking ghouls always tout as the solution do absolutely fuck-all. Nineteen children.

What do you do? I remember Obama getting up there time after time and raging impotently. Two Presidents on and the same shit. How powerless must you feel as an American with kids, watching your President ask when we'll be able to change things? Who the fuck has the answer to that question?

bgmnts

Take your prayers and shove them up your collective recta of evil you scummy cunts. How come these twats never go mental with a gun when one of these bastards are around? Always kids or minorities or just people going about their business.

Hate this shit.

shoulders

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 25, 2022, 09:19:07 PMSorry if this has been mentioned already but I saw a really good and horrifying point elsewhere which is that these shooters will all have spent their own time in high school participating in active shooter drills. They know where kids are taught to hide, because they've done it themselves. And they can go in there and have free reign because the good men with guns that these fucking ghouls always tout as the solution do absolutely fuck-all. Nineteen children.

Desolate enough that they're taught that.

In America it's almost believable that instead of being taught where to hide they'd teach the kids where to buy guns themselves and hand out vouchers with 20% off their first shooter.

shoulders

What's going on, just read

'Pelosi and Clyburn making 11th hour robocalls for an anti abortion candidate with an A rating from the NRA as Roe is about to be overturned sums up everything about Democratic party leadership'

JamesTC

Just fire all the bullets into one really big child. Then there will be no bullets left. That ought to solve it.

Kankurette

If I was a teacher and I had to start carrying a gun, I'd quit. I don't care if this makes me a shitlib. Teachers should not have to carry guns to work with them.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2022, 10:22:32 PMJust fire all the bullets into one really big child. Then there will be no bullets left. That ought to solve it.

Or shoot all children with lots of tiny bullets from a very young age, gradually upping the calibre as they get older so they build up a natural immunity. They should let each individual state choose which of these two clever solutions to adopt.

Cold Meat Platter

I think I've cracked it.
Make all the children have to join the army age 5 and their schools will be on the army bases full of army guys (and gals ee-eugh-ee-eugh-ee-eugh) with guns and howitzers and thermobaric obamas. After a few years when they can lift the guns they'll all be armed anyway.