Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 27, 2022, 03:48:53 PMI don't understand how the fight would change anything, isn't it too late by that point? Future Zach's new timeline doesn't require him to go back in time again, does it?
This is my problem with the plot.  The most logical thing to me is that there will always be two parallel timelines - one with a scraggly Reece, one with a scraggly Steve - equal and opposite, in reaction to each other, but then that makes the final scene feel cheap, as the fight scene doesn't actually have any consequence despite it being implied to.  The logical and emotional plotlines are in conflict with each other, as it were.

Mavis Grind

Quote from: selectivememory on May 26, 2022, 01:43:51 PMI thought that was rubbish, definitely one of my least favourite episodes they've done. The bit with Reece's character at the end redeemed it a little bit, but I was not into all that cheesy soap opera stuff that made up most of the episode.

Ah well, I always expect a clunker every series. Enjoyed the first four episodes a lot, so no big deal.

"Cheesy soap opera"?  I didn't get that at all.

selectivememory

Maybe a bit harsh of me. I just didn't get on with the domestic drama side of it, that's all.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It was one of those episodes in which there were literally *no* laughs or attempts at jokes, so " soap opera" seems about right, it was definitely more drama than comedy.

neveragain

Quote from: somersetchris on May 27, 2022, 03:54:59 PMJust listening to the podcast and they started off by saying 'this was an idea that we've had knocking around for ages that we decided to come back to' which they've said several times about this series' episodes.

There's a reason for that. Filming for Series 6 had been cut short by the first lockdown. As something to do, Reece and Steve wrote episodes for Series 7 (via Zoom, which they said felt awkward) during the down time. But then, when Series 6 was ready to restart production, it was decided to mix up all the episodes they'd written in order to have the most Covid-friendly (or Covid-unfriendly) scripts to film. Therefore both Series 6 and 7 were ultimately delivered in a completely different order to what was first imagined.

It could be said (if you were of such a critical bent) that they wore themselves out writing so many episodes in quick succession. However, in my view, most of the strongest episodes were written in that lockdown period.

From what I've picked up from interviews and the podcasts, this shows (in no particular order) which series each episode was originally written for:
Spoiler alert
**Series 6
Last Night of the Proms
Mr. King
Merrily Merrily
Nine Lives Kat
Hurry Up And Wait
Kid/Nap

**Series 7
Wuthering Heist
A Random Act of Kindness
How Do You Plead?
Lip Service
Simon Says
Wise Owl
[close]

bobloblaw

Quote from: neveragain on May 29, 2022, 04:48:47 PMThere's a reason for that. Filming for Series 6 had been cut short by the first lockdown. As something to do, Reece and Steve wrote episodes for Series 7 (via Zoom, which they said felt awkward) during the down time. But then, when Series 6 was ready to restart production, it was decided to mix up all the episodes they'd written in order to have the most Covid-friendly (or Covid-unfriendly) scripts to film. Therefore both Series 6 and 7 were ultimately delivered in a completely different order to what was first imagined.

It could be said (if you were of such a critical bent) that they wore themselves out writing so many episodes in quick succession. However, in my view, most of the strongest episodes were written in that lockdown period.

From what I've picked up from interviews and the podcasts, this shows (in no particular order) which series each episode was originally written for:
Spoiler alert
**Series 6
Last Night of the Proms
Mr. King
Merrily Merrily
Nine Lives Kat
Hurry Up And Wait
Kid/Nap

**Series 7
Wuthering Heist
A Random Act of Kindness
How Do You Plead?
Lip Service
Simon Says
Wise Owl
[close]

Blimey, yes several of the best of this bunch are in that original series 7 plan

neardark

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 28, 2022, 10:52:09 AMIt was one of those episodes in which there were literally *no* laughs or attempts at jokes, so " soap opera" seems about right, it was definitely more drama than comedy.

There was the concussion/sparrow line.

neveragain

Thosworth

Near the end when both coffee cups fell over I thought it was the timelines bleeding through/ breaking down, but it turned out just to be purely visual.

Also didn't get the ending at all until I came here. I think the last shot of the bird should have been a bit longer to show it wasn't being picked up, as I completely missed that that was the point (or the initial picking up should have been much quicker).

This meant I didn't appreciate the infinite double looping timelines. There's a similar concept in Triangle, which is a brilliant time loop film.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Thosworth on May 30, 2022, 08:13:42 AMNear the end when both coffee cups fell over I thought it was the timelines bleeding through/ breaking down, but it turned out just to be purely visual.

Also didn't get the ending at all until I came here. I think the last shot of the bird should have been a bit longer to show it wasn't being picked up, as I completely missed that that was the point (or the initial picking up should have been much quicker).

This meant I didn't appreciate the infinite double looping timelines. There's a similar concept in Triangle, which is a brilliant time loop film.

Triangle? I don't remember any of that stuff?

I just remember Kate O'mara stripping off to sunbathe as a way to test the resolve of her new crew. Mind you I think I've only ever seen the pilot episode.

Alberon

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on May 27, 2022, 05:02:24 PMThis is my problem with the plot.  The most logical thing to me is that there will always be two parallel timelines - one with a scraggly Reece, one with a scraggly Steve - equal and opposite, in reaction to each other, but then that makes the final scene feel cheap, as the fight scene doesn't actually have any consequence despite it being implied to.  The logical and emotional plotlines are in conflict with each other, as it were.

Unless Reece's character from the first timeline managed to send specs to build a time machine to the second timeline then there wouldn't be a continual changing between the two timelines. You'd get the first run through where the mum dies early and Zach helps develop time travel then loops back to save his mum and then the second timeline carries on. Reece's character can kill Steve's character, but nothing will change.

The final shots suggest time has been reverted in which case it'll continually circle around and around.

somersetchris

Quote from: Mavis Grind on May 27, 2022, 05:27:51 PM"Cheesy soap opera"?  I didn't get that at all.

I personally felt the 'I love you son' / ' I hate you mum' dialogue was very clunky, as if someone is trying to write out the issues they are having with their own teenage children. It was a very exaggerated and cliched depiction of a teenage misanthropist. Like the kind you might get on a soap opera as they don't have time to write good dialogue.

Thosworth

Quote from: Alberon on May 30, 2022, 10:23:19 AMReece's character can kill Steve's character, but nothing will change.

My interpretation is:
  • Timeline 1 - No mystery visitor, Zach hates mum. Makes time machine with Reece, takes time machine back and tells young Zach to love his mum
  • Timeline 2 - Zach studies chemistry, cures cancer, loves mum. Suitcase has instructions 'In 2062 use this machine to go back in time and tell mum you love her.'

Timeline 2 would then become a closed loop (only with successful Steve/Zach taking the message instead of sad Steve/Zach)

When Reece kills Steve before he can travel back, it reverts to Timeline 1, and the loop is now both 1 and 2.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: somersetchris on May 27, 2022, 02:33:28 PMExcept Primer. Watch Primer.

Also Timecrimes. The plot in that is as tight as a gnat's chuff and all the more impressive for its small budget. I think it's probably my favourite time travel movie.

Stigdu

Tonight's episode, Wise Owl, is brilliant. Probably the best of this series, I think.

MigraineBoy

ishantbekeepingit

Spoiler alert
Could make a good last episode of the show.  Bookends with Sardines, because they're both about noncings.
[close]

bobloblaw

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 01, 2022, 10:34:14 PM
Spoiler alert
Could make a good last episode of the show.  Bookends with Sardines, because they're both about noncings.
[close]

two more series on the way. Maybe they want to take it to series 9 for symbolic reasons https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/inside-no-9-series-8-and-9

Ham Bap

Ronnie the Raincoat

jobotic

Yeah. Been disappointed on the whole by this series but that was superb.

And horrible. Although I still laughed a couple of times.

Captain Z

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on June 01, 2022, 10:40:13 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Where is that from?

Two very strong episodes to finish the series, I thought. Personally, I would have swapped them around though.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Captain Z on June 01, 2022, 11:03:55 PMWhere is that from?

Two very strong episodes to finish the series, I thought. Personally, I would have swapped them around though.

The League of Gentleman book from years ago. 

They have a habit of ending the series with a 'horror' ep don't they?  I know this was more real world than their usual, but it was definitely horrific.

JohnnyCouncil

I'm not the most critical but loved that, still got shivers. Enjoyed the whole series to be honest and don't really watch it for the laughs, though it has it's moments.

Malcy

Alberon

Did have a great laugh at
Spoiler alert
Ferrari post-stuffing.
[close]

Stigdu

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2022, 11:32:42 PMDid have a great laugh at
Spoiler alert
Ferrari post-stuffing.
[close]

That was the bit I laughed at, too (in a shocked kind of way).

idunnosomename

i loved the sets on this. presumably they didn't actually fit out the house we see with 70s leftovers decor. but very well done. the animation segments too.

Captain Z

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 01, 2022, 11:39:41 PMi loved the sets on this. presumably they didn't actually fit out the house we see with 70s leftovers decor. but very well done.

Oh yes, there were some great touches. The carpet around the bath! I hated it but I loved it.