Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US supreme court says yanks have a right to publicly carry guns

Started by Martin Van Buren Stan, June 23, 2022, 08:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Most US states allow open carry without a permit and almost half allow concealed carry without a permit (while in many others a permit is very easy to get). (In some states rules are slightly different for hand guns and long guns). If I was American I'd just wander round with a big gun the whole time and fuck you all. And carry another in my sock.

kittens

definitely get a gun if i lived there. mess with me? BLAMMO! i'd be the toughest guy on the block!

Blumf

touchingcloth

What if you're not carrying the gun, but you've attached it to a drone and it just follows you around and looks where you look and shoots when you think? Did they think about that, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison and Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, the stupid wooden-tooth bewigged cunts? I'd have expected more from Gunning Bedford Jr.

Ferris

Quote from: a reporterIn a 6 to 3 vote...

Get used to reading those words for the next 30 years because there's a lot more of this stuff coming.

The mania for the constitution is bizarre - more children in schools and random people doing their shopping will die horrible, painful, senseless deaths and we could prevent it, but ahh the words are written down here, do you see? Ahhh.

Poobum

It's where the divine mandate and manifest destiny comes in though innit, isn't a document written by a bunch of men reflecting the society and values of the time, but God inspired and inviolate.

Dr Rock

JamesTC

Dark Sexy Dangerous

Carry guns as you please, but in other news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61928898

QuoteRoe v Wade: US Supreme Court strikes down abortion rights

Millions of women in the US will lose the legal right to abortion, after the Supreme Court overturned a 50-year-old ruling that legalised it nationwide.

The court struck down the landmark Roe v Wade decision, weeks after an unprecedented leaked document suggested it favoured doing so.

The judgement will transform abortion rights in America, with individual states now able to ban the procedure.

Half of US states are expected to introduce new restrictions or bans.

Thirteen have already passed so-called trigger laws that will automatically outlaw abortion following the Supreme Court's ruling. A number of others are likely to pass new restrictions quickly.

In total, abortion access is expected to be cut off for about 36 million women of reproductive age, according to research from Planned Parenthood, a healthcare organisation that provides abortions.

The Supreme Court had been considering a case, Dobbs v Jackson Women's Health Organization, that challenged Mississippi's ban on abortion after 15 weeks.

But the court ruled in favour of the state by a majority vote of six to three, effectively ending the constitutional right to an abortion.

Democratic governors of several states including California, New Mexico and Michigan have already announced plans to enshrine abortion rights within their constitutions if Roe v Wade is overturned.

The landmark 1973 Roe v Wade case saw the Supreme Court rule by a vote of seven to two that a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy was protected by the US constitution.

The ruling gave American women an absolute right to an abortion in the first three months (trimester) of pregnancy, but allowed for restrictions in the second trimester and for prohibitions in the third.

But in the decades since, anti-abortion rulings have gradually pared back access in more than a dozen states.

idunnosomename

America really knows how to take the fucking piss

This seems more dramatically shit than anything under Trump so uh. What is point

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Women get guns and start shooting off men's balls.

That'll get guns banned right quick.

JamesTC

Mister Six

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 24, 2022, 11:32:50 AMI wonder how many pro-guns Americans have completely changed their minds on gun rights after someone they care about was killed by one? Probably not many.

A few years ago there was a story about a guy from one of the Southern states, I forget which, whose two-year-old son accidentally shot himself after finding his dad's gun. Daddy's immediate response was to tell the press that this was his own fault, not the gun's, and that this case should not be used in favour of gun control laws. I don't think he was charged, so it's not like the NRA were offering to pay his legal fees. It's just a mad fucking cult.

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 24, 2022, 03:32:40 PMAmerica really knows how to take the fucking piss

This seems more dramatically shit than anything under Trump so uh. What is point

This is happening because Trump was able to appoint three right-wing cunts, including an alleged rapist, to the Supreme Court. If Clinton or Sanders had got in, this wouldn't be happening (at least, not for a long while).

Ferris

Quote...the court ruled in favour of the state by a majority vote of six to three...

There's those words again. The amount of damage one idiot in a red hat was able to do to the US is incredible. And in only one term!

And they might vote for him again!!

Boggles the mind.

Dr Rock

If Einstein was correct, Americans will soon evolve into being bullet-proof.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 24, 2022, 04:44:38 PMIf Einstein was correct, Americans will soon evolve into being bullet-proof.

maybe these legal changes are just the after effects of americans evolving a gun based diet

whoever holds the patent for L-shaped cheese slices is going to be the new J D Rockefeller

Uncle TechTip

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 06:12:40 PM[appealing to innate humanity using an economic argument]

Well they've got round that by being the only industrialized nation on earth not to offer any legally-protected parental leave.

You birth your child, use your two weeks of vacation to try and physically recover, then back to work and stash your infant in a daycare. Bonus: you pay through the nose for it, so it's very beneficial for GDP calculations. Economically speaking, it's a win-win!!

I've worked with Americans who return to work so soon after giving birth they need standing desks because their bodies still haven't physically recovered but the company needs that file done asap. Tried telling them I took 7 months off in Canada when my son was born - they look at confused, then you like you're making it up, before storing it away in their "true, but don't think about it" brain-file.

Blumf

somersetchris

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 24, 2022, 03:32:40 PMThis seems more dramatically shit than anything under Trump so uh. What is point

This was part of the Republicans' long game, always has been. Trump was able to appoint three supreme court justices, giving them a 6-3 majority, and he also loaded up the lower courts with conservative judges.

Although why the fuck there is such a thing as a 'conservative judge' is beyond me. The law is the law, they're supposed to interpret it. But apparently now, even though the US has a Democratic president with a majority in congress, three unelected lifetime appointments get to change the law. What the actual fuck.

idunnosomename

also why is the executive branch allowed such control over the judicial branch. seems that if you get the right timings of people dying you can game the system. its a hopelessly stupid constitution imo

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on June 24, 2022, 02:14:02 PMGet used to reading those words for the next 30 years because there's a lot more of this stuff coming.

The mania for the constitution is bizarre - more children in schools and random people doing their shopping will die horrible, painful, senseless deaths and we could prevent it, but ahh the words are written down here, do you see? Ahhh.

Written down there, a long time ago. The thing to remember is that those men who wrote those words were cut from a different cloth than our modern politicians. I swear to god that some of today's Republican congress people would happily bring back slavery.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 25, 2022, 03:48:29 PMalso why is the executive branch allowed such control over the judicial branch. seems that if you get the right timings of people dying you can game the system. its a hopelessly stupid constitution imo

It worked when it was drafted because the people drafting it couldn't conceive of anyone ever going against the spirit of the document because they were all from the same old boys' network. Trump's time in office showed why this was a terrible and unworkable assumption.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on June 24, 2022, 02:58:00 PMMake guns bigger so they can't be concealed.

As if Americans don't have a constitutional right to fatten themselves larger than any "gun".

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 25, 2022, 04:21:44 PMWritten down there, a long time ago. The thing to remember is that those men who wrote those words were cut from a different cloth than our modern politicians. I swear to god that some of today's Republican congress people would happily bring back slavery.

Here's a GOP senator publicly advocating for a repeal of Plessy v Ferguson and Brown v Board of Education on the back of the repeal of Roe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1540689961040482306

Those are landmark racial segregation cases (Plessy was decided in the 1890s). I don't follow the point he's making but it's fucking scary.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on June 25, 2022, 08:42:06 PMHere's a GOP senator publicly advocating for a repeal of Plessy v Ferguson and Brown v Board of Education on the back of the repeal of Roe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1540689961040482306

Those are landmark racial segregation cases (Plessy was decided in the 1890s). I don't follow the point he's making but it's fucking scary.

Reading about Plessy on Wikipedia it sounds like it provided protections for segregation and is widely seen as the worst decision in the Supreme Court's history. So repealing would be...good?

Crenners

Why does anyone care about Americ

make no different to your life

Dr Rock

Quote from: Crenners on June 25, 2022, 08:59:03 PMWhy does anyone care about Americ

make no different to your life

They certainly don't tend to care about us. I care as much about North Americans as I do Middle and South Americans, but our racist news media doesn't see fit to keep us informed as to what's going on there.