Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian & Charles

Started by Malcy, May 17, 2022, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I'm sure there was a thread for this but from years ago. This is finally getting released. 8th of July in cinemas. And it looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnXr4djsq9Q

BritishHobo

So excited. Cannot believe I'm going to get to watch a Brian Gittins film in the cinema. What the fuck?

DrGreggles

I'm going to the UK premiere!
Sort of... It's the first proper showing anyway.

I wonder if I'll do an involuntary cheer when
Spoiler alert
David Edwards
[close]
appears.

Based on the trailer I do fear this has the mawkish hand of Gervais involved in proceedings: Kind man wins the day.

There was an appealing nihilism about the older short. Seems to have been well received, so I guess we'll see.

Ron Superior

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 17, 2022, 08:11:21 AMI'm going to the UK premiere!
Sort of... It's the first proper showing anyway.

I wonder if I'll do an involuntary cheer when
Spoiler alert
David Edwards
[close]
appears.

Absolutely, 100%, goes without saying.

famethrowa

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 17, 2022, 11:50:01 AMBased on the trailer I do fear this has the mawkish hand of Gervais involved in proceedings: Kind man wins the day.

I sense an hour or so of indignity being heaped on the main character, then a small moment of "victory" at the end?

DrGreggles

The original short is here:

Quote from: famethrowa on May 17, 2022, 05:41:40 PMI sense an hour or so of indignity being heaped on the main character, then a small moment of "victory" at the end?

Yeah, Brian fends off the thuggish lad and finds love. I'm not saying that's a bad story to tell necessarily, rather that I can smell After Life and Derek in that trailer.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 17, 2022, 11:50:01 AMthe mawkish hand of Gervais involved

He's used the chubby funster to such a large degree to boost his career (and bank balance) in the last few years that I'm surprised anyone can see him and not think of the pastie.

Ron Superior

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 17, 2022, 05:53:12 PMYeah, Brian fends off the thuggish lad and finds love. I'm not saying that's a bad story to tell necessarily, rather that I can smell After Life and Derek in that trailer.

I'm hopeful that it's more that they've crammed every moment of that in to the trailer, rather than there's loads of that in the film. Fingers crossed.

zomgmouse

noticed this on the Sundance lineup and it piqued my interest without knowing it was based on a previous body of work. how much would it make sense to someone with zero familiarity with the prior material - and what of the prior material is worth seeking out to get a base/handle on what it is?

trabuch

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 17, 2022, 11:50:01 AMBased on the trailer I do fear this has the mawkish hand of Gervais involved in proceedings: Kind man wins the day.

You might have said the same about Detectorists or Sick of It. But they turned out well enough. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ron Superior

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 18, 2022, 12:41:17 AMnoticed this on the Sundance lineup and it piqued my interest without knowing it was based on a previous body of work. how much would it make sense to someone with zero familiarity with the prior material - and what of the prior material is worth seeking out to get a base/handle on what it is?

I'd say the only thing there's really been that could be related to it is the short film, and the full length seems like more of an expansion on that than a continuation or anything.

But the Brian Fittings and Friends podcast features both of them and, while having nothing to do with the film at all, is one of the funniest podcasts ever so definitely worth checking out.

PlanktonSideburns

The film is co-written by Chris Hayward (AKA Charles Petrescu) who, for my money, is a hugely underrated comic talent, with writing credits for Big Train, Smack the Pony and Cardinal Burns. Here are a few of his gems (well, I think they're gems and if you don't, well -FUCK YOU!!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMgoZs2iWuw&ab_channel=mrbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQ_ZrSBYbo&ab_channel=ratbanjos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3juV5xWFwo&ab_channel=mrbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbBm3vVpbU&ab_channel=mrbox

Ron Superior

Yeah, Chris Heyward is great. He said on his Patreon recently that he's thinking of winding down Dr Giles Podan, which would be a huge shame as I think he's a great character.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 18, 2022, 06:27:17 AMI'd say the only thing there's really been that could be related to it is the short film, and the full length seems like more of an expansion on that than a continuation or anything.

But the Brian Fittings and Friends podcast features both of them and, while having nothing to do with the film at all, is one of the funniest podcasts ever so definitely worth checking out.

ah ok. i kept seeing the thread popping up and thought there was this whole world much like Partridge. thanks for the info :)

lauraxsynthesis

TBF Gervais didn't invent the nice fella wins in the end after getting bullied storyline.

DrGreggles

David's going to be at the Picturehouse showing, so not sure if there's a Q&A planned.

DrGreggles

Saw it yesterday and it's great.
Genuinely funny and heartwarming.

BritishHobo

Saw the trailer for this at an indie cinema today. God it looks lovely. It makes me think of the Gittins pilot that was on Channel 4 during the Spreaker show era, and which was unexpectedly good-natured and warm. Still feels utterly surreal seeing Brian and that daft robot on a big screen peppered with glowing quotes from American critics.

Bad Ambassador

Although it took only $198,000 in its opening weekend from a limited release in 279 screens, it's scraped into the US box office top 10 in its opening weekend, so that's good for publicity if nothing else.

DrGreggles

Lots of Vue cinemas have a showing tomorrow night and Picturehouse next week, before it's properly released in a fortnight.

BritishHobo

Aaargh! Gutted, I'm busy tomorrow night but it is on at my local Vue. I'm surprised, their film selection is a lot better than I expected it to be. Really hoping they are also screening it on its release and it's not just a one-off.

Absolutely love that it's hit the Top 10. I keep seeing it mentioned in American film groups and the like alongside all these other great films of the year, all these hugely well-regarded A24 films. The film of the bloke whose Spreaker show I used to ring up at 2am and chat bollocks on, aye? It's absolutely delightful. I used to lament after seeing him perform that he was the best comedian I'd ever seen but that the stuff he was doing meant he'd never be seen by the amount of people he deserved to be seen by. I've never been so happy to be such a wrong, thick idiot. I want everyone to see the Brian Gittins film and I want everyone to love it.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea despite gittins's appeal somehow being lost to me fair fucks to him, what a lovely thing that such a mad little project gets out there and smashes it.

Will try again at his stuff with a better attitude I think

Ron Superior

Yes! Got tickets booked a Vue showing tomorrow night. Been excited for this since he first mentioned he was doing it on his Patreon. So excited to finally see it.

BritishHobo

Hope I'm not being an idiot not going tomorrow night...

The Ombudsman

Nearest cinema to me is an Odeon. Nearest Vue is miles away. Hope it comes to me soon. This isn't a Vue only release or something daft is it?

Ron Superior

No, I think it's just a preview at Vue cinemas tomorrow only. Not sure how wide it will open in July, but it won't be at just Vue cinemas.

BritishHobo

Very much considering cancelling all of my plans tomorrow evening in order to see this.