Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THings you find hauntological that no one else does

Started by George White, June 29, 2022, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

The classic, of course, though it doesn't unsettle me particularly. People talk of this ident making them feel mournful and lonely

petril

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on July 02, 2022, 01:28:02 PMOthers probably would find this hauntological, but the animated "The Video Collection" logo from 80/90s VHS tapes:

How about the thing that used to get out at the start of VHSs which made piracy look quite cool, in a Byker Grove sort of way?

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 30, 2022, 10:52:47 PMThis is the only clip I can find of Faherty's Garden and it has stirred up some actual fear:

So, Faherty's Garden was merely an insert for Bosco? Now that's piling fear upon fear!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 03, 2022, 08:14:14 PMSo, Faherty's Garden was merely an insert for Bosco? Now that's piling fear upon fear!
Freddie Fox is worse in one way but doesn't give me the Fear the way that purple crow from Faherty's Garden does:

Did the Mind's Eye series of VHS tapes make its way to the UK? A wordless ensemble of incredibly naff early-90s CGI segments set to incredibly naff early-90s synth music. I think it was ostensibly meant to showcase the cutting edge of CGI animation.

My family got a copy on an out of town vacation when I was very young and I used to obsessively watch it. Not knowing at the time and in my youthful ignorance that it was a fairly popular VHS hit (probably advertised on TV?) I somehow got it into my head that it was an obscure, esoteric thing as if I was watching the satellite feed from Videodrome or something handed out to initiates of an Eyes Wide Shut-esque cult. (Not references I would have contemporaneously made, obviously.) Maybe it was that misconception combined with the inherent strangeness of the animations/soundtrack, but I found the whole thing very unsettling and I still have distinct hauntological (?) memories of certain bits, like the segment with the pods spitting out seeds or the Anubi running around an Egyptian temple.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: convulsivespace on July 03, 2022, 09:13:14 PMDid the Mind's Eye series of VHS tapes make its way to the UK? A wordless ensemble of incredibly naff early-90s CGI segments set to incredibly naff early-90s synth music. I think it was ostensibly meant to showcase the cutting edge of CGI animation.

Yup, certainly at least some of the range. A friend of mine was a big animation fan and also a gamesmaster for various RPG campaigns, and watched the series both for fun and inspiration. I recall one sequence of a mechanical, streamlined hound racing across the desert which gave him a visual handle on the exact sort of cyborg dog I was bringing into a campaign.

Thomas

Quote from: McDead on July 02, 2022, 03:41:48 PMThe classic, of course, though it doesn't unsettle me particularly. People talk of this ident making them feel mournful and lonely

Absolutely funereal. The sonic representation of being forgotten. Musical notes arranged in a forbidden order, so as to produce total coffin isolation for just a few cold seconds. The warbling reverb, death rattle.

Recently ordered a book of hauntological essays. Ghosts of My Life, by Mark Fisher. After a long time of appreciating eerie '70s adverts and numbers stations, I only actually bothered probing the detailed definition of hauntology this last week.

Pylons.

Glebe

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 03, 2022, 09:03:09 PMFreddie Fox is worse in one way but doesn't give me the Fear the way that purple crow from Faherty's Garden does:

Classic! Corrie Crow!

There's something definitely quite haunting about Pipkins, apart from the oddly dingy run-down quality of the sets and props and the disturbing raggedy designs of the puppets, there's something a bit strange about how quickly it vanished from the popular consciousness, despite having been watched by a generation of children. As if it fell into the same time trap that ensnared Sapphire and Steel(which was another victim of the collapse of ATV).

It's funny how you can tell the version of Hartley that introduces the episode above is a modern recreation, because he doesn't look like an eldritch abomination stitched together from the remains of something long dead and given grotesque new life in an unholy rite.

Tikwid

If we're talking idents, how about the old 2 Entertain logo that appeared on a lot of BBC DVDs in the mid-2000s (including season 2 of Doctor Who, which is what I'll always associate it with)? I don't know if there's much nostalgia for this period of media yet, but this absolutely embodies the hauntological side of that era if there was any. The hopeful piano melody being brought down by the terrifying saw synth note is just, EUGH

McDead

Quote from: Thomas on July 04, 2022, 12:14:01 AMAbsolutely funereal. The sonic representation of being forgotten. Musical notes arranged in a forbidden order, so as to produce total coffin isolation for just a few cold seconds. The warbling reverb, death rattle.

Don't forget that, if you're at the end of the tape, this ident then segues into a bleak, watchful darkness. You might even see your own ghostly reflection in there.

Enzo

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thomas on July 04, 2022, 12:14:01 AMAbsolutely funereal. The sonic representation of being forgotten. Musical notes arranged in a forbidden order, so as to produce total coffin isolation for just a few cold seconds. The warbling reverb, death rattle.

Yes, well described. To me it evokes the earliest childhood pangs of awareness that you and everyone you know are all eventually going to die. I used to rush to the video player to turn it off before the ident popped up when I was watching the Wrong Trousers or whatever because it really did fill me with dread, but sometimes I'd perversely let it play. Wallace and Gromit are gone now and there is only the abyss, it seemed to say.

non capisco

Recently ordered a book of hauntological essays. Ghosts of My Life, by Mark Fisher. After a long time of appreciating eerie '70s adverts and numbers stations, I only actually bothered probing the detailed definition of hauntology this last week.

Pylons.

Loved this post. "The sonic representation of being forgotten", oof that's the good shit. And absolutely pylons.

Fr.Bigley

The first playstations ident music with its needless dramatic bbc2 style fade out made me uneasy....usually as it was immediately followed by resident evil.

Fr.Bigley

Glebe

wrec

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on July 02, 2022, 03:20:22 PMNeil Young's song Sample and Hold is tremendously hauntological, for me.

An early 80s vision of a future that didn't quite arrive. It's kinda Buck Rogers-y. It's really hypnotic and dark:

https://youtu.be/8_joC1jgTvQ

Love that song and the whole Trans album. The post-vaporwave revival of FM synthesis led me to reassess Landing On Water too.

Also get a kick out of references in 60s-80s media about the ubiquity of computer technology.

wrec

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 03, 2022, 09:03:09 PMFreddie Fox is worse in one way but doesn't give me the Fear the way that purple crow from Faherty's Garden does:

RIP Philip Tyler.

I was as big a Bosco stan as any 80s kid but only have the vaguest recollection of this and Flaherty, though I have strong recollections of Gregory Grainneog's pencil-scored flesh. And the Magic Door of course.

George White

The black and white footage of people having boring holidays re-manifested in Hi-De-Hi's titles.

itsfredtitmus

the queens nose isn't spoken about in hauntological terms as much as it should

George White

I think the difference with that late 90s era of pseudo-hauntological kids TV - the Demon Headmaster, Queen's Nose is that it undermined the darkness with slapstick unlike the Queen's Nose where the humour and weirdness merged into one glorious whole.

Maybe See How They Run - a really grim thriller about a family in witness protection down under.
Or Pig heart Boy - though the book is darker (i.e. it ends with the kid discovering that his chances of reaching adulthood are practically zero).

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDNVcRr56g
1985's The Price - Channel 4 drama about Harriet Walter and Susanna Reid (yes, that one) as Anglo-Irish aristos being held captive in Wicklow by IRA man Derek 'Charlie from Casualty' Thompson (then typecast post Harry's Game) and only Walter's husband, Sinclair-esque computer magnate Peter Barkworth can save them.
A grim drama with an oddly triumphant sweep of a theme. But the whole thing resonates with hauntological grimness.
I know a friend who saw this as a kid, absolutely shat him up.
But for me there's something about the whole look of the thing - it looks like a public information film, and it's shot in locations I know extremely well and grew up amongst. Also with all the familiar Irish faces (a whole stream of faces from Father Ted, young Adrian Dunbar and Ian McElhinney) and even the slight uncanny valley of Dublin playing both Dublin and London.

itsfredtitmus

chucklevision is pretty haunty, esp the midi trumpets that sound when you least expect it giving you a moment of pause. kinda scary!

The Ombudsman