Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:59:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrec

Quote from: king_tubby on July 05, 2022, 07:46:05 PMThat Madonna one, wouldn't it be far more likely to be Roe vs Wade related? Also given the amount she's appropriated from LGBT+ culture it would seem odd if she was transphobic.

It clearly is about that. Based on the intro the cynic in me is expecting her to announce her new album REVOLUTION tomorrow, with her done up as Che Guevara on the cover.

There are certainly celebs still pally with Chappelle who aren't going all-in on the transphobia. But (cynical hat on again) if you did want to be causing a commotion (eh? eh?) on the socials and in the gossip columns, one way would be to make a big fuss over Chappelle, say you love Harry Potter, get everyone speculating, and when you're asked in a big interview, drop a massive TWAW.

jenna appleseed

can somebody with more talent than the terrible Moley turn this into Cab defeating the evil banacunts?

"Bananas
Bad vibes
Bananas
Nightmares
Jenga pieces
Blood, sweat or tears
Bananas"

also re JK Rowling (JK Rowling) wtf is a thirder or 25%er?

jenna appleseed

new avatar for anyone who wants it

declaring this thread a banana free zone

Mister Six

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 05, 2022, 07:25:59 PMBruce Springsteen, Dolly Parton, Gavin Russom, Tegan and Sara, Tom Petty, to name but a few

Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, so that's comics sewn up. Terry Pratchett and Ursula K LeGuin each outstrip Rowling's talent at fantasy writing dramatically. David Bowie had a trans woman lover. The Village People have collaborated with trans singer Dorian Electra. From comedy, Stewart Lee, Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey.

But sure, they have Ricky Gervais.

dead-ced-dead

What an honour to have post Office/Extras Gervais and post Killing Them Softly/Chapelle Show Chapelle. Comedic titans.

king_tubby

Mister Six

Quote from: retsuza on July 05, 2022, 08:50:01 PMThese quizzes are always bullshit but this one is sooo biased towards being anti-trans. I got all the way to question 22:

"If transgender people are discriminated against, it is sort of their own fault, since they could have chosen to be normal instead of transgender."

Hmm wondering if this quiz is a bit disingenuous.

I scored high for transgender scorn, I think because I went for the middle "grey thumb" option for questions like "trans people probably wish they were cis". Like, yeah, probably some of them do and some don't? That doesn't mean I think they should wish that, or I support a society that makes them feel that way...

Mister Six

Quote from: king_tubby on July 05, 2022, 10:39:41 PMBowie? Don't give them ammunition, ffs.

How so?

I've seen a fair few transphobes in the wild who wear Bowie avatars like a shield. "Look, here's a cis man who dressed like a woman. I'm fine with that! I'm progressive! But he knew what women are!"

So pointing out that Bowie moved to Berlin to be with a trans woman pal is a fun way to make them shit themselves in silent fury.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 05, 2022, 05:20:29 PMWho's next, The Tamperer?

Scatman John rises from the grave to declare his support for the trans community. "Ba-da-ba-da-ba-be bop bop bodda bope, bop ba bodda bope, fuck you JK Rowling!" he scats, before evaporating once again into the eternal ether.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 05, 2022, 11:12:59 PMI scored high for transgender scorn, I think because I went for the middle "grey thumb" option for questions like "trans people probably wish they were cis". Like, yeah, probably some of them do and some don't? That doesn't mean I think they should wish that, or I support a society that makes them feel that way...

Yeah, these were the kinds of questions I thought were particularly pointless. Being asked to imagine what people might think where there is realistically a range of opinions that are all considered valid.

Probably because the papers they've used to make it are based on tiny case studies like Blanchard's foray into sex clubs.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 05, 2022, 07:25:59 PMBruce Springsteen, Dolly Parton, Gavin Russom, Tegan and Sara, Tom Petty, to name but a few

Russell T. Davies too.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on July 05, 2022, 10:20:10 PMNeil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, so that's comics sewn up. Terry Pratchett and Ursula K LeGuin each outstrip Rowling's talent at fantasy writing dramatically. David Bowie had a trans woman lover. The Village People have collaborated with trans singer Dorian Electra. From comedy, Stewart Lee, Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey.

But sure, they have Ricky Gervais.

James Acaster, Josie Long, Nish Kumar, Sara Pascoe, David O'Doherty, Billy Bragg, Michael Ian Black, Sarah Silverman, Ash Sarkar, Owen Jones (pretty much every left wing commentator really), and lots more I can't think of right now

They have a load of right wing cunts and the few people mentioned above

boki

I, for one, am glad I never played as Seeiah in SSX Tricky.

phantom_power

Quote from: phantom_power on July 06, 2022, 12:08:26 AMJames Acaster, Josie Long, Nish Kumar, Sara Pascoe, David O'Doherty, Billy Bragg, Michael Ian Black, Sarah Silverman, Ash Sarkar, Owen Jones (pretty much every left wing commentator really), and lots more I can't think of right now

They have a load of right wing cunts and the few people mentioned above

And James Gunn (despite that mad cunt that thinks Starro is trans ideology) and Patton Oswalt and Lynda fucking Carter...etc...etc...etc

Jumblegraws

Quote from: wrec on July 05, 2022, 09:45:21 PMIt clearly is about that. Based on the intro the cynic in me is expecting her to announce her new album REVOLUTION tomorrow, with her done up as Che Guevara on the cover.

There are certainly celebs still pally with Chappelle who aren't going all-in on the transphobia. But (cynical hat on again) if you did want to be causing a commotion (eh? eh?) on the socials and in the gossip columns, one way would be to make a big fuss over Chappelle, say you love Harry Potter, get everyone speculating, and when you're asked in a big interview, drop a massive TWAW.
Nah, it's the Chappelle attendance. I've seen transphobes claim Rihanna and Beyoncé for the same, specific reason (don't know anything about Rihanna's views, but you'd have to be fucking bananas to think Beyoncé would want anything to do with that lot).
ETA: example of this mainlined banana purée

king_tubby

phantom_power

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 06, 2022, 07:59:36 AMNah, it's the Chappelle attendance. I've seen transphobes claim Rihanna and Beyoncé for the same, specific reason (don't know anything about Rihanna's views, but you'd have to be fucking bananas to think Beyoncé would want anything to do with that lot).

I think there are more famous people they have falsely or prematurely claimed as TERFs than actual TERFs.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 06, 2022, 07:59:36 AMNah, it's the Chappelle attendance. I've seen transphobes claim Rihanna and Beyoncé for the same, specific reason (don't know anything about Rihanna's views, but you'd have to be fucking bananas to think Beyoncé would want anything to do with that lot).

I'm not saying she is or isn't a TERF as I've no idea but why would they have to be bananas to think Beyonce would want anything to do with them? Beyonce's feminism has as much depth as a puddle

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Ex_GC on July 06, 2022, 08:46:33 AMI'm not saying she is or isn't a TERF as I've no idea but why would they have to be bananas to think Beyonce would want anything to do with them? Beyonce's feminism has as much depth as a puddle
She's consistently backed (and even spearheaded) pro-LGBTQ campaigns. I'm not naive enough to think there isn't a PR angle there, and obviously the umbrella aspect of the movement means she might not be very trans-acceptant specifically, but she spoke out when Trump rolled-back federal protections for transgender youths that ensured (among other things) they could access toilets that alligned with their identity and it's impossible for me to imagine a true-blue celebriterf doing that.

jobotic

Pretty sure Right Said Fred could be persuaded to go transphobic if they're not already. They love the right-wing grift.

Then JK Rowling will have to listen to Deeply Dippy on a loop all week to own the TRAs.

phantom_power

Can someone try and convince her that Anal Cunt are GC so she feels she has to promote them on Twitter as well

The Bees

Remember when they thought Adele was a terf because she mentioned being a woman in a brits speech?

MigraineBoy

Mae Martin's Instagram story (also shared by @guiltfempod on twitter https://twitter.com/GuiltFemPod/status/1544571691774652416?s=20&t=JPv85iuZxP45j-r3ENycFA) is pretty fucking great about how level-headed and understanding it is about the Bette Midler thing.
As expected though, scroll a little further down in the replies to the tweet and the usual bullshit arrives.

Also, Mae was a guest on one of Richard Herring's remote RHLSTPs during lockdown and again was pretty understanding and helpful towards Richard's fear he was a bumbling 50 something who wanted to be non-bananas.

PlanktonSideburns