Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Planescape: Torment

Started by Viero_Berlotti, March 28, 2012, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

I just bought this after hearing so much over the years about how good it is. I wasn't gaming at all in 1999, so this passed me by. Looking forwards to giving it a go.

So are there any mods anybody would recommend that would improve a first play through? Also has anybody had any experience of running it on Windows 7?

madhair60

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2012, 06:43:37 PM
it's actually Planescape

Heh, it's been a long day in the heat!

Thanks for the link....

Viero_Berlotti

Got it all patched up and running in hi-res now (found this page helpful as well http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html).

It looks wonderful, some really nice art direction in this game. Enjoying it so far, it's very dialogue heavy, but well written so it's not been a chore. It has the feeling of an old school text adventure. There is a strong sense of narrative and story-telling, but at the same time you still feel like you are playing a game rather than being railroaded through a series of pointless set-pieces, cut-scenes and quick time events. I think I'm going to just enjoy playing an RPG that isn't generic elves, dwarfs and dragons or a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

RickyGerbail

is really nice game, the only major downside is that it's got an area with almost nothing in it because of time constraints in development and the final quest hub is a bit lame for the same reason.

Mister Six

I've been playing, but never completing, Planescape for years. Couldn't get used to the combat (was very much into turn-based stuff), but after completing Dragon Age: Origins, I found I could finally get a handle on it. It's a great game, full of brilliant ideas, but I found my enthusiasm petered out a bit in the part where you're supposed to find the bits and pieces to get to the evil witch woman for reasons I can't adequately recall. I got a bit lost and couldn't figure out where to get everything from, and when I looked at a walkthrough it mostly just seemed to revolve around buying shit from the demon who runs a shop.

Hey ho - I'll probably give it another try in another couple of years. How far am I from the end?

RickyGerbail

the shop is my favourite part of that game,
Spoiler alert
the reason being that you buy stuff in the shop and then have to figure out where they can be used, like the art pieces
[close]
. it would have been even better if they could be used adventure game style on different objects. the shop area is the second big quest hub in the game so if you're finished with all there's to do there you've got about a fourth of the game to go.