The Old Skool Hardcore/Rave Tune Dumping Ground Thread-a-Go-Go

Started by Puffin Chunks, February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Another classic, with the vocals from Mad World sampled (Discogs also says it samples from Brian Eno's 'Music For Airports' but I'm not overly familiar with that, guessing it's the piano)). Basically a sightly more ravey Omni Trio style (Artcore anyone?).

In Perfection - Expression (Fear Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQKCzKlOu8

monkfromhavana

Classic from 1992, though a bit less manic

DJ Splix - Nasty Rhythm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iab5cwP-E

Not listened to this in years, the intro always makes me smile with the N.W.A. sample and the computerized "Ecstacy" sample.

monkfromhavana

Got a bit of time off, so catching up with some of the newer releases (Of which there seem to be a huge amount of these days, mostly on Kniteforce. Two which have grabbed my ears are:

DJ Wislov - Too Much Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJtyHDm71GI

Straight of of Poland, possibly the most rush-tastic piece of music released since mid-1993.

N.R.G. - Helpless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHwI2OSUDvM

Since returning to making rave tunes after a 26-year hiatus, N.R.G.s tracks and remixes have been uniformly excellent, far better than the newer work by Hyper On Experience (Whose new stuff is still good, but ultimately disappointing when you think of their earlier stuff). This is a nice 1994-style smooth Jungle track (no ragga samples, so no need to worry about cultural appropriation).

BlodwynPig

Sonny_Jim

I randomly stumbled onto the autobiography of that One Nation bloke (was googling stuff about the Labyrinth/Pleasure Rooms in Tottenham high road).  He sounds like an absolute bell end.  Every story was 'this amazing thing happened and we were the only ones that did it and everybody clapped and thought we were gods because everyone else was shit compared to us'.  A proper 'twelverifer'.[nb]The kind of person who if you say to them 'I've been to Tenerife' they'll come back immediately with 'Yeah, well I've been to Twelve-erife mate, it was better.[/nb]

Nice to see Acen is still pumping out stuff, always enjoyed playing 'Trip II the Moon' at raves in the early 2000's and having people march to the decks to demand what that song was.  DJ Seduction did some stuff recently that was alright as well.

As a hobby I've been making a Christmas tree light show to dank tunes, I figured it would be nice to have an early hardcore tune in the set as well so been working on a light sequence for this tune:

Terrorize - Natural high
It feels like it's been pitched up on that recording, but I think that's actually just the normal speed.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 03, 2021, 07:30:29 PM
Heard this Monk?

Spiral Tribe - Livemix 1992

No, I'll add onto the list of mixes to check out, be nice to listen to a different slant on things. Always been a bit put off the musical side of Spiral Tribe by that "Forward The Revolution" release on Big Life that I thought was a bit pants.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 04, 2021, 07:15:59 AM
I randomly stumbled onto the autobiography of that One Nation bloke (was googling stuff about the Labyrinth/Pleasure Rooms in Tottenham high road).  He sounds like an absolute bell end.  Every story was 'this amazing thing happened and we were the only ones that did it and everybody clapped and thought we were gods because everyone else was shit compared to us'.  A proper 'twelverifer'.[nb]The kind of person who if you say to them 'I've been to Tenerife' they'll come back immediately with 'Yeah, well I've been to Twelve-erife mate, it was better.[/nb]

Nice to see Acen is still pumping out stuff, always enjoyed playing 'Trip II the Moon' at raves in the early 2000's and having people march to the decks to demand what that song was.  DJ Seduction did some stuff recently that was alright as well.

As a hobby I've been making a Christmas tree light show to dank tunes, I figured it would be nice to have an early hardcore tune in the set as well so been working on a light sequence for this tune:

Terrorize - Natural high
It feels like it's been pitched up on that recording, but I think that's actually just the normal speed.

Yeah, I have that book too and he comes across like an absolute arsehole, which I have no doubt that he is. One of those men stuck as perennial 14 year-olds obsessed with their hardness. I mean, that chapter on his security team was absolute toss, as was his various bits and bobs about his gangster mates who were all actually really lovely guys, but don't get in their way because they'll FACKIN FILL YOU IN. You go through the book, Terence, claiming that you not a gangster, so why bother putting in all this stuff?? Or does it go back to your 14 year old brain wanting to be a gangster without actually being one because.....fuck knows actually, probably RESPECT. Also probably why you've made 3 FILMS about the same people and incident.

Sorry, bit of a rant.

monkfromhavana

Always one of my favourite mid 90's D'n'B tunes, I love that riff (is it a horn?).

Lemon D - Urban Style Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtIip4pdEI