Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible Radio Comedy

Started by Bacon, March 17, 2016, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterCornelius

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 11, 2021, 12:48:45 PM
You probably know that these 4 were re-recorded by the BBC as the Missing Hancocks with Harry' son Andy as Harry. The writers and production must have been pretty nimble to work round the disapearance and then reappearance of Hancock. Presumably they didn't even write the fourth episode, A Trip to Swansea before knowing Hancock was returning.

I didn't know that - are they available for listening?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 11, 2021, 10:34:52 AM
Many thanks for these, but the writers of these reviews come across as far greater cunts than the person they're talking about.

Are you sure?

Autopsy Turvey

Jake Thingray

Either you stick with comedy of the tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo school all your life, or grow out of it and find it embarrassing in retrospect.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Jake Thingray on July 14, 2021, 03:45:56 PM
Either you stick with comedy of the tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo school all your life, or grow out of it and find it embarrassing in retrospect.

Or any number of other options, obviously.

Catalogue Trousers

And Round The Horne isn't as much 'tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo' comedy as, say, The Goon Show? Or I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 14, 2021, 04:26:59 PM
And Round The Horne isn't as much 'tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo' comedy as, say, The Goon Show? Or I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again?

The only citation for "nicky nacky noo" being said in any comedy that springs to mind is the Stock Market Report in Monty Python's Flying Circus ("forcing giblets upwards with the nicky nacky noo") and I sincerely hope I never 'grow out of' that. 'Growing out of' certain types of comedy is something that you almost feel obliged to do in your late teens/20s, but then you actually do grow up and are embarrassed in retrospect that you ever thought you had to 'grow out of' things that make you laugh. It's a complex business.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think it's a reference to Milligan's doggeral poems, Ning Nang Nong and all that. Hardly Hugo Ball.

To me it most brings to mind Milligan and Sellars early TV stuff where often you'd get someone doing something silly in the picture and unrelated Ying Tong singing and such in the audio or the novelty records where Milligan would read his nonsense poetry in unrelated songs, which date from the late 60s and 70s. Speaking of which, another cast-iron case for Milligans racism is the "Rhyming Song" he released under the "Goons" name at the end of the 70s which contains mainly old chestnut race gags including a holocaust joke. In a novelty single.

I'm not going to defend the Goons again but there isn't all that much stuff. Repeating catchphrases ad naseum and incomprehensible voices, rhubarb rhubarb and all that. The Ying Tong song is definitely cringeworthy but I don't think I'll ever not laugh at the original version of I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas, in context as a moronic performer breaking a musician's strike. There's no more reason to grow out of that than there is to grow out Big Night Out or the like.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Jake Thingray on July 14, 2021, 03:45:56 PM

This is so wrong on so many levels that I barely know where to start.

derek stitt

https://youtu.be/taIiq2OeYTk

This is the song, it's called Nicky Nokky Noo but, misremembering that ain't the end of the world. Also, think Ulrika Johnson opened up a Shooting Stars by doing a stupid dance while saying that nonsense phrase.

https://youtu.be/CejKxTc3sc4

This song is better and I haven't heard it in decades, fuck I am old, if anything thanks to this thread from some pleasant but, pointless nostalgia.

Lapsedcat

I understand there's a podcast dedicated to the Goon Show, Milligan, Sellers, Secombe and Bentine but it's probably rubbish

Johnny Foreigner

I gave up on The Now Show some ten years ago; pity, because it was hilarious in its first few years. Lost interest in the News Quiz as well.

Just a Minute has regained some of its energy under Sue Perkins; I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is what it always was. I don't mind their continuation.

The Unbelievable Truth is good and anything by John Finnemore is worth listening to.

I wish they would make some new Count Arthur Strong. It's blathering gibberish, but that's what makes it funny. I find it just as funny as Ed Reardon, albeit without the satirical dimension.

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar was a delight. Anyone remember Bleak Expectations? Loved that one as well. There was Elvenquest, The Maltby Collection, Too Much Information, Electric Ink: none of that stuff was astoundingly brilliant, but it was palatable.