News:

"At Christmas I no more desire a rose Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth; But like of each thing that in season grows."

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestHill

Saw a WIP of Stewart Lee's Snowflake/ Tornado and he absolutely tore it down. Better than ever. It felt like he was really having fun with it.

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PMespecially concerning one joke about karma which was really weak, and became unfunnier each time he repeated it.

That sounds pretty appealing to me tbh. Will seek him out.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PMGoose

I like Parrot.

DrGreggles

The new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
It's essentially an expanded version of the original show, but done as a tongue-in-cheek musical.
[close]

Seems that it's being done with an eye on touring it, or certainly doing a residency somewhere.
The current run is at at the New Diorama Theatre (which I hadn't been to before and it's very nice) until 23rd December.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 28, 2021, 11:58:10 AMThe new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
It's essentially an expanded version of the original show, but done as a tongue-in-cheek musical.
[close]

Seems that it's being done with an eye on touring it, or certainly doing a residency somewhere.
The current run is at at the New Diorama Theatre (which I hadn't been to before and it's very nice) until 23rd December.

Really glad you liked it, I've got tickets for next weekend and can't wait. Especially after today:

David McSavage - An Irish comedian I'd not heard of before, I did a brief search and saw this post:

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 25, 2013, 04:43:09 PMI doubt most of CAB even know who this guy is but the first time I ever saw him he was busking in Temple Bar in Dublin and basically abusing passers by with his comedy/being a wanker. I remember looking over and thinking he was a total cunt for putting people on the spot like that, he was really giving some people a hard time. The next time I saw him was on the Late Late Show where he did some bad comedy about the English (traditionally, a lot of Irish comedian's material has been been based on hating the hun). I thought it was rubbish.

Then a few years ago I was watching something he had come up with, a sketch show (again based on the English) called The Savage Eye and I was blown away by how good it was. Completely obsessed with Ireland and its relationship to England but top notch stuff all the same. I could never have guessed that this apparent hack had this quality show in him but you live and learn.

So thought I'd give him a go. I truly wish I hadn't, it was a miserable hour of lazy, trite material which included jokes about priests and young boys, how ugly fifty five year old women are, and how he did one gig at Angel Comedy, called someone who worked there a ponce who then burst in to tears, and how he'll now never return there. There was a chunk of material about how much he hates woke people and Guardian readers, surrounded by lacky, hacky shit which would have been embarrassingly bad thirty years ago, all of which added up to one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 28, 2021, 11:58:10 AMThe new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Just back from this now, and I absolutely loved it, it's in my top 5 comedy shows that I've ever seen with ease, and I'd recommend it to everyone, it's just gorgeously silly and daft fun and it made me laugh a ridiculous amount. Shall write a bit more when I'm sober tomorrow, but I really hope it's filmed so that I can see it again at some point.