Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrival.

Started by Glebe, August 17, 2016, 01:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Teaser.

Full trailer.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve, whose done a few noted films (none of which I've seen yet, natch, not even Sicario) and is helming the Blade Runner sequel. I really hope this isn't shit. Second trailer gives away a little too much, by the look of it (but don't they all, these days?). Nice to see Forest Whittaker having a bit of a resurgence with this and Rogue One.

Puce Moment

Incendies and Polytechnique are great little films, and I thought Prisoners was a really excellently conceived mainstream film.

Enemy was a really surprising follow-up - much more unusual and risk-taking (did he produce it prior to Prisoners?).

Sicario, for me, was awful. Pointless and boring.

This, however, looks fantastic. If he can keep out all the things I hated about Interstellar I will be delighted.

brat-sampson

When God drops a chocolate button.

Bad Ambassador

or clips his fingernails.

The British poster doesn't work either. It's supposed to be a deserted beach, but the coordinates in the corner are for Kingswear, just across the Dart estuary from Dartmouth. Shameful.

BlodwynPig

ban whispering voice overs in trailers.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 17, 2016, 01:13:27 PM

Sicario, for me, was awful. Pointless and boring.

Yeah. All the ingredients are there but it just tapers off into nothing. Traffic covered all that ground and more to much better effect sixteen years earlier. It also used Benny del Toro better. Huge dissapointment. 

WhoMe

It looks good but don't you find the premise a bit flawed if they have the technology to traverse the universe but can't do a bit of code breaking in order to understand us when they get here?

Glebe

Several early reviews online now, generally positive.

Glebe

Denis Villeneuve on Making 'Arrival', 'Blade Runner' Sequel His Way Within Studio System.

QuoteA longstanding dream of mine is to adapt "Dune," but it's a long process to get the rights, and I don't think I will succeed.

Blimey, he's gorn science fiction mad!

Johnny Caramel

Pissant

I'm looking forward to this.  Basically Independence day for grown-ups seems to be. 

After all these years of having the 'Christopher Nolan is an intelligent film-maker' meme bandied around as if having a convoluted plot was evidence of mastery, when all his films feel flat and inhuman.  So I hope someone with a bit more nous like Villeneuve rises up into the top sci-fi director spot.  Sicario naysayers must've been watching half-blind, I found the blend of thriller/character study completely and diligently gripping.

Something else I lucking fove: characters and lines trailing off, mumbled scripts.  Didn't catch that bit?  Tough tits, this is an adult movie for adults.

Pissant

Quote from: WhoMe on August 24, 2016, 02:26:41 PM
It looks good but don't you find the premise a bit flawed if they have the technology to traverse the universe but can't do a bit of code breaking in order to understand us when they get here?

The curse of all alien invasion movies, how far do you dial the dials forward?  Are they so advanced we don't even recognise them and wouldn't they have killed us all in a single instant?

But then we're presuming that all intelligences are created linearly equal, and we are de facto lower down the pecking order in every other single area.  Perhaps they got the space-rockets no problem, but seeing as how they evolved ESP in the first million years they haven't had much need for written symbolism since. 

Mr_Simnock

QuoteBasically Independence day for grown-ups seems to be. 

after watching the trailer it would seem it's more scooby do level than adult, oh and this...

fucking hell even star trek tng would balk at that

'.. me.. h u m a n...'

'do you think they understand?'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra."

Glebe

Malcy

'Shaka, when the walls fell'.

Unsure about this film. Looks good but not too convinced by the trailer amd don't wan't to know too much about it either. Still, Forest Whitaker is in it so that's a plus point.

Jerzy Bondov

I just read the short story this was based on, Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang, which doesn't have any of the (what looks like) war stuff but is quite an interesting look at how we might learn a totally alien language. I like the way they've done the writing in the film, not really how I imagined it but very cool. Story is worth a read, check it out!!!

In conclusion, Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 19, 2016, 12:03:20 PM
The British poster doesn't work either. It's supposed to be a deserted beach, but the coordinates in the corner are for Kingswear, just across the Dart estuary from Dartmouth. Shameful.

from the trailer:

Glebe

^Some farmers are in for a big surprise, I can tell you that!

Johnny Caramel

G

"The greatest danger to the whirled has been the world's best kept secret... Until now"

hewantstolurkatad

That thing in the poster looks like a piece out of a terry's chocolate orange

Serge

Saw the trailer for this again yesterday, and am quite excited now - especially as a friend is in the States and has just seen it and is raving about it, and he's usually a more miserable fucker than I am about films.

Glebe

Quote from: Serge on September 23, 2016, 04:32:19 PMSaw the trailer for this again yesterday, and am quite excited now - especially as a friend is in the States and has just seen it and is raving about it, and he's usually a more miserable fucker than I am about films.

Look's like this year's 'intelligent' SF film.[nb]Passengers leaves thread sulking. Rogue One keeps it's mouth shut.[/nb]

Serge

Well, I've seen the unintelligent one ('Independence Day 2: Independencer'), so it's about time.

Glebe

Pissant

Amy Adams: impressed
Jeremy Renner: quite impressed
Forest Whitaker: not impressed

Glebe

Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson on 'Arrival', Preparing to Score 'Blade Runner 2049', and More.

Saw some bus stop posters of with Jeremy Renner's face yesterday. Trying to depower the female lead!