Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Binding Of Isaac (Afterbirth Plus)

Started by Shay Chaise, March 25, 2017, 02:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Rev+ on November 26, 2021, 12:52:21 AMI really should be arsed about this but it's difficult to be excited about it, isn't it?

The last expansion was one too far.  Just...  just leave it be. 

Yeah, I had my fill with the original game on pc. Thought the remake wasn't as good. I've got afterbirth, but, meh, didn't feel the need to buy any more after that.

If you're looking where to go next, Monolith is excellent. Both the base game and the dlc are on sale at the minute

https://store.steampowered.com/app/603960/Monolith/

buntyman

Does anyone still play Binding of Isaac? I started playing it again over the Christmas holidays when I got Covid and have become completely hooked again. I've pumped in tons of hours over the years (probably 200+ - scared to look) but have never really followed any guides or anything so have probably got very close to some unlocks and then taken the wrong path and got nothing. I've probably done about half of the challenges, beaten Satan on easy with most characters and checked off a lot of the other things on hard with Isaac.
Because I just generally liked the game from the beginning, whenever a new DLC came out I just paid for it without really being fully aware of what it added. I still encounter the occasional new enemy or new item every tenth run or so and rarely unlock anything new when I get to the ending.
A bit of Googling about over the weekend made me realise there are huge chunks of the game i've never seen, including pretty much all of the Repentance content. I only just did the boss rush and Hush fights for the first time this weekend and I think they're probably from the first DLC. I also read about the broken shovel that you get if you beat the first floor in under a minute and then go back and bomb the starting room. Apparently that leads to a whole other sequence of difficult things you have to do to reveal another big chunk of the game. That sort of thing's a bit annoying as there's no way you'd figure that out without using internet guides.
Anyway, I'm at the stage now where every playthrough takes the best part of an hour. Fun as it is, I think there's a limit to how much more I'll play unless something majorly different opens up - any advice on some worthwhile things to focus on doing (especially things that are unlikely to happen by chance)?

gabrielconroy

I completed the first one to Golden God, which took a long old time but was very fun all the same. Played the DLCs but it got a bit more of a slog after that for me.

Something about the much bigger rooms and how convoluted some of the paths became tipped it more towards being tedious rather than the relentless energy of the original. Maybe if I gave it another bash it would be different.

As for what for you to do now, maybe try completing the original? There will still be a shit ton of stuff for you to unlock and play with if you've only just encountered boss rush - sounds like you're maybe a third complete at this stage.

druss

Heard this game was good but looks like there's a crying foetus involved?

gabrielconroy

Yeah it has a biblical theme in a grotesque cartoon aesthetic that is a bit try hard but overall works.

Obel

I've been playing this on and off since it came out and weirdly I recently got back into it as well. I thought I had done everything until I  found myself going back up the floors to the real final ending. Then I found that you can unlock another variant of each of the characters and I've gotten myself fully addicted again. I'm spending way too much time playing the game while listening to podcasts at the moment.

I've nearly clocked 1000 hours, which makes it my most played game by a bit of a margin. I feel slightly less shame in that I've clocked that over 7 years, but it's still a disgusting amount of time wasted. Oh well though, bang for my buck I guess.

Bartholomew J Krishna

Put just over 2800 hours into it and still play every day. (Mainly the 'daily run').
The sheer amount of pickups leads to some really interesting (for better or worse) interactions.
It's still my favourite game.
(As previous poster said, the 'Tainted' characters add a whole new level to it!)

oggyraiding

I have over 700 hours across the original and Rebirth. I did buy the most recent DLC but I feel it fucked the balance up and was way too hard and it sort of put me off. Certain items can completely ruin a run, and when you get the curse where you can't see what items, are there's that terrifying risk you'll get soy milk or a similarly shit item.

I don't really like the aesthetic and the "Judeo-Christian religious people are bad" shit. I'm sure there are people out there who love it, and I have no issues with media satirising religious stuff, I just found the execution of in BoI to be a bit /r/atheism.

copa

Horrible game. Always get the impression it's played by 4chan types, or whatever their current equivalent is.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: buntyman on January 16, 2024, 02:56:40 AMDoes anyone still play Binding of Isaac?

Yep it's the only game I pick up every now again now its just an easy hour of fun then back t'mill. 

Never really given the storyline or theme any thought I just like the synergies with the items and the difficulty of it all - can see that it probably would be popular with n'er do well though.

Mr Vegetables

I sometimes wonder if this would have been the most popular game of all time if it had basically any other theme at all

oggyraiding

I think it wouldn't work with another theme with some of the items, they'd be hard to explain the effects in say, a modern military theme or a mecha theme or being a wizard.

Though any of those would have been preferable to miscarriages and tumours.

madhair60

I'm fully addicted to this masterpiece again on Switch

Obel

I am 70 achievements away from 100%ing BOI and to be honest I'm addicted to such a mentally ill degree that I'm looking forward to drawing a line under it so I can move on with my life.

madhair60

playing on both Switch and PC now

just beat Ultra Greed with Bethany, Ultra Greedier next. I didn't really rate Greed Mode before but I'm having a lot of fun with it now, simplicity works and it's quite easy to become comically powerful.

I will say that I think Ultra Greed scaling to your power level is a bit shit and the opposite of what Isaac should be; if I've earned the power to steamroll the cunt it should just let me.