Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxide Ghosts - UK screenings

Started by AzureSky, August 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

I went to this on Sunday and first will echo all the positive comments, so glad I got to see it. I gather this one was slightly different as the second portion consisted of three short compilations of 1) Michael Cummings other works generally, 2) Snuff Box and 3) Toast of London, although none of this was unseen or new. The host kept the conversation interesting enough but due to another scheduled screening there was only time for 4 very short questions at the end which was a bit of a shame. Anyway I thought I'd get some of my memories down as there was some interesting snippets of info that may not have been noted before.

Apparently Chris Morris' son has attended one of the screenings. He told Michael that his first introduction to Brass Eye was aged 15 when some of his school friends were watching some Youtube clips, and he realised it was his father in them.

Since screenings began Chris Morris has handed Michael a few more video tapes, although he didn't allude as to their contents. But I'm sure there was a suggestion that there could be an extended Oxide Ghosts in the future.

It was weird to hear a few occasions where the discussion included incredibly minor details that I would have missed if it weren't for specific posts on this forum. One of these was the Stereo being twirled off screen during the David Amess 'cake music' bit. That was of course Chris Morris himself.

Quote from: Solid Jim on November 26, 2017, 03:13:53 PM
Has anyone asked about the Nigel Evans story as sent in to SOTCAA? I'd always assumed it was apocryphal, but it's repeated in Disgusting Bliss with additional details. Then again, Michael Cumming has said in Q&As that the only celebrity to suspect something amiss was Toyal Wilcox.

I was gearing up ready to ask this and, second question in, got beaten to it (hello?). And it turns out that, yes, it happened. Nigel Evans noticed upon touching his face and inspecting his fingers and then 'stormed off', although the Q&A was a hurried affair and there was no further expansion.

The final question was asked and followed with '...and what are your thoughts on modern comedy such as Fleabag'. MC said he would just answer the first question in a tone of voice that was partly acknowledging the time constraint, and partly suggesting that he had very little positive to say about modern comedy such as Fleabag. But he did again big up the Eric Andre show. The host wrapped things up there but I stayed to the end to ask him if he'd watched Nathan For You, and recommended it to him when he hadn't.

In terms of the show itself I remember quite a lot but don't want to give too many spoilers. One of the most shocking clips was the interrogation of the actual young child in the 'sex' audience, about whether the sight of her parents being killed during sex will have lasting psychological effects. 'And I'm afraid that girl will be subjected to further emotional trauma throughout the show...', or something like that. Michael Winner's 'Shop your local weirdo'. I also loved 'Lady Parliament', especially Chris' face as it developed and the inevitable punch line, at which I possibly laughed a little too loud. And did myself no favours at the similar joke later on where Michael Redmond's priest discredits the idea of the Virgin Mary miracle, as God would have sent a male figure to drive a car. Of course the extended drug deal segment was great, but the abandoned follow-up idea for a week later where Chris would return in period costume in a horse drawn carriage to ask for opium would have been amazing.

I might post some more thoughts if they come back to me.

Captain Z

P.s. Michael spoke a little bit about the documentary he is filming with Stewart Lee. Apparently what started mainly as a look at The Nightingales and post-punk in Birmingham has gradually turned into a search for the giant gorilla statue from Birmingham City centre and reminisce of Stew's childhood, and should be entertaining even if you know nothing about the musical aspects.

Solid Jim

Quote from: Captain Z on May 15, 2019, 12:19:28 AM
I was gearing up ready to ask this and, second question in, got beaten to it (hello?).

Hello. If I'd realised, perhaps I'd have asked something else.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 16, 2019, 07:16:19 PM
Come over in June and you could get to watch the film and then see Stewart Lee do a work in progress show: https://earthackney.co.uk/calendar/stewart-lee-oxide-ghosts

Second date added 16th September!

DJ Solid Snail

Anyone else going up for the London September gig?

poteugenia

EBGB

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on June 07, 2019, 05:54:16 PM
Anyone else going up for the London September gig?
For the 16th, yes. 

benjula

Looking for 2 spare tickets for this tomorrow if any of you CABers are gonna be there?

Leee

I hosted a screening of this in Colchester back in 2017. Really interesting stuff, and obviously very funny. 'Lady Parliament' was an absolute highlight. During the Q&A I asked Michael about the "pink cake"/"David Jatt on the South Bank" clip from the title sequence, but I don't think he had a particularly satisfactory answer to it. He seemed pleased to be asked though. If anyone was there and took any photos or better yet, bootlegged the thing, do let me know. x

Ferris

I'd love to buy a copy of this and line CM's pockets if that was an option

Clownbaby

A one-off live stream of this during the whole s i t u a t i o n would be sweet

the

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 13, 2020, 10:07:12 PMI'd love to buy a copy of this and line CM's pockets if that was an option

The message when you go to see this is that it will never be officially released outside of the screenings.

My memory of the contents of OG is fading now, but while watching it I do remember thinking that a few bits would probably lead to one of those tedious insincere Twitter furores if it was being distributed freely as a product anyway.

That said, I would love to see it again as it was so funny and fascinating.

Ferris

I figured, but it would be great for those of us who geographically indisposed to see it. Such is life, I suppose.

I doubt twitter would create a furore over a 25yr old program, but then again it is twitter so who knows

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 13, 2020, 10:23:00 PM
A one-off live stream of this during the whole s i t u a t i o n would be sweet

YES

v00n

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 13, 2020, 10:07:12 PM
I'd love to buy a copy of this and line CM's pockets if that was an option

NO FUCKING WAY

This thing will never be released on the internet and available to everyone who wants to see it because the "creator" makes money from BUMS ON SEATS.

"Yeah, but legal this, legal that, comewhat tantamount copyright theft"

Nice of Morris to buy into this elitist bullshit. I forgot, he's a Hollywood director now.

mrfridge

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I suppose I understand that point being made there.

13 schoolyards

Usually how this "bums on seats" thing works is that first you get all the money you can from getting bums on seats, and once that dries up you look for another market. Hit stage musicals don't get made into movies (or filmed for some kind of home release) until after all the money from the live show's been made, because once you release something in a recorded format that's pretty much it - everyone who wants to see it can see it at home for less than a night out.

So you'd think, if the only reason why Oxide Ghosts isn't being released is because they're raking it in from the live shows, that once the live shows finish they'll move onto some kind of streaming / DVD release. Let the waiting game begin.

EBGB

From https://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2017/05/10/36459/oxide_ghosts:_the_brass_eye_tapes

Quoteit can't ever be released commercially, for a whole tangle of rights and legal reasons

I made it to a showing last year, which was on as part of a fundraiser for which I paid £27.50, and that included upwards of an hour of Stewart Lee.  AFAIK, it was the second showing in London in 2019.  I think it'd have to be on rather a lot more often, at a significantly higher price, for anyone to be coining it in.

Quote from: v00n on April 16, 2020, 11:18:21 PM
Nice of Morris to buy into this elitist bullshit. I forgot, he's a Hollywood director now.

A question.  If Morris was interested in "this elitist bullshit" / making a boatload of cash, would he really leave it SO long between projects?

the

Just to clear up some tinpot entitled lunacy

1)  Morris isn't behind Oxide Ghosts, Michael Cumming is. Morris only gave it his blessing
2)  Oxide Ghosts isn't intended to be a film in its own right, Michael Cumming appears to talk about its background and does a Q&A
     (Cumming also makes the point that he wants seeing it to be a transient personal memory rather than something that sits on the internet forever)
3)  It would require a big, expensive and difficult legal effort to clear everything in it for general release
4)  Are you really suggesting that Oxide Ghosts is some massive money spinner, given that it's appeared at a handful of indie cinemas.

Anyway, I'd be quite surprised if a copy didn't fall into somebody's hands at some point in the future.

the

Quote from: https://www.shots.net/news/view/michael-cumming-notes-from-shatners-bassoon"I could have probably cut an entire 60 minute weasel fighter special with all the material from that."