Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where have all the cunts gone?

Started by Viero_Berlotti, September 07, 2017, 11:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

I was reading something the other day about what a cunt Ian Dury could be and it struck me that the predominant and defining (male) pop/rock archetype of 2017 was the 'everyman' type. You know the Guy Garveys, the Ed Sheerans, the Jon Grants, the James Murphys the nice guys you can take home to your mum. But what about the cunts, the Lou Reeds? Why don't they seem to get a look in anymore? (All probably in prison for sex offences).

EDIT: this should be in Oscillations, what a cunt I am...

Dr Rock

That bloke from the Arctic Monkeys and Pete Doherty are cunts, though possibly cunts whose careers are nearly over.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 07, 2017, 11:43:44 AM
That bloke from the Arctic Monkeys and Pete Doherty are cunts, though possibly cunts whose careers are nearly over.

Indeed...

Viero_Berlotti

Pete Doherty is a knob, but he's nowhere near peak level 1970's cuntiness. It's probably for the best that these nasty fuckers seemed to have died out. They may have made great music, but I wouldn't want to have to be the person that has to deal with them personally or professionally in any way.

Dr Rock

He had someine thtown out a window to their death.

Icehaven

Serge

Hasn't Father John Misty got something of a reputation for being a cunt? Ariel Pink, too.

Phil_A

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 07, 2017, 11:37:04 AM
I was reading something the other day about what a cunt Ian Dury could be and it struck me that the predominant and defining (male) pop/rock archetype of 2017 was the 'everyman' type. You know the Guy Garveys, the Ed Sheerans, the Jon Grants, the James Murphys the nice guys you can take home to your mum. But what about the cunts, the Lou Reeds? Why don't they seem to get a look in anymore? (All probably in prison for sex offences).

EDIT: this should be in Oscillations, what a cunt I am...

Grant was pretty cunty in his "lost years" before he got himself clean, although there were underlying reasons for that.

I don't believe Sheeran's smiley niceboy persona for a second, he is definitely a cunt.

Other confirmed cunts:

Kings of Leon, notorious bunch of cunts.

Alison Goldfrapp, there are numerous stories of how unpleasant, rude and demanding she can be to be people who have to work with her.

Quote from: Serge on September 07, 2017, 01:31:20 PM
Hasn't Father John Misty got something of a reputation for being a cunt? Ariel Pink, too.

He did do a spectacularly awkward interview with Radcliffe & Maconie not so long ago, one of those ones where you could tell from the second he opened his mouth it was not going to go well.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 07, 2017, 12:57:54 PM
He had someine thtown out a window to their death.
OK I'll give you Doherty, because he burgled his best mates house as well if I remember.

Neville Chamberlain

Chris Martin has been known to chuck Kit Kat wrappers out of hotel windows.

alan nagsworth

Johnny Depp counts as a musician doesn't he? There you go. Biggest cunt in the world.

Brundle-Fly

I met Ian Dury a few times and he was always very chatty and pleasant. He cleaned up his act by then and was on his uppers, so was nicer to his fans. Same with Paul Weller, as soon as he stopped the heavy drinking and drugs, he stopped being a miserable cunt.

You don't do well in the States if you behave badly. The model has been like this for years.

[Tag]Ray Davies considers rewrite[/Tag]

Serge

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 07, 2017, 03:58:03 PMI met Ian Dury a few times and he was always very chatty and pleasant. He cleaned up his act by then and was on his uppers, so was nicer to his fans. Same with Paul Weller, as soon as he stopped the heavy drinking and drugs, he stopped being a miserable cunt.

Yeah, I was disappointed by the fact that Peter Hook and Luke Haines were both perfectly pleasant when I met them, and didn't attempt to hit me, insult me or sneer at me once.

Petey Pate

Both James Brown and Captain Beefheart were authoritarian arseholes who treated their band members poorly yet it was their tyrannical controlling nature which resulted in some of the greatest music ever recorded.

While I'm here I may as well share this funny story about Beefheart, courtesy of the Magic Band's drummer John 'Drumbo' French.

QuoteVan Vliet would often rant against the "establishment" during the spawning of Trout Mask Replica. He had a lot of rage against things that made sense to me -- environmental issues, animal rights, corruption, etc. But, he also would basically rant against older people, which made no sense to me, as generally people who contribute good to the world do so when they're young and also when they're older. One of the catch phrases of the day was "Don't trust anyone over thirty!" -- which I found to be a little puzzling, as he was approaching that age himself @ 28 years of age in 1969. I left the band and then came back in the Spring of 1970 (having been gone about a year) and after recording "Lick my Decals Off, Baby" we wound up doing a promotional tour in the States. Warner Brothers associates showed up at our hotel on Don's birthday in January 1971 -- his thirtieth birthday. A cake was rolled in on a room service cart which read, "Happy Birthday Captain Beefheart, Don't trust Anyone over Thirty." This did NOT go over well with Don, who also heard the muffled chuckles of all as they read the message and recalled the number of times they had heard him say this. We left for the show afterwards. Later that night, I went to get ice and saw the cake sitting on the floor outside his room, stomped to oblivion, making a giant mess on the carpet. I stared at the telltale icing footprints leading back into his room and had a little giggle. Judging from the high value Don put upon his shoes, it was obvious that his hatred of that well-deserved prank had stirred up quite a volatile rage within.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Serge on September 07, 2017, 04:19:31 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed by the fact that Peter Hook and Luke Haines were both perfectly pleasant when I met them, and didn't attempt to hit me, insult me or sneer at me once.

Richard Herring said he once held a door open for Sex Pistols drummer, Paul Cook. Cook had the temerity to politely whisper thank you rather than spit in Herring's face.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phil_A on September 07, 2017, 01:34:51 PM
He did do a spectacularly awkward interview with Radcliffe & Maconie not so long ago, one of those ones where you could tell from the second he opened his mouth it was not going to go well.

It's not that awkward, he just comes across as a self-consciously wry, ironic, hipster twit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

I love the fact that Radcliffe and Maconie - quite rightly - aren't amused by him in the slightest. They've interviewed thousands of boring musicians between them, this idiot is just one of many.

Maconie gets pissed off towards the end, and I don't blame him. I've interviewed guys like this - you basically just want to say, "Whatever, mate, I personally couldn't give a toss. I'm just doing this to pay the bills."

ArtParrott

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 07, 2017, 05:20:43 PM
It's not that awkward, he just comes across as a self-consciously wry, ironic, hipster twit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

I love the fact that Radcliffe and Maconie - quite rightly - aren't amused by him in the slightest. They've interviewed thousands of boring musicians between them, this idiot is just one of many.

Maconie gets pissed off towards the end, and I don't blame him. I've interviewed guys like this - you basically just want to say, "Whatever, mate, I personally couldn't give a toss. I'm just doing this to pay the bills."

FJM has spoken about that, I don't know if this is satisfactory (I've not heard the i/v in question)

"Sometimes I just suck," he says, sighing. "The truth of the matter is it has not been a good year. I have substance-abuse problems. That morning, I was completely fucked up. This was Fear and Loathing level. I've got these lizard men with English accents doing this Laurel-and-Hardy act on me and I just couldn't deal with it. It's not as if those guys were so horrible. It's me. It's my fault."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/father-john-misty-josh-tillman-pure-comedy-interview

Twit 2

I met FJM when he was JT and he was really nice. Funny and laid back, I'd say. A one off, a while ago, obviously.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ArtParrott on September 07, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
FJM has spoken about that, I don't know if this is satisfactory (I've not heard the i/v in question)

"Sometimes I just suck," he says, sighing. "The truth of the matter is it has not been a good year. I have substance-abuse problems. That morning, I was completely fucked up. This was Fear and Loathing level. I've got these lizard men with English accents doing this Laurel-and-Hardy act on me and I just couldn't deal with it. It's not as if those guys were so horrible. It's me. It's my fault."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/father-john-misty-josh-tillman-pure-comedy-interview

Ha! Lizard men with English accents.It's not like they're going to have Zimbabwean accents on a UK radio show. Very honest. I like him again now.

the science eel

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 07, 2017, 04:32:40 PM
Both James Brown and Captain Beefheart were authoritarian arseholes who treated their band members poorly yet it was their tyrannical controlling nature which resulted in some of the greatest music ever recorded.

While I'm here I may as well share this funny story about Beefheart, courtesy of the Magic Band's drummer John 'Drumbo' French.

Oh - I thought it was going to be that 'play a strawberry' story, which is one of the funniest things I've ever heard (I'll see if I can find it)

PaulTMA

I held a door open for Towers Of London once and they said thank you, so they are definitely out.  Badly Drawn Boy seems to quite shamelessly be a cunt, although both he and noted cunt Finley Quaye are from Generation Ages Ago. 

Father John Misty certainly does smack as being one big egotistical bellend, so I wasn't surprised to hear him have some sort of beef with bellend of yesteryear, Ryan Adams, who I believe is reckoned to be a tosser even by his hardcore fans.  Usually anyone being on the wrong side of Adams is enough to make you want to take their side in the matter, but FJM's current status as a sort of easy-to-swallow Scott Walker/Nick Cave-like figure for Elbow fans makes me kinda not want to

Red Lantern

Mark E Smith is still with us, just about.

Enzo

Damon Albarn is a relentless cunt. I say that as a Blur fan.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh, that's rather lovely. I take it all back.

Viero_Berlotti

From the FJM wiki page:
QuoteTillman suffers from severe depression and anxiety, and currently self-medicates with micro-doses of LSD.

Quote from: Red Lantern on September 07, 2017, 06:47:15 PM
Mark E Smith is still with us, just about.

I've met him twice. First time he was sober, chatty, funny and affable. Second time he was drunk and a complete twat.

doppelkorn

When I did student radio, we had the Metros in, some of whom became the Fat White Family. Cunts.

hewantstolurkatad

There is Kanye, who isn't half the asshole a lot of those 60s and 70s guys were but in a world where being a Dave Grohl/Ed Sheeran nice guy is a key marketability factor, he stands out a lot.
..and Chris Brown still having a career is a testament to the ability of people to turn a blind eye for no good reason at all.

A lot of it is probably that it just requires a lot more discipline to be good at certain genres nowadays. Like, in the 70s raw talent alone could take you very far with a few chords. To not sound like a forgettable throwback nowadays you nearly need to either be a good collaborator or willing to embrace a variety of instruments and technologies.

Father John Misty is probably okay enough of a guy, he's just too vocal and it's weird for such a bland guy/musician to be so opinionated. I'd probably be like him if I was a musician, and I'd probably have huge issues with people liking me for it too.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Nowadays, thanks to smartphones and the internet, we can see the full range of cuntiness that our celebrities and politicians get up to when the little people aren't around to witness them. We are doing our best to prosecute all the past nasty behaviour committed by anyone still alive to be pursued for stuff they didn't give any thought to at the time.

We probably have the best-behaved celebs and pols in history as a result, but the tiny bit of bad behaviour they still indulge in gets more attention than all the secret sex gangs and crooked financial deals that went on prior to 1970.