Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:29:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Heads up that there's a mad Love and Rockets sale on Comixology at the moment. Some at 1.59, some at 0.79!

samadriel

Bargain, thanks Custard.  I think I now have most of L&R for 22 bucks, loooking forward to giving it a go.

Dayraven

If you haven't read it before, there's a big gear-change between the first few issues and most of the rest, especially for Jaime's stories — they start out with pulp pastiche before settling into stories mostly without fantastic elements, despite involving some of the same characters. Jaime seems to have realised he could get more out of a story about trying to buy a new pair of shoes than one about finding dinosaurs.

(Gilbert's work follows a similar arc, but he found his groove more quickly when he started his Palomar stories.)

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Custard on December 18, 2021, 12:08:22 AMHeads up that there's a mad Love and Rockets sale on Comixology at the moment. Some at 1.59, some at 0.79!
Ta for the heads up.
I started The Girl From H.O.P.P.E.R.S a while back, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
However, I've just bought Maggie The Mechanic & Heartbreak Soup.
79p each. Got to be worth another try.

EDIT : And Amor Y Cohetes!

Artie Fufkin

Just finished volume 2 (The Doll's House) of Sandman.
Really good. Stuffed full of great ideas.
Loved the
Spoiler alert
serial killer convention
[close]
issue. Great stuff.
Reading a book now before getting on with volume 3.

Custard

I've found Love and Rockets is best read in short bursts. I think reading lots of it back to back would start to grate a bit. Plus I deffo think you need to be in the right mood for its kind of quirkiness and humour. I am enjoying it though

Been greatly enjoying Mark Waid's run on Black Widow. It's very cinematic and simple and easy to follow, as it concentrates on BW, and her kicking people's heads in, rather than any other Avengers or outside bollocks. Wish the film had been a bit more like it

Alberon

Me read Hulk. Hulk good. Not as good as old Hulk. Hulk smash.

samadriel

Immortal Hulk, Alberon? I'm a little behind on that, but I love what I've seen so far.

Artie Fufkin

Just read issue 22 of Immortal Hulk. Really really good. Love where he's (Ewing) taking it. Very old school horror feel to it. Nice.

Mister Six

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 21, 2021, 11:48:29 AMJust finished volume 2 (The Doll's House) of Sandman.
Really good. Stuffed full of great ideas.
Loved the
Spoiler alert
serial killer convention
[close]
issue. Great stuff.
Reading a book now before getting on with volume 3.

Also a neat crossover with Hellblazer - people keep asking when The Family Man is going to turn up. But he's not, because in the concurrently released issues of Hellblazer he'd been killed by John Constantine (who had tracked him down, in part, by finding the Family Man's invitation to the convention).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 21, 2021, 03:31:42 PMJust read issue 22 of Immortal Hulk. Really really good. Love where he's (Ewing) taking it. Very old school horror feel to it. Nice.

I'm very fond of that too, I can't remember what issue I'm up to as I decided to wait until I had a good six plus issues to read in one go and then forgot to do so, but I really should spend an evening catching up on it soon.

Mister Six

I've only heard good things about Immortal Hulk. I reckon I'll start picking up the trades from the library in the new year.

Alberon

It was good, though I probably lost track a bit the last few issues as I was reading them one a month. Should go back at some point. I've got the Peter David run on the title from years back in a box somewhere.

They've kicked off the new run with the interestingly batty idea of Banner piloting the Hulk's body like a spaceship. The first two issues have felt like the page count is way down, though. Or maybe just not enough story per issue? I dunno.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on December 21, 2021, 05:57:01 PMAlso a neat crossover with Hellblazer - people keep asking when The Family Man is going to turn up. But he's not, because in the concurrently released issues of Hellblazer he'd been killed by John Constantine (who had tracked him down, in part, by finding the Family Man's invitation to the convention).
Oh, that's so cool. Love those kind of things.

Dayraven

QuoteOh, that's so cool. Love those kind of things.
Another underplayed connection in The Doll's House — Matthew the Raven is a reborn version of Swamp Thing's Matt Cable.

Custard

Finished both volumes of Sink, after someone recommended it on here ages back. Sorry, can't remember who it was!

What a nasty, bleak comic that was. Great though.

The first issue with the poor sod trying to get home in the middle of the night through rough as fuck estates was one of the most brutal things I've ever read. Lovely stuff

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Dayraven on December 22, 2021, 10:09:50 AMAnother underplayed connection in The Doll's House — Matthew the Raven is a reborn version of Swamp Thing's Matt Cable.
Still need to read Swamp Thing. Getting to that after Sandman.

Mister Six

Quote from: Custard on December 22, 2021, 12:46:25 PMFinished both volumes of Sink, after someone recommended it on here ages back. Sorry, can't remember who it was!

What a nasty, bleak comic that was. Great though.

The first issue with the poor sod trying to get home in the middle of the night through rough as fuck estates was one of the most brutal things I've ever read. Lovely stuff

That was me recommending it, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's on a bit of a hiatus at the minute, but the creative team is getting attention on other things, so hopefully when it comes back it'll get a well-deserved boost in profile.

By the way, did you notice the Videogaiden reference in there?

Spoiler alert
Florence's dead name is Rab. Rab Florence, see? Made me chuckle, at least, and I wonder if Rab's familiar with the comic at all.
[close]

Custard

Ah, it was you! Thanks! I don't think it'll be leaving my mind any time soon. In a good, but disturbing way!

Didn't pick up on the Rab Florence nod, that's great

Mister Six

Disturbing for sure, but in a very human way. Reminds me of Stephen King in the way that the horror isn't just gross stuff happening, but rooted in the knowledge that the gross stuff happening to a living, feeling human being is actually a horrible tragedy.

Artie Fufkin

Just finished vol 3 of Sandman. Disappointing, to say the least. Hopefully he's just taking a breath. 4 one off stories. None of them interested me. The cat one was ok, I guess.
Mweh.

Mister Six

IIRC, the trades mix up the order a bit, and the single-issue stories appeared between longer arcs rather than consecutively. I can see them working better as a bit of a montal sorbet among your monthly. Comic haul rather than the main event of an entire volume.

Hm, I really ought to reread The Sandman this year.

Dayraven

QuoteIIRC, the trades mix up the order a bit, and the single-issue stories appeared between longer arcs rather than consecutively.
A later collection (Fables and Reflections) put single issues from a few different places in the series together, but the third one is consecutive issues.

Mister Six

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on January 06, 2022, 07:20:14 PMI can see them working better as a bit of a montal sorbet among your monthly. Comic haul rather than the main event of an entire volume.
I wondered if this was the case. One of these issues every now and again would have been fine. All at once was a slight slog.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm reading Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man after finding the first volume in a charity shop. I'd read about half of it before online but somehow didn't finish it, but after reading the first four issues in the trade paperback I've bought the other four volumes as I absolutely loved it. I've always been a fan of the character and love Grant Morrison's run, but I'm starting to wonder if this will be even better, the storyline's captivating and the art is frequently breath-taking, grotesque and strange and weird in all of the best kind of ways, and I can't wait for the other volumes to arrive now.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 07, 2022, 12:05:25 PMI'm reading Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man after finding the first volume in a charity shop. I'd read about half of it before online but somehow didn't finish it, but after reading the first four issues in the trade paperback I've bought the other four volumes as I absolutely loved it. I've always been a fan of the character and love Grant Morrison's run, but I'm starting to wonder if this will be even better, the storyline's captivating and the art is frequently breath-taking, grotesque and strange and weird in all of the best kind of ways, and I can't wait for the other volumes to arrive now.
Dammit! More expense.....

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on January 07, 2022, 12:45:27 PMDammit! More expense.....

Heh, well maybe it might be worth waiting until I finish it, it might go downhill fast or have a terrible ending!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 07, 2022, 12:57:54 PMHeh, well maybe it might be worth waiting until I finish it, it might go downhill fast or have a terrible ending!
[/quote author=Small Man Big Horse link=msg=4804011 date=1641560274]
*thumb* Well, I've got plenty of alternatives to keep me going, ta....

EDIT : Not sure what the FUCK I've done here.....