Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on April 01, 2022, 02:10:18 AMYour hat will never be the same after noticing the similarity to this: https://youtu.be/HA4-4ifhixg?t=45

What a rip! Even the little staggered riff ending.

Sherman Krank

Just read that the half naked couple getting stuck into each other in a bathtub on the cover of the 1975 UFO album Force it are Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti.

Bently Sheds

According to Wikipedia, Robert Palmer plays percussion on Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads.

popcorn

Quote from: Bently Sheds on April 11, 2022, 11:37:39 PMAccording to Wikipedia, Robert Palmer plays percussion on Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads.

Not quite. Wikipedia says he was present for early jams when they were writing material including Once in a Lifetime. Palmer isn't credited on the final song, I don't think he was recorded for it.

popcorn

Song to the Siren by Bryan Ferry apparently features Nile Rodgers, David Gilmour and Jonny Greenwood on guitar ???

jamiefairlie

Quote from: popcorn on April 17, 2022, 10:58:23 PMSong to the Siren by Bryan Ferry apparently features Nile Rodgers, David Gilmour and Jonny Greenwood on guitar ???

That sounds like a Brian Pern scenario.

Jockice

Quote from: Sherman Krank on April 11, 2022, 10:13:57 PMJust read that the half naked couple getting stuck into each other in a bathtub on the cover of the 1975 UFO album Force it are Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti.

Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson made the video for Fairground Attraction's Perfect. This was mentioned on a Channel 5 series on the greatest videos of the 80s. The programme mentioned that he'd previously done an advert for British Airways and nothing whatsoever about his Throbbing Gristle membership or any other facet of his career(s).

PeterCornelius

Apologies if this has already been posted, I'm still trying to get to grips with searching threads etc

From Wikipedia (edited to remove citations):

In addition to a searing guitar solo, played by Hugh Burns, Baker Street featured a prominent eight-bar saxophone riff played as a break between verses, by Raphael Ravenscroft. Rafferty claimed that he wrote the hook with the original intention that it be sung. Ravenscroft remembered things differently, saying that he was presented with a song that contained "several gaps". "In fact, most of what I played was an old blues riff," stated Ravenscroft. "If you're asking me: 'Did Gerry hand me a piece of music to play?' then no, he didn't."

However, the 2011 reissue of City to City included the demo of 'Baker Street' with the saxophone part played on electric guitar by Rafferty.

(Nice try, Raphael)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on April 18, 2022, 07:27:19 AMPeter 'Sleazy' Christopherson made the video for Fairground Attraction's Perfect. This was mentioned on a Channel 5 series on the greatest videos of the 80s. The programme mentioned that he'd previously done an advert for British Airways and nothing whatsoever about his Throbbing Gristle membership or any other facet of his career(s).

That reminds me when Chris Watson is mentioned in some Radio 4 nature documentary. I always shout 'mention Cabaret Voltaire ya nature loving bastards' but they never do.

Jockice

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 18, 2022, 03:57:42 PMThat reminds me when Chris Watson is mentioned in some Radio 4 nature documentary. I always shout 'mention Cabaret Voltaire ya nature loving bastards' but they never do.

Literally five seconds before I read this post his name flashed up on my screen again. I never got round to watching the whole of that programme so am doing so now. He did the vid for Erasure's A Little Respect too. I have a feeling Vince and Andy might have known a bit more about his other work than Eddi and Mark though.

Kankurette

Tool's Lateralus, as in the song, is patterned after the Fibonacci sequence. This is possibly the most Tool thing they have ever done, at least until Maynard drowns a fan in a butt of his wine for using their phone during a gig.

magister

Hans Zimmer wrote and played keyboards on Doctor in Distress, a charity single protesting season 23 of Doctor Who being postponed by 6 months. Its shit. Really shit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ege9lQecazo

kalowski

Not so much a "fuck my hat" but I have just discovered that after years in the doldrums Frankie Lymon was signing Tia new record contract and had a recording session booked for 28 Feb 1968. On 27 Feb he decided to celebrate with a hit of heroin, something he'd not touched for a couple of year and died of an overdose.

NoSleep

Quote from: PeterCornelius on April 18, 2022, 11:21:44 AMHowever, the 2011 reissue of City to City included the demo of 'Baker Street' with the saxophone part played on electric guitar by Rafferty.

(Nice try, Raphael)

Although the demo, that had never seen the light of day for all those years, could have had that guitar subsequently added in the "several gaps". Can we put it past Gerry Rafferty to attempt such a move, given the dispute?

SteveDave

Quote from: kalowski on May 21, 2022, 11:51:36 AMNot so much a "fuck my hat" but I have just discovered that after years in the doldrums Frankie Lymon was signing Tia new record contract and had a recording session booked for 28 Feb 1968. On 27 Feb he decided to celebrate with a hit of heroin, something he'd not touched for a couple of year and died of an overdose.

Have you been listening to the "The History Of Rock Music In 500 Songs" podcast? I listened to the episode about "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" yesterday and the sentence Andrew Hickey says about him dying is heartbreaking

QuoteFrankie Lymon died, aged just 25 and a has-been for almost half of his life, of a heroin overdose in 1968

phantom_power

Not so much a FMH but "why didn't I notice that before" but I didn't realise until the other day that Jim O'Rourke named three of his albums after Nic Roeg films

pigamus

Debbie Harry's really called Angela Trimble

This has delighted me for some reason

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on May 23, 2022, 11:36:01 AMHave you been listening to the "The History Of Rock Music In 500 Songs" podcast? I listened to the episode about "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" yesterday and the sentence Andrew Hickey says about him dying is heartbreaking

No. I don't know what reminded me of him but I looked him up and read it.

George White

Cleo Laine was an extra in the 1940 Thief of Bagdad.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on May 23, 2022, 11:43:53 AMDebbie Harry's really called Angela Trimble

That such a junior Tory minister for health name

famethrowa

Quote from: pigamus on May 23, 2022, 11:43:53 AMDebbie Harry's really called Angela Trimble

Much like funky soulster Me'shell Ndegeocello having the real name of Michelle Lynn Johnson. Sounds like someone out of an Elvis movie

buzby

Quote from: NoSleep on May 23, 2022, 07:57:41 AMAlthough the demo, that had never seen the light of day for all those years, could have had that guitar subsequently added in the "several gaps". Can we put it past Gerry Rafferty to attempt such a move, given the dispute?
The demo (alongside the demos for other tracks on the album) was only released on the bonus disc of the remastered version of City To City in July 2011, 6 months after Rafferty's death. Given his desire to avoid publicity and level of control over his released output, I suspect the demos would never have been released while he was alive.

Ravenscroft made the claims in a segment about the song on The One Show in 2010. Rafferty had long been an alcoholic by then and hadn't recorded any new material since 2000, and given he drank himself to death less than a year later I can't see him going back to rerecord a demo that would never be released just to get one over on Ravenscroft.

Hugh Burns, who played the quitar solo, also confirmed that the sax line already existed as a guitar part played by Rafferty when he did his session. Rafferty asked him to have a go at it, but they decided it would sound better played on a sax.

Can we put it past Gerry Rafferty to have faked alcohol dependence and his own death, given the dispute?

NoSleep

famethrowa

I think he faked everything. The song, the sax, the career, everything.

Artie Fufkin

I'd make her trimble*. Y'know what I mean, lads? Eh? Do ya? Eh?

*I wouldn't. I'd probably start crying and shit my pants if she were to talk to me.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: famethrowa on May 24, 2022, 02:09:10 PMI think he faked everything. The song, the sax, the career, everything.

He even faked Billy Connolly

pigamus

Quote from: famethrowa on May 24, 2022, 02:09:10 PMI think he faked everything. The song, the sax, the career, everything.

Bob Holness tried to take away everything he had, give the poor bastard a break

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on May 24, 2022, 07:04:45 PMBob Holness tried to take away everything he had, give the poor bastard a break

Faked Blockbusters too, done by the moon landing team

famethrowa

Since the dawn of time, I assumed "Bent Fabric" was the name of some group or band responsible for plinky-plonkfest Alley Cat. Turns out it's some bloke called Bent Fabricus. Sounds so made up