Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Those Sky Glass adverts with the kid who's Potter-obsessed? He looks at least 10 and needs serious help, not starring in a TV ad. "Hipster twat friend of me mum's from down the road", not "Wise wizard".

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 13, 2022, 05:17:26 PMIs that Numan blood test advert supposed to sound like it was made by vampires?

"Send. Us. Your. Blood."
Is that the one that's free if they don't find anything wrong with you? Which sounds an awful incentive to diagnose fake surgically inoperable brain tumours.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's the one. Blatantly trying to sucker in hypochondriacs.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 15, 2022, 10:33:06 AMIs that the one that's free if they don't find anything wrong with you? Which sounds an awful incentive to diagnose fake surgically inoperable brain tumours.

"Your results have come back and I'm sorry to say you've got the worst case of Madeupitis we've ever seen, we can fix it for you but it's gonna cost ya..."

Icehaven

Surely everyone except maybe a few Olympians have got something "wrong" with them, even if it's just that you could do with a bit more iron or that your spleen isn't functioning like it did when you were 18 anymore. By that logic everyone will have to pay, no one's results are going to come back that they're 100% healthy.

Fambo Number Mive

Got a marketing flyer through my door full of twee marketing speak, at the bottom it had "We'll drop by sometime". Yeah, how about never.

gilbertharding

Anyone noticed that advert for Sky Mobile? It's been around for a while, but for some reason it's back on heavy rotation again...

The actress Lily James is in some kind of park, twirling around and telling us all about how great Sky Mobile is while the camera follows her. And the way she keeps twirling around, and talking to us over her shoulder, completely unnecessarily, makes me (for one) think that she's trying to draw my attention to her bottom. Now if that is indeed what's going on, I have to say I've no particular objection to this (except I can't help thinking it probably wasn't her idea to do so). I can't help but notice it is a rather nice bottom. She's right to be proud of it. All I know is, it's not going to make me switch my mobile provider, unless you get into specifics.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PUxmC6wgs

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2022, 01:26:42 PMAnyone noticed that advert for Sky Mobile? It's been around for a while, but for some reason it's back on heavy rotation again...

The actress Lily James is in some kind of park, twirling around and telling us all about how great Sky Mobile is while the camera follows her. And the way she keeps twirling around, and talking to us over her shoulder, completely unnecessarily, makes me (for one) think that she's trying to draw my attention to her bottom. Now if that is indeed what's going on, I have to say I've no particular objection to this (except I can't help thinking it probably wasn't her idea to do so). I can't help but notice it is a rather nice bottom. She's right to be proud of it. All I know is, it's not going to make me switch my mobile provider, unless you get into specifics.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PUxmC6wgs
The Vodafone adverts also feature a woman dressed in red twirling around while things are CGed around her. I think for Sky she might technically be wearing orange but it's somewhat confusing, always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

It's not Kevin Bacon, that's for sure.

gilbertharding

What's the vodafone woman's bottom network coverage/standing charges like?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2022, 01:26:42 PMI can't help but notice it is a rather nice bottom. She's right to be proud of it. All I know is, it's not going to make me switch my mobile provider, unless you get into specifics.

Well for one thing the cleft is very well defined.

monkfromhavana

How these people view the workplace. There's one now with a woman saying how her boss was a bit stern, but they took her on a night out and she loosened up, then they got what they want....a corporate away day / team building!!!! YES! Just what everyone wants!

Icehaven

I've seen that advert a few times and still have no idea what it's for.

Fambo Number Mive

Just saw a Youtube ad for a substance that "claims to cure phimosis without circumcision". Made me think of this place.

Psybro

I'm getting non-stop ads for Qatar which make no mention of the upcoming World Cup, which either means the tourism agency of Qatar can't afford to name the tournament being held in their own country, or they're still a bit worried about it getting pulled.

Icehaven

Some of those glossy tourism ads for countries everyone knows have various combinations of shitty human rights records, draconian rule and vast inequality just seem like satire. "Visit UAE, because believe me you wouldn't want to live here!"

gilbertharding

Has anyone else noticed that the adverts for Werther's Originals, whilst still tenuously trading on nostalgia*, have now well and truly ditched the Stepford Grandpa  with the tiny kiddie on his knee trope, and now feature vital, thrusting, young people with full agency, enjoying Werther's Originals as part of an active lifestyle?

* I think the idea that Werther's Originals evoked any of the feelings their old adverts used to tap into was lost in translation. Surely here in the UK you couldn't even buy the bloody things until the mid 90s. If I had to conjure up the  sweetie my old Grandpa would have given me when I was a kid, it would be a Humbug or a Jelly Baby. It definitely wouldn't have been a German sweet, let's leave it at that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 24, 2022, 12:24:34 PMJust saw a Youtube ad for a substance that "claims to cure phimosis without circumcision". Made me think of this place.

You do know the ads on youtube are targeted, don't you?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 24, 2022, 02:08:22 PMYou do know the ads on youtube are targeted, don't you?
I did wonder why I got lots of ads for being extremely sexy and good with the lasses

gilbertharding

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 24, 2022, 02:11:56 PMI did wonder why I got lots of ads for being extremely sexy and good with the lasses

I wondered if you'd post the 'That's The Joke' meme, but fair play.

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 24, 2022, 02:01:57 PMWerther's Originals

https://www.werthers-original.co.uk/fileadmin/UK/tv-commercials/werthers-original-new-tvc.mp4

For me it's when I'm on tour with my favourite band

"da-da-da-da bah bah baaaaah"

Woah, I never thought I'd hear Cuntfucker and The Banshees on prime time!

jobotic

The advert that combined repressive regime with woman's bottom was the Visit Israel one that used to be on every ad break during the cycling on Eurosport four or five years ago.

it was distracting at first but I soon grew tired of the bottom of apartheid.

maett

Korean ad that pops up occasionally here, a Korean Anton Chigurh. Title is something about flavour of Bardem

Captain Z

I tell you which ad is really annoying me now, Virgin Media's "I can't believe we just landed a plane!". Hooking up a family home with banks of monitors and flashy control panels to imply they are somehow remotely controlling an airliner with the super-stable Internet connection, when in reality all they do is read out a few lines of air traffic control instructions, which would usually be done over a simple radio system.

Famous Mortimer

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Captain Z on April 07, 2022, 01:39:01 PMI tell you which ad is really annoying me now, Virgin Media's "I can't believe we just landed a plane!". Hooking up a family home with banks of monitors and flashy control panels to imply they are somehow remotely controlling an airliner with the super-stable Internet connection, when in reality all they do is read out a few lines of air traffic control instructions, which would usually be done over a simple radio system.

On that basis, an awful ad, since it's actually for EE.

gilbertharding

How much does it cost to advertise on TV at 8am?

ITV4 are running repeats of Robin of Sherwood with advertising breaks but NO ADVERTS (just the Trusted Trader sponsorship bumpers) - while over on The Drama Channel, they've cleared a 10 minute gap between Ever Decreasing Circles and Bergerac to run a continuous film apparently designed to hypnotise anyone watching into buying a Dormeo Octasmart Mattress Topper... The other morning, becoming bored with this, I flicked up a channel to Dave, where they were running the same advert.

Has anyone got one of those Mattress Toppers, by the way? Are they any good?

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 14, 2022, 10:54:21 AMHow much does it cost to advertise on TV at 8am?

ITV4 are running repeats of Robin of Sherwood with advertising breaks but NO ADVERTS (just the Trusted Trader sponsorship bumpers)

Similar thing used to (still might?) happen on Channel 4 when they were showing Cheers at about 6.30am, they'd just show one ad for a C4 programme.

seepage

So many ads now are for corporate or IT services instead of flogging washing powder. Do CEOs really make a note of  'AWS' while eating their tea in front of 'Sun, Sea & Selling Houses'?

Des Wigwam

The Galbani (mozarella brand) ad has circled back round for me. Annoys the piss out of me as it's a fairly anglo-friendly word to say not like (Dr.) Oetker, for example - and even then only if you're reading it. Apart from one Irish character who says Gelabni (and understandable pronunciation error just about) and is then corrected it makes almost no sense. And that character then just starts sticking sounds in randomly.