Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian & Roger

Started by SimonJT, November 08, 2018, 09:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonJT

Anyone listened to this? It's a new sitcom podcast fron Dan Skinner (Angelos Epithimiou) and Harry Peacock (Ray Purchase). It's a series of conversations between two quite pathetic men, via voicemails - it's a slow-burner, but their dynamic is excellent and it's escalating beautifully. The last few episodes in particlar have been magnificent: https://www.acast.com/brianandroger

Johnny Yesno

[tag]Ambient music fans leave thread disappointed[/tag]

jobotic

[tag]as do fans of Seth McFarlane's non-human sidekicks[tag]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

[tag]Queen fans face further disappointment[tag]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

[tag] Person hoping to find out about follow up single to " Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs " leaves thread disappointed [tag]

petril

[tag]Thank fuck it's not a Family Dad spinoff[/tag]

Cuellar

[tag]I'm enjoying this and think it's good[tag]not the tags the podcast[/tag][/tag]

I mean, thinking it through the conceit is a bit flimsy - would you really have a back-and-forth via voicemail? just text - but I like it.

Jittlebags

Series 2 Available. Darkly dark.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 27, 2019, 02:37:07 PM
Series 2 Available. Darkly dark.

The 'can i borrow your son and six of his friends' episode in particular.

momatt

Quote from: SimonJT on November 08, 2018, 09:54:32 AM
It's a new sitcom podcast fron Dan Skinner (Angelos Epithimiou) and Harry Peacock (Ray Purchase).

If this was a TV it'd be confusing as fuck for me, I thought this was the same bloke.

Joe Oakes

I'm scared. There's a red warning message telling me that this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days, unless it is absolutely medically necessary, please consider starting a new topic. Do I really want to do this shit? Does a bad thing happen?

Anyway, thought this was great. Yeah, the premise gets stretched if you're obsessed with ultra-realism, but it's a lot of fun. Refreshing to hear funny people doing comedy instead of people endlessly talking about comedy so they don't have to actually say anything funny.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 12, 2018, 05:25:23 AM
[tag]Ambient music fans leave thread disappointed[/tag]
Over two years ago but I did laugh at this so maybe it was worth the bump.

Captain Crunch

I would like to support this recommendation if I may.  I'm only on episode 3 but what a cracker of an episode, proper out-loud lol in the street.  Yeeeah, rat fans. 

It's pretty great and so short that it's easy to catch up on. I listened to a load on a long car journey and recall the Barrymore one being especially funny.

mr. logic

This is just honestly fantastic. All the episodes are brilliant, but one I've listened to again and again is the one with the balloon ride with the mad woman from South Africa.

Captain Crunch

The live show is incredible.  Go if you can:

Charlie Says...

Quote from: Captain Crunch on October 29, 2021, 08:07:30 PM
The live show is incredible.  Go if you can:

Charlie Says...

How come Harry Peacock's been replaced with someone else playing Brian in the live show, then?   Is he not well or something?

EDIT:  Oh, he IS ill.  I thought he sounded a bit rough on the most recent episodes but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a character thing.

ASFTSN

Been really enjoying having new episodes for this - respect to them including Covid-19 in the miserable squalid little world of Brian and Roger. And respect for the amount of times 'PPI with pictures of tits and dicks on it' was mentioned in the Matt Hancock episode.

I didn't know Harry Peacock was ill, anyone know what's up?

EDIT: Tell you what though, this has got to be some of the most mean-spirited comedy I enjoy. I get the same creeping feeling from it sometimes I do when watching exploitation horror films. There's some stuff in the most recent episode 'Duchess' about alcoholism that's pretty rough going!

Jittlebags

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 08, 2021, 04:37:55 PM
'PPI with pictures of tits and dicks on it'

Yes, I spluttured into my coffee when that came up. BRilliant stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

I went to see the live show yesterday due to Captain Crunch's recommendation and enjoyed it a lot, I went in all but cold (I'd just listened to 10 minutes of the first episode to get a vague gist of it) and so wasn't quite sure what to expect, and was initially quite surprised when it took an almost surreal, absurdist direction (what with Roger becoming involved with the psychic and having to pretend to be Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu) but the crazier it got the funnier I found it, and
Spoiler alert
the one scene when they actually meet had me laughing a huge amount, especially as I was in the front row and so was covered in "blood".
[close]
Dan Skinner was consistently great but I was really blown away by Simon Lipkin and thought it was one the best pieces of acting I've ever seen, making an abject cunt a sympathetic character at times, and my only very minor complaint
Spoiler alert
was that the China section might have gone on slightly too long
[close]
, but the ending was pretty perfect. 4.5/5

petril

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on October 29, 2021, 09:23:32 PM

that profile pic does make him look incredibly like James "Best of the Beatles" Lance

Captain Crunch

Bugger, false alarm //sadface

I do miss this, it's been over a year now //extrasadface 

mr. logic

This might be my favourite thing ever. I paid for the Pateron but the format is awful so I didn't hear those ones nearly as many times, and now the subscription seems to have expired. I'm happy to pay for comedy this good but they should work out a better way of doing it.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: mr. logic on January 15, 2023, 01:20:06 PMThis might be my favourite thing ever. I paid for the Pateron but the format is awful so I didn't hear those ones nearly as many times, and now the subscription seems to have expired. I'm happy to pay for comedy this good but they should work out a better way of doing it.

Were you using a podcast app, or the Patreon player?

I ended my Patreon subscription for a different podcast and still had access to all the old episodes via the app I use (Podcast Addict).

Unfortunately I can't say whether it would be the same for Brian & Roger, as I unsubscribed from it in the podcast app when the series ended.