News:

Welcome to the new look Cook'd and Bomb'd


You (Netflix Series)

Started by BritishHobo, January 07, 2019, 10:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

January 07, 2019, 10:19:12 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:11:10 PM by BritishHobo
New series with your pal Dan from Gossip Girl, where your pal Dan from Gossip Girl plays a stalker cultivating the perfect relationship with his target. I was pulled in by the trailer, because I was happy to see the creepy-maudlin-cover-of-a-famous-song trailer trope has finally reached Cheap Trick: https://youtu.be/cKOhno0IMpA

Anyway, it's from the producers of Riverdale, and obviously stars a Gossip Girl lead, so you'd expect it to be in that glossy, wanky vein, all beautiful-but-tortured rich teenagers (played by adults) having gorgeously-shot sex to deal with the demons inside, but I'm actually finding it much more straightforward and interesting than that. It doesn't dance around it's premise with mysterious antihero guff; the lead guy is unambiguously a weirdo pervert. They're not trying to pitch it as moodily romantic; the show knows he's creepy, and it wants you to as well. One really lovely early subversion has the girl masturbating in full view of the street, shot really sexily - he climbs through her window, and they immediately get to that steamy teen-drama sex, very hot - only to reveal that he's just lurking in a bush outside the window, wanking as he watches her.

They're not trying to be too arsey-clever with it, either. Watching the very basic way in which he constructs relationship in his head is more interesting for the fact that it is simple. He's not a brooding Chuck Bass-type, he's just  a nice-guy bloke who's stalking a girl and convincing himself it's okay.

I'm only on episode 2. Kinda hope it's just a standalone series that wraps up rather than going five seasons too far.

Travis B

I watched the final episode today. It was ok I thought, occasionally really interesting and sometimes really crass, but on the whole watchable.

There will be a second series.
https://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/netflix-you-release-date-cast-trailers-and-everything-we-know-so-far-2425999

BritishHobo


famethrowa

Ugh. I hate it, I hate it. Mrs FT has watched the whole thing so I've been taking notes. I can appreciate it's clever and well made, but ugh so hateful. Why is a slim fit guy with amazing cheekbones cast as the stalker mentalist? Shoulda been a chinless shut-in. Anyway the whole this is just icky and annoying, but go for it.

PlanktonSideburns

But handsome blokes can often be bellenda tho?

Not seen this, but sounds like my sort of thing. Not a river dale fan but those guys seem to making some fun interesting TV between this and sabrina

Bently Sheds

Main handsome cheekbones bloke is just a shit Dexter.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Wasn't Dexter already a shit Dexter in the last few series?

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 08, 2019, 08:16:42 AM
Not a river dale fan but those guys seem to making some fun interesting TV between this and sabrina
So what innocent bit of kids' entertainment is this a baffling remake of?

I don't know why I'm sticking my beak in here. I have no interest in watching the show.

monolith

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 07, 2019, 10:19:12 PM
New series with your pal Dan from Gossip Girl, where your pal Dan from Gossip Girl plays a stalker cultivating the perfect relationship with his target. I was pulled in by the trailer, because I was happy to see the creepy-maudlin-cover-of-a-famous-song trailer trope has finally reached Cheap Trick: https://youtu.be/cKOhno0IMpA

Anyway, it's from the producers of Riverdale, and obviously stars a Gossip Girl lead, so you'd expect it to be in that glossy, wanky vein, all beautiful-but-tortured rich teenagers (played by adults) having gorgeously-shot sex to deal with the demons inside, but I'm actually finding it much more straightforward and interesting than that. It doesn't dance around it's premise with mysterious antihero guff; the lead guy is unambiguously a weirdo pervert. They're not trying to pitch it as moodily romantic; the show knows he's creepy, and it wants you to as well. One really lovely early subversion has the girl masturbating in full view of the street, shot really sexily - he climbs through her window, and they immediately get to that steamy teen-drama sex, very hot - only to reveal that he's just lurking in a bush outside the window, wanking as he watches her.

They're not trying to be too arsey-clever with it, either. Watching the very basic way in which he constructs relationship in his head is more interesting for the fact that it is simple. He's not a brooding Chuck Bass-type, he's just  a nice-guy bloke who's stalking a girl and convincing himself it's okay.

I'm only on episode 2. Kinda hope it's just a standalone series that wraps up rather than going five seasons too far.
You had me at "girl masturbating in full view of the street".

Dex Sawash

Quote from: monolith on January 08, 2019, 01:58:09 PM
You had me at "girl masturbating in full view of the street".

I need to adjust my "maximum post length willing to read" upward a bit, it seems.

Dannyhood91

This is the most absolutely fine thing ever. It's the most average thing ever. McDonald's for the mind.

I have no strong feelings about this apart from the girl is not worth stalking.

I'd stalk a much better girl than that.

Shit stalker try harder next time.

hummingofevil

Quote from: famethrowa on January 08, 2019, 04:31:16 AM
Ugh. I hate it, I hate it. Mrs FT has watched the whole thing so I've been taking notes. I can appreciate it's clever and well made, but ugh so hateful. Why is a slim fit guy with amazing cheekbones cast as the stalker mentalist? Shoulda been a chinless shut-in. Anyway the whole this is just icky and annoying, but go for it.

My girlfriend was engrossed but the voice over made me want to kick the TV in after about 30s. 3 hours in and I was stalking around the house begging for it to stop. The most grating TV program I've ever been in presence of.

amputeeporn

The BOOK of this was appalling.

Just a piss poor, sexed-up rip off of The Collector that assumed, apparently correctly, that people don't have any knowledge of books published a generation or two before they were born.

icehaven

I binged this over the last 2 days despite not particularly enjoying it, finding it riddled with TV/film cliches and not actually giving a damn what happened by the end. It had it's moments but overall I think I should have turned off in the first episode when it was so screamingly obvious, as soon as that glass box appeared, that she was going to end up in it. And god god was she so consistently annoying.

One thing I found particularly stupid was that there's no way Joe would have got away with the Benji murder either. For a start there's no way Benji wouldn't have known what the business guru he thought he was going to meet looked like. Then it was even more  ridiculous to suggest just because there were a few (fake) instagram posts by him no one would seemingly question why he'd abandoned his business and hadn't been seen for ages. May have been a comment on how life is 'lived' on social media and how everyone was too self-obsessed to notice but it was clumsy as hell as a plot device.

And bloody hell it took me about 4 episodes to work out it was Stranger Things I'd seen the kid in before. Won't be bothering with series 2 I don't think, unless it's a vast improvement.

Bently Sheds

"This is a lockable, inescapable, hermetically sealed, climate controlled, temperature controlled glass box for the purpose of protecting our super rare book collection from the damaging effects of the environment."

So why's it got fucking great circular holes in the glass walls, Shit Dexter???

icehaven

And why would it need to be 'inescapable'? Books aren't exactly notorious escape artists. It would have been a (tiny, tiny) bit less hammer-heavy if he'd played up how hard it was to break in to it rather than out.

olliebean

Chekhov's lockable, inescapable, hermetically sealed, climate controlled, temperature controlled glass box.

Custard

We lasted four episodes at Bungalow Custard. My girlfriend suddenly turned to me and said "this is really fucking shit, isn't it?", and there were a sudden rush of relief that I'd never have to sit through another second of it. I thought she was enjoying it

Dexter for hipsters. Or Dexter for boring cunts. Or Dexter after season four. Dexter.

BlodwynPig

1 episode and jettisoned. Have we stooped so low that any old "slick" shit passes as good TV?

Dannyhood91

Let's all watch Russian Doll instead cos that's good

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on February 06, 2019, 05:01:59 PM
Let's all watch Russian Doll instead cos that's good

It's not that good and the cosy post-liberal millennial wanking of the last two episodes was drivel.

icehaven

Watched a few of the latest series and it's still shit! Just so you know.

Bently Sheds

I watched the whole of the latest series and it doesn't get any better. It sets things up for the next series which I will inevitably watch with Mrs Sheds.

Dr Rock