Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Limmy doesnae like VR:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1457430046424059908

He's right about the Nike VR shoes though, that does sound daft.

Cloud

My only experience with Nike stuff is these novel "tech wear" shoes that sounded neat, not all that tech, just a zip and a "unique" way of designing them.  They caused absolute agony.  In fairness their returns policy is excellent.

I'm the same when it comes to "not that arsed about Facebook".  I'm not a normal internet geek, most of them get raging mad about privacy. I am just not all that fussed, get more relevant ads (or better still block them) and free services.  But I don't see it as an absolute, and a lot of complaints can be addressed by changing the settings from their defaults or using ad blocking / privacy addons

Pinball

I found an interesting news site for 3D and VR :-)

I like the look of their ProMa devices (3D glasses-free tablet and 28-inch monitor). The monitor is a bit pricey, but presumably the only other options for this are very expensive commercial monitors (Sony's holographic displays etc)? The tablet would be cool though.

https://www.tridimensional.info/2021/10/introducing-proma-king-tablet

https://www.tridimensional.info/tienda/proma-vr-eye-tracking-28-4k-monitor

dmillburn

I think I'm finally going to bite on getting an Oculus 2 as there's some decent deals around for Black Friday with £50 back offers making the 128gb model £249. There's a few places doing similar deals - Amazon have it at £299 with £50 Amazon store credit back, Very are doing a straight £50 back to your card and John Lewis and Argos both doing a £50 gift card (but JL having a 2 year warranty. I think in theory you can combine the Amazon £50 credit with their 10% off on a kid's wishlist item, effectively making it £220 (as long as you'll use £50 in Amazon credit, which I will).

Me and my daughter have done a couple of really good VR experiences over the last 2 weeks, which I got as birthday presents, and it's got us wanting to get something at home. Otherworld in London was really fun with 16 immersion pods (with wind and heat effects) and a cool Black Mirror-eque aesthetic with projection mapping interiors and staff in matching white cult-like uniforms, and you get to explore a custom game world which ties all the games they have together on a virtual island. The game are standard VR fare (Synth Riders, Arizone Sunshine, Half-Life Alyx etc) but the way it's all presented is really well done. A lot of the games we enjoyed here are on the Quest, so that's what made my mind up.

Next up was the War of the Worlds interactive experience, something that was way better than I ever expected it to be. I'd seen adverts for it in the past but wasn't really interested as it's pretty expensive and I wasn't expecting much from it but it was absolutely brilliant. It's a mix of live actors and actual sets (which seem to go on for ages, with the whole thing lasting nearly 2 hours) and there a few VR setpieces at the heart of it which use neat physical effects to compliment it. I loved this, one of the best things I've done in a while.

The final one was a VR escape room, Inabox3 in Birmingham. Again this was way better than I'd ever imagined, and uses neat rumble and environmental effects (heat, wind, vibrating floor, smells) as you make your way from room to room solving puzzles to escape from Chernobyls. This one was really impressive as you have a backpack strapped to you and free roam around what feels like a pretty convincing nuclear reactor rather than the reality of a warehouse in Digbeth. There was a few minor niggles with the technology when picking up objects etc, but it's still amazing how far things have progressed in recent years. At the end they get you to pose to try and sell you a photo, and whilst doing so one of the screen walls in front of us actually fell down as someone knocked into it. I'd only just taken my VR headset off seconds earlier so for a moment was genuinely confused to to if that was happening or not. The barman told me that something similar happened a couple of weeks ago, with players loving the immersive rain effects for one scene on an exposed bridge which were actually down to a real leak in the warehouse roof.

peanutbutter

Got an 8 pound credit to use by the end of next month. Assuming the 30% offer continue for a while I'm thinking of getting some cheaper game with it.

Currently looking at the two golf games as possibilities along with Richie's Plank Experience as a possible party game option. Anyone got opinions on any of those or strongly recommend something else?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 22, 2021, 07:35:25 PMGot an 8 pound credit to use by the end of next month. Assuming the 30% offer continue for a while I'm thinking of getting some cheaper game with it.

Currently looking at the two golf games as possibilities along with Richie's Plank Experience as a possible party game option. Anyone got opinions on any of those or strongly recommend something else?
I haven't played Golf+, or TopGolf as it used to be known, but I can tell you that Walkabout Mini Golf is brilliant, I would 100% recommend it.

Richie's Plank Experience is alright for a few laughs but it's not gonna give a lot of replay ability. Flying around the city is pretty fun though.

Cold Meat Platter

Just pulled the trigger on a Quest 2 so I'll be joining the fun soon. Did the Amazon 50 quid credit deal. Will be handy for Chrimbo presents.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: dmillburn on November 22, 2021, 10:28:05 AMI think I'm finally going to bite on getting an Oculus 2 as there's some decent deals around for Black Friday with £50 back offers making the 128gb model £249. There's a few places doing similar deals - Amazon have it at £299 with £50 Amazon store credit back, Very are doing a straight £50 back to your card and John Lewis and Argos both doing a £50 gift card (but JL having a 2 year warranty. I think in theory you can combine the Amazon £50 credit with their 10% off on a kid's wishlist item, effectively making it £220 (as long as you'll use £50 in Amazon credit, which I will).

Me and my daughter have done a couple of really good VR experiences over the last 2 weeks, which I got as birthday presents, and it's got us wanting to get something at home. Otherworld in London was really fun with 16 immersion pods (with wind and heat effects) and a cool Black Mirror-eque aesthetic with projection mapping interiors and staff in matching white cult-like uniforms, and you get to explore a custom game world which ties all the games they have together on a virtual island. The game are standard VR fare (Synth Riders, Arizone Sunshine, Half-Life Alyx etc) but the way it's all presented is really well done. A lot of the games we enjoyed here are on the Quest, so that's what made my mind up.

Next up was the War of the Worlds interactive experience, something that was way better than I ever expected it to be. I'd seen adverts for it in the past but wasn't really interested as it's pretty expensive and I wasn't expecting much from it but it was absolutely brilliant. It's a mix of live actors and actual sets (which seem to go on for ages, with the whole thing lasting nearly 2 hours) and there a few VR setpieces at the heart of it which use neat physical effects to compliment it. I loved this, one of the best things I've done in a while.

The final one was a VR escape room, Inabox3 in Birmingham. Again this was way better than I'd ever imagined, and uses neat rumble and environmental effects (heat, wind, vibrating floor, smells) as you make your way from room to room solving puzzles to escape from Chernobyls. This one was really impressive as you have a backpack strapped to you and free roam around what feels like a pretty convincing nuclear reactor rather than the reality of a warehouse in Digbeth. There was a few minor niggles with the technology when picking up objects etc, but it's still amazing how far things have progressed in recent years. At the end they get you to pose to try and sell you a photo, and whilst doing so one of the screen walls in front of us actually fell down as someone knocked into it. I'd only just taken my VR headset off seconds earlier so for a moment was genuinely confused to to if that was happening or not. The barman told me that something similar happened a couple of weeks ago, with players loving the immersive rain effects for one scene on an exposed bridge which were actually down to a real leak in the warehouse roof.
That all sounds brill, I'd love to do some proper immersive experiences like that.

Definitely go for a Quest 2, you won't regret it. Now sounds like the ideal time too.

Cold Meat Platter

Right so what's the deal with the sidequest stuff? Looks like I can play Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein on this fucker?

Fry

My Brother In Law gifted my wife A FUCKIN OCULOUS QUEST 2. We are bloody chuffed. Have played beat saber too, was amazing. Looking to get superhot too.

Is there a decent airplane/hangliding game or a good golf game? I love a good golf game.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 23, 2021, 03:40:18 AMRight so what's the deal with the sidequest stuff? Looks like I can play Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein on this fucker?

Yeah they're awesome man. 

Fellow Quest owners may also want to look into @loader as a way of getting all sorts of things onto the headset for £0.

Some cool stuff to try:

Less pukey:
•   Cubism
•   Walkabout mini golf
•   Demeo
•   Eleven Table Tennis
•   Tetris Effect
•   I expect you to die 1 / 2
•   The Room
•   Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
•   Gravity Lab

More pukey:
•   Crisis VRigade 1 / 2 – time crisis style arcade shooter
•   Walking Dead Saints & Sinners
•   Vader Immortal 1 / 2 / 3
•   'Teem Beef' ports (Doom 3 / Quake / QuestZDoom (need to download original wads for this, easy to find) / Halflife / Return to castle Wolfenstein)
•   Red Matter
•   Stride
•   The Climb 2
•   Rez

Apps:
•   Skybox VR player
•   Virtual Desktop (paid only I think)
•   Wander
•   Youtube VR

Quote from: Fry on November 23, 2021, 06:04:22 PMIs there a decent airplane/hangliding game or a good golf game? I love a good golf game.

Warplanes WW1 fighters is decent.  Rush springs to mind but it's a puker...

Ferris

Quote from: Fry on November 23, 2021, 06:04:22 PMMy Brother In Law gifted my wife A FUCKIN OCULOUS QUEST 2. We are bloody chuffed. Have played beat saber too, was amazing. Looking to get superhot too.

Brilliant little game, simple but challenging and ends up being almost like chess in terms of tactics etc. Well worth the ten quid or whatever it is.

Brundle-Fly

Right you 'orrible lot, I'm all new to this VR lark and have just bought a second hand Quest 2.

I'm a curvy, mature, very casual gamer with a bubbly personality and need some games recommended. I have an X Box One and usually get off on daft, violent Open World fantasy stuff like Rage 2 , Doom, Rez, Zombie Army, the Sniper Elite/ Far Cry/ Borderlands franchises. Oh, and those Trials Bikes games, for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

Ferris

Superhot. Beat Saber.

Everything else optional.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 23, 2021, 09:09:54 PMRight you 'orrible lot, I'm all new to this VR lark and have just bought a second hand Quest 2.

I'm a curvy, mature, very casual gamer with a bubbly personality and need some games recommended. I have an X Box One and usually get off on daft, violent Open World fantasy stuff like Rage 2 , Doom, Rez, Zombie Army, the Sniper Elite/ Far Cry/ Borderlands franchises. Oh, and those Trials Bikes games, for some reason.

Thanks in advance.
Since you mentioned Sniper Elite, there's a Sniper Elite VR game which is pretty decent. I've only played the first couple of levels but I've enjoyed it so far. Also you mentioned Rez, and there is a VR version of that too.

There isn't much in the way of open world, but there is definitely daft, violent fantasy stuff. However, you're mainly looking at shorter arcadey type stuff.

'Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners' would be a good one for you. It's one of the longer, deeper VR games. Doesn't matter of you're a fan of the franchise or not, it's not really related beyond the title.

Of course, if you haven't played it 4 million times already there's Resident Evil 4 that's just come out, it works very well in VR and it's the entire game.

There's an FPS I enjoy called Death Horizon, it's not too expensive and it's not got a huge amount of depth but the mechanics are great and it's the best feeling VR FPS I've tried so far.

Plus, you can sideload some classic stuff modded into VR versions, like Doom 3, Half-life, Quake and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 23, 2021, 10:31:14 PMSince you mentioned Sniper Elite, there's a Sniper Elite VR game which is pretty decent. I've only played the first couple of levels but I've enjoyed it so far. Also you mentioned Rez, and there is a VR version of that too.

There isn't much in the way of open world, but there is definitely daft, violent fantasy stuff. However, you're mainly looking at shorter arcadey type stuff.

'Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners' would be a good one for you. It's one of the longer, deeper VR games. Doesn't matter of you're a fan of the franchise or not, it's not really related beyond the title.

Of course, if you haven't played it 4 million times already there's Resident Evil 4 that's just come out, it works very well in VR and it's the entire game.

There's an FPS I enjoy called Death Horizon, it's not too expensive and it's not got a huge amount of depth but the mechanics are great and it's the best feeling VR FPS I've tried so far.

Plus, you can sideload some classic stuff modded into VR versions, like Doom 3, Half-life, Quake and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Much appreciated. Diving in.

TheGingerAlien

Defo worth googling the @ app I mentioned above folks (especially given the throwaway nature of a lot of these VR standalone games), plenty of stuff on reddit about this.

Ferris

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on November 24, 2021, 10:49:34 AMDefo worth googling the @ app I mentioned above folks (especially given the throwaway nature of a lot of these VR standalone games), plenty of stuff on reddit about this.

Am I being dim? I can't find any info on it...

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 24, 2021, 03:43:03 PMAm I being dim? I can't find any info on it...

Soz Ferris - might be me being [somewhat deliberately] vague, but google "@loader quest" and it should take you to the reddit thread in question.  The app used to be called 'rookie' if you get nothing for that initial search.

Ferris

Fry

Anyone here play echo arena vr? It's free and very very fun. Kind of a mix between basketball and ultimate Frisbee in zero gravity. Still can't get over playing what feels like an actual sport standing in my living room.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: NotFerris on November 23, 2021, 10:22:43 PMSuperhot. Beat Saber.

Everything else optional.

You bastard! I'm knackered now.

Cold Meat Platter

Well into this. Got resi 4 and 11 table tennis. The moment I set it up and got plonked in my home room thing I went ooooh I'm somewhere else. Couple of tequilas and I'm having a blast trying to hit a remote control blimp with a wee rocket.

Incredibly slick and well implemented.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 07, 2021, 03:05:26 AMI've never had the VR sickness, in fact I actively search it out, like in Wipeout VR.  I've heard sucking on a bit of ginger can cure it though.

On Mythbusters ginger pills were the only thing that worked against motion sickness.
Although cannabis is an anti-emetic too...

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 26, 2021, 09:47:38 PMWell into this. Got resi 4 and 11 table tennis. The moment I set it up and got plonked in my home room thing I went ooooh I'm somewhere else. Couple of tequilas and I'm having a blast trying to hit a remote control blimp with a wee rocket.

Incredibly slick and well implemented.
I just started uncontrollably giggling when I was hitting those little cubes around and almost cried dancing with the robot guy, I couldn't believe what was happening

Cold Meat Platter

It's weird that 'passthrough' isn't enabled by default, isn't it? It's great if you're jakey bastard who needs a swig of beer or if you're curious as to exactly where the fuck you are now.

Ferris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 28, 2021, 04:54:07 AMIt's weird that 'passthrough' isn't enabled by default, isn't it? It's great if you're jakey bastard who needs a swig of beer or if you're curious as to exactly where the fuck you are now.

You can tap the side of your oculus twice and it cuts to passthrough right away. Helpful for finding tin of beer or plate of sausages.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ferris on November 28, 2021, 10:52:14 AMYou can tap the side of your oculus twice and it cuts to passthrough right away. Helpful for finding tin of beer or plate of sausages.

Yeah but it's not switched on by default, or at least I had to enable mine, was what I meant. Seems like a fundamental feature to me.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Fry on November 24, 2021, 11:50:19 PMAnyone here play echo arena vr? It's free and very very fun. Kind of a mix between basketball and ultimate Frisbee in zero gravity. Still can't get over playing what feels like an actual sport standing in my living room.

Not that one, but have Lone Echo, which is the same "world"/zero gravity stuff but requires a good gaming PC to run it through the Quest. Really beautiful though, with a fantastic and not cliched female character to interact with.

RoboRecall is a good fun one, it's a shooter set in a futuristic city but also gives you a pretty good workout.