Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

They're still going?

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 29, 2019, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I was playing some Stan Ridgway and Wall of Voodoo on Youtube this morning, and was quite surprised to discover he's still making new albums. They're pretty good too.

And Killing Joke. I popped on their 2010 album "Absolute Dissent" the other day, a good 20 years after I assumed they'd all stopped (I guess Youth still produced things after that point) , and it was again pretty good. Nice to hear a bunch of men significantly older than me still angry.

Ever looked up a band from your youth and realised that they made an album last year, or are appearing in your town next week with new material?

Shaky

Killing Joke are a good example - they've never really stopped, but the original line-up regrouped in 2008 and the three subsequent albums are very good. Jaz Coleman still absolutely fucking sounds like he means it.

Famous Mortimer

This thread idea came to me when I was listening to the radio last night and "Fever For The Flava" by Hot Action Cop came on. It was released in 2003 and I've not heard it since then - I think it was on the soundtrack to an old Need For Speed game? The video features the band as germs who make people and inanimate objects super-horny and feels like a charming relic of a simpler time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAURo0rwt6g

Anyway, this obviously one-hit-wonder sub-sub-Limp Bizkit are still going, and released new material as recently as 2016. Good for them, I guess?

Head Gardener

sorting through cds in the cellar I came across all sorts of artists I assumed were lost to time, like Apache Indian who turns out to have made a dozen albums that have passed me by, his first LP No Reservations released in 1992 was/is still good stuff
anyone remember Arranged Marriage

The Magic Numbers are still active on the support-band circuit.

Sin Agog

Saw The Zombies play at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, including Rod Argent and Colin Bluntstone.  Was on a Sunday, when some of the punters' brain damage becomes more readily apparent.  One bloke was just hoarsely hiccupping the lyrics to She's Not There through every single song that wasn't She's Not There.

DrGreggles

I saw Dodgy tonight. They were terrific.

gib

i saw 'em, 20 years ago Dr G, and thought 'they're still going?'. Was good fun though.

One of the Sham gigs is a 20 minute walk from me. I am tempted.

Small Man Big Horse

Mostly unloved indie stalwarts My Life Story and David Devant and His Spirit Wife both released new albums recently, their first in decades too. I haven't bought them but the tracks I've heard seemed likeable enough.

Baby Bird is still going as well, and also released a new album this year.

dr beat

I'm going to see DD&HSW at the Water Rats week after next.

Famous Mortimer

Ozric Tentacles.

They're a band of my student days (mid 90s), and because they're independent and don't get mentioned in the press all that often, and I don't read the press all that often, I assumed they'd stopped, gone back to doing hippy things. But they're still going, thirty albums deep. I picked a song at random off their first record from 1985 and one from a 1994 album, and couldn't tell the difference. This may be me getting out of the habit of listening to their stuff, or it may be them finding a groove very early on and just sticking with it? It appears my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since I would listen to them all the time, though.

chveik

Terminal Cheesecake have released 2 albums this year

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: dr beat on December 01, 2019, 12:30:25 PM
I'm going to see DD&HSW at the Water Rats week after next.

I did hear about that gig and was vaguely tempted, but I'm out the night before and as it's also a week night I feel I'm too old for such escapades when I have to work the next day. Christ, the younger me would have me shot for saying such a thing, and deservedly so. Anyhos, I hope you have a great night though, have you got the new album out of interest, and if so, what did you think of it?

jobotic

Quote from: chveik on December 01, 2019, 08:53:13 PM

They packed it in for years though. Saw them a couple of times last year, had a great time. Not as great as when I was 18 but I'm not 18.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: chveik on December 01, 2019, 08:53:13 PM

Just seeing their name makes me feel a bit spaced. Fond memories!

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2019, 12:56:27 PMAnd Killing Joke. I popped on their 2010 album "Absolute Dissent" the other day, a good 20 years after I assumed they'd all stopped (I guess Youth still produced things after that point) , and it was again pretty good. Nice to hear a bunch of men significantly older than me still angry.

My brother's seen them twice in recent years, a couple of years ago when he greeted Jaz Coleman in the street after and just a few months back. They're playing the Sunstroke festival here next summer.

RE: Stan Ridgeway, he played on at least one Frank Black album a few years back too.

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 30, 2019, 07:57:58 PM
Mostly unloved indie stalwarts My Life Story and David Devant and His Spirit Wife both released new albums recently...

Good grief. I'm on MLS/Jake Shillingford's facebook page for some reason (I only know one of their songs, the one that goes ''ba ba ba ba, ba ba BAAAA") but I don't remember seeing anything about a new album, must have not been paying attention. Loved David Devant though, although as you say with mostly-unloved-even-in-their-heyday bands like this, you can't help wondering how they've been paying the bills all these years?

SteveDave

Quote from: icehaven on December 02, 2019, 12:32:07 PM
Loved David Devant though, although as you say with mostly-unloved-even-in-their-heyday bands like this, you can't help wondering how they've been paying the bills all these years?

The Vessel's just become a Doctor of the Arts and teaches, Foz is a graphic designer (they all met at art school I believe). Not sure what the Professor and the Colonel do though I'm in no doubt it's vaguely art related.

SteveDave- Man of the people, friend to the stars.

Icehaven

Yeah, I guess most members of bands at that kind of level would have had to get 'real' jobs quite a while ago. You just presume when they resurface with a new album and playing gigs etc. that they must be back doing music full time again but that probably isn't the case at all.

Dusty Substance

I was looking through this list of Long Gaps Between Studio Albums (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_longest_gaps_between_studio_albums) and was shocked to see that second division sophisti-pop band Johnny Hates Jazz released their first album for 22 years in 2013.

peanutbutter

the Wrens regularly post on facebook about how their finishing off their latest album, been doing it for about a decade now. Seem to hardly ever play any shows and in all likelihood probably only meet to record new bits once or twice a year, but very much still active.

It seems kinda nice tbh, a social hobby sorta like how some podcasts are obviously just an excuse to maintain a friendship. You'd nearly imagine there's a bit of an aversion towards actually finishing it cos you'll have to tour and shit pretty soon after.

non capisco

I love 'I've Made Enough Friends' by The Wrens so fucking much. Worra tune.

dr beat

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 01, 2019, 09:38:59 PM
I did hear about that gig and was vaguely tempted, but I'm out the night before and as it's also a week night I feel I'm too old for such escapades when I have to work the next day. Christ, the younger me would have me shot for saying such a thing, and deservedly so. Anyhos, I hope you have a great night though, have you got the new album out of interest, and if so, what did you think of it?

Cheers thanks I'm really looking forward to it! Yes I'm similarly wary of midweek nights out but I just happen to be down in London for work then and I'm staying a stone's throw from the venue so it should work out. And being the day before the election I might as well get hammered early and hopefully carry on the next day!

Haven't heard the new album yet but I understand they are selling them at the gig so I'll pick one up then.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Shaky on November 29, 2019, 01:34:44 PM
Killing Joke are a good example - they've never really stopped, but the original line-up regrouped in 2008 and the three subsequent albums are very good. Jaz Coleman still absolutely fucking sounds like he means it.

new Jaz album - more info

Head Gardener

Paul Weller apparently still at it, I have not heard his stuff for years so was surprised to see a new single coming out on Ghost Box - blimey

Keebleman

One day in school a friend said he had a ticket to see Hawkwind.  Our English teacher overheard and said, "Hawkwind?!  Are they still going?"

That was in 1984.

Natnar

The Psychedelic Furs are releasing a new album in July, 29 years after their last one https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-pyschedelic-furs-made-of-rain-exclusive-signed-cd/ .

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Rolling Stones are still together, apparently.

and Smegma.