Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

They're still going?

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 29, 2019, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Seen some Bowling for Soup tour posters going up.  I mean good for them but you wouldn't have thought they'd outlast so many people.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 29, 2022, 05:10:07 PMSeen some Bowling for Soup tour posters going up.  I mean good for them but you wouldn't have thought they'd outlast so many people.

Wasn't it just the guitarist who was really fat before? I saw a recent picture of them and now they're all really fat.

jobotic

Must have got a few strikes

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 28, 2022, 08:30:39 PMI feel like bumping this thread is appropriate, given the topic.

Charlotte Hatherley popped into my head today, listening to some Kleenex Girl Wonder and there was a bit which reminded me of something off her - as far as I was aware - only solo album after leaving Ash. Well, she's been pretty busy in the intervening years, releasing new music up to a few years ago, and being in several touring bands (including Bryan Ferry's) and is now the main musician behind someone called Nakhane.

Anyway, I played her last single, from 2018, and it might as well have been an entirely different musician. Obviously, evolution and all that, but.

Her first three solo albums - particularly Deep Blue and New Worlds - are fantastic. Bright and inventive indie/power pop. She's hugely underrated and I'll bleat on at anyone about this at the faintest mention of her.

She went off for a bit and then came back with a big synth pop overhaul and it was... well, I'm not gonna lie to you, it was shite.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 29, 2022, 06:41:39 PMWasn't it just the guitarist who was really fat before? I saw a recent picture of them and now they're all really fat.

Ironically he looked the healthiest, the others looked like they had all at different points died.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 29, 2022, 06:52:13 PMHer first three solo albums - particularly Deep Blue and New Worlds - are fantastic. Bright and inventive indie/power pop. She's hugely underrated and I'll bleat on at anyone about this at the faintest mention of her.

She went off for a bit and then came back with a big synth pop overhaul and it was... well, I'm not gonna lie to you, it was shite.

Really was, I had to double check it was actually the same person.

badaids

I can't the believe The Beatles are still going after all these years. I saw them at a pub in Carlisle last night.

John told me that he hadn't actually been killed in the 80s but had had plastic surgery and retired, which was why he looked so different now, and George didn't die either he went of to Iraq undercover and then Afghanistan, and he was doing this gig on a break from SF work in Ukraine but it's all kept a secret.

They were a bit rusty but well worth the £250 quid to see them and a C90 demo of their new album.

Spiteface

Quote from: Kankurette on April 28, 2022, 08:48:15 PMRide. I had no idea they were back together until a friend mentioned she was going to see them tonight.

Yeah, they reformed soon after Beady Eye carked it. Apparently Andy Bell wanting to do it was part of the reason Beady Eye ended, along with Liam Gallagher losing interest and Liam admitted as much in initial interviews when he went solo. Gem Archer and Chris Sharrock joined Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: badaids on April 30, 2022, 07:12:53 AMI can't the believe The Beatles are still going after all these years. I saw them at a pub in Carlisle last night.

John told me that he hadn't actually been killed in the 80s but had had plastic surgery and retired, which was why he looked so different now, and George didn't die either he went of to Iraq undercover and then Afghanistan, and he was doing this gig on a break from SF work in Ukraine but it's all kept a secret.

They were a bit rusty but well worth the £250 quid to see them and a C90 demo of their new album.

Did they still have the So Called "Paul McCartney" with them? More like Faul McCartney

JaDanketies

Rammstein (1994) released a new album a day or two ago. Got plenty of great press but I barely even registered any song when I listened to it, the new Bob Vylan album I listened to before it made a bigger impact. I used to be really into Rammstein, and it's hard to say if the new album is objectively worse than Mutter or Sehnsucht.

Deftones (1988) are still operating too and getting great press and I think their new stuff is far worse than their old stuff. Can you still tap into the same emotional / creative sentiments when you're 50 as when you're 20? Or should you be doing some folk / acoustic

badaids

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 30, 2022, 10:44:57 AMDid they still have the So Called "Paul McCartney" with them? More like Faul McCartney

Paul couldn't make it that night they said he down at Abbey Street studios doing some super dubs on their new single 'Oi Ruud'.

Famous Mortimer

Fly Ashtray!

Okay, not a huge name, but I used to listen to them when I was deep in the tape label world in the mid 90s. Looks like they missed most of the 2000s, but they released new music as recently as last year. Good on em! The new stuff sounds pretty much exactly the same as the old stuff, too.

Greg Torso

Fly Ashtray were great! Might give "Clumps Takes A Ride" a spin later tonight.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 30, 2022, 11:05:23 AMI used to be really into Rammstein, and it's hard to say if the new album is objectively worse than Mutter or Sehnsucht.
They're a different band now, I think.  The template is more Reise, Reise now, but even then I think they're fairly inventive for a band that plays such simple tunes.  Quite impressed with them to be honest.

of course if they wanted to revisit their more industrial sound then I really wouldn't object.  But then I like Herzeleid more than Sehnsucht.

Viero_Berlotti

Jimmy Eat World

New Model Army

prelektric

Interpol.

I utterly fell in love with them back in the early 2000s - a case of the right music at the right time in my life. I still listen to those first few albums a lot.

But then Carlos left and it was never really the same after that. I always thought of them as the sum of all their parts, and once one of those elements was taken away, it wasn't Interpol anymore.

Yet, Paul Banks seems to be insistent on carrying it through to this day (and also having some weird side projects himself, but, y'know, good for him).

EDIT: Just put a couple of tracks on from their first album. Ferociously pretentious and weird, but incredibly effective, goosebumps everywhere. I was right to never grow out of them. Although I think I might have been a closet goth in my early 20s.

Kankurette

I'm well aware Sparks are still going, but I'm amazed that they're in their 70s. They don't look it.

prelektric

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2022, 12:12:26 PMI'm well aware Sparks are still going, but I'm amazed that they're in their 70s. They don't look it.

Oh dear, don't get me started!

I absolutely love them. For an incredible amount of reasons.

TheMonk

EMF will make you feel old.

Brundle-Fly

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2022, 12:12:26 PMI'm well aware Sparks are still going, but I'm amazed that they're in their 70s. They don't look it.

I think they would if you took away their bottle of black hair dye.

Jockice

I've just read a book called Exit Stage Left about what happens to pop stars once they stop being pop stars. Some are still trying to make a comeback, some occasionally do appearances at clubs etc but don't rely on it for a living (like Dennis Seaton from Musical Youth, whose proper job now is to do with ladder safety) and others still make music but aren't particularly bothered about 'making it' again. It's hard (for me at least) to imagine Nasher from FGTH as a funeral celebrant but that's what he does.

Which reminds me, In the early years of the century i got some books out of the university library and had them stamped by a Comsat Angel.

Viero_Berlotti

Queensrÿche

The Lighthouse Family

prelektric

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 07, 2022, 02:45:37 PMThe Lighthouse Family

...should never be spoken of again. Thank you for your co-operation.

prelektric

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2022, 02:00:24 PMIt's hard (for me at least) to imagine Nasher from FGTH as a funeral celebrant but that's what he does.

Weirdly, I can completely visualise that. And it's fine. What that says about me is, well, I guess that judgement is up to you.

Viero_Berlotti

The Wurzels

The Polyphonic Spree

Famous Mortimer

Why not talk about them rather than listing names?

Viero_Berlotti

Soz boss will try harder next time.

prelektric

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 07, 2022, 03:49:52 PMSoz boss will try harder next time.

Not about being "boss", but more about engaging in conversation. If you don't want to, that's perfectly fine too.

But mentioning "The Lighthouse Family" and not telling us what they're doing now is a bit of a disservice to the community here, you know, so we can completely avoid them as we ought to. Help us!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Do kids still say "Soz boss" at each other? I bet it's all "my bad, lol" in this current year dystopia.