Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

They're still going?

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 29, 2019, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Had a look at the gig listings earlier. The Libertines are embarking on the "Giddy up a Ding Dong" tour, which I suppose is a step up in name from the previous "Tiddly Om Pom Pom" tour. I could have sworn they only had about three songs at the time so gawd only knows how they're able to tour two decades later.

The Mollusk

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 03:54:21 PMBut mentioning "The Lighthouse Family" and not telling us what they're doing now is a bit of a disservice to the community here

To be fair if someone started telling me what The Lighthouse Family were up to these days and the sentence didn't end with "slowly turning into a bile soup in a giant puddle of Seth Brundle's stomach acid disgorge" I would ultimately be disappointed.

prelektric

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 07, 2022, 04:07:56 PMThe Libertines are embarking on the "Giddy up a Ding Dong" tour

This is the worst sentence of anything I've read all year. Congraulations!

Not sure if its parody, or a threat - either way it made my arse twitch.

prelektric

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 07, 2022, 04:09:52 PMTo be fair if someone started telling me what The Lighthouse Family were up to these days and the sentence didn't end with "slowly turning into a bile soup in a giant puddle of Seth Brundle's stomach acid disgorge" I would ultimately be disappointed.

Oh, I absolutely do not want an answer, but your definition was highly amusing, so there is that ;)

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 04:14:04 PMThis is the worst sentence of anything I've read all year. Congraulations!

[sp]Not sure if its parody, or a threat - either way it made my arse twitch.[/sp]

Sadly it's all too real. Imagine seeing that listed and going "oh yeah, I'll have some of that, I'm going to that." Grim.

jobotic

Throwy up a thing wrong

I hate that band

non capisco

Weird that he promoted his tour with a drawing of him on the toilet the next day.

prelektric

How do you post your photos on here? I've tried various places and nothing shows up here when I reference them...

And yes, Pete Docherty is a cunt.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You highlight the link then press the little screen icon to the right of the YouTube icon.

prelektric

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 07, 2022, 05:01:00 PMYou highlight the link then press the little screen icon to the right of the YouTube icon.

Thanks, but what if it isn't a YouTube thing? Are we even allowed to hotlink stuff here? I dunno. Sorry, but I'm bit of noob with these things.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm pretty sure you can hotlink whatever you want. The YouTube icon is for, well, YouTube, and if you want to show a picture of your genitals to us or whatever, you click the icon to the right of it that looks like a little monitor with a green plus sign in the bottom right hand corner.

willbo

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 05:09:50 PMThanks, but what if it isn't a YouTube thing? Are we even allowed to hotlink stuff here? I dunno. Sorry, but I'm bit of noob with these things.

do you know how to upload stuff to sites like imgur.com? It doesn't take that long.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2022, 02:00:24 PMWhich reminds me, In the early years of the century i got some books out of the university library and had them stamped by a Comsat Angel.
I'd imagine he was making a lot more cash from that than he ever made from the band! Though it shows how shit the deal FGTH must have signed with ZZT was that Nasher had to find a "proper" job after selling millions of copies of 'Relax' and 'Two Tribes'.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 07, 2022, 05:31:33 PMI'd imagine he was making a lot more cash from that than he ever made from the band! Though it shows how shit the deal FGTH must have signed with ZZT was that Nasher had to find a "proper" job after selling millions of copies of 'Relax' and 'Two Tribes'.

Probably. The Comsats were great but for various reasons just never made it. However, I know he's still making music to this day so good for him.

Yeah, the book goes into even some of the most successful bands being short-changed. The music industry is awash with financial sharks. It's by a bloke called Nick Duerden incidentally and I read the whole thing in one day so I suppose that's a sort of recommendation.

Brundle-Fly

The 100 Club in Oxford St always have surprising listings. David Devant And His Spirit Wife and The Jazz Butcher, I've seen in recent times but was gutted not catch Darts last year. 

It's the old Oi bands of my youth still going that fascinate me. You can see The Business, Peter And The Test Babies, Red Alert and The Gonads perform at The 100 Club this month, should you so wish to spend a night in a sweaty basement with a load of tubby, ruddy-faced, borderline diabetic, bald ex- skinhead alcoholics in their late-fifties and a handful of young dodgy Italian punks with too many tattoos.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 05:09:50 PMThanks, but what if it isn't a YouTube thing? Are we even allowed to hotlink stuff here? I dunno. Sorry, but I'm bit of noob with these things.
There's an "insert image" link just to the right of the Insert Youtube link.

prelektric

Quote from: willbo on May 07, 2022, 05:27:12 PMdo you know how to upload stuff to sites like imgur.com? It doesn't take that long.

Does this work?

prelektric

Yes, yes it does. Thank you for upskilling a relatively old man that works in IT, but can't do this sort of shit. Cheers matey!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Was that the picture you were desperate to share with us?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 03:28:48 PMDoes this work?

Lennie Henry's getting increasingly desperate with his new characters..

JaDanketies

Congratulations on sharing this image! What a monumental occasion. What is it?

dr beat

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2022, 05:47:40 PMYeah, the book goes into even some of the most successful bands being short-changed. The music industry is awash with financial sharks. It's by a bloke called Nick Duerden incidentally and I read the whole thing in one day so I suppose that's a sort of recommendation.

Thanks for recommending the book, I'm getting through it quickly too.  One for the pop-crazed youngsters.

prelektric

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 15, 2022, 09:58:49 AMCongratulations on sharing this image! What a monumental occasion. What is it?

That, my dear lad, is one of the members of the Scottish Disco band "Rokotto". The reason I have that photo is because the pictured fella is an absolute dead ringer for a colleague of ours.

They're fab, look them up. Dundee never had it so good...

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 04:14:04 PMThis is the worst sentence of anything I've read all year. Congraulations!

Not sure if its parody, or a threat - either way it made my arse twitch.
What makes it even worse in my view is that the tour title is a glib Alex Harvey reference. Doherty is not fit to exist in the same universe as that man, let alone try to ride his coat-tails.

prelektric

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 14, 2022, 08:45:43 PMWas that the picture you were desperate to share with us?

See my post above, was just a test. Also, Rokotto FTW

All I wanted to do was know how to share images here. I found out. The image I chose was just a test. No need for snark lads.

PaulTMA

purlieu

Wait until you hear them.

dontpaintyourteeth

I see there's a new Kula Shaker album out next week.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

I had this response seeing Buzzcocks at one of the Leeds Heineken festivals: Google tells me it must have been 1995. They played an incredible set, though.

In 2007, I got a day ticket to see Leonard Cohen* play at the Big Chill. Mooching around the field, I heard a familiar riff. Lo and behold, Buzzcocks again! Bugger me, are they still going? And they still played every note like they meant it. Another storming set. Not the likeliest double bill, but a pretty special night, all told.

* He'd fit the thread as well, I suppose, although the circumstances were fairly well-known by then. I was in Russia when he played the Kremlin on his Grand Tour. I wish I'd gone, now - the atmosphere would have been extremely strange. I'll never get to see him play live again, and the way things are going, I'm extremely unlikely to revisit Russia for that matter, despite being the 25% minority of our household who doesn't hold Russian citizenship.