Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Iain Lee has started up a Twitch channel and the first thing he's doing is playing through and discussing every episode of the 11 O'Clock show. Episode 1 up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/pggmEOsHNms

Really like his talkRADIO show, and I find any discussion of behind the scenes of shows fascinating, I imagine this may get a kicking here, but some may find it interesting. If anything just how punch down it all was.

Bazooka

I only ever dipped in and out of the 11 o'clock show, catching the last 10 min etc, but I do like Lain (Ian) Lee.

Thanks.

bgmnts

Don't know Iain Lee beyond the fact Bob Mortimer called up his show a few times as a man who runs fast, he has a bit of banter with Limmy and he was on celebrity jungle. Is he actually funny or a bit of a div?

Ham Bap

I like his radio show, listen to it most days. Most of the time a good listen, a bit cliquey with the same callers sometimes.
Wears his heart on his sleeve, takes the piss out of the other TalkRadio hosts like Julia Hartley Brewer and Matthew Wright, and Mike Graham, which got him suspended before Christmas.

bgmnts

Good god, anytime anyone complains about their colleagues, imagine being Iain Lee.

Operty1

He recently had a pop at James whale as well.

The radio show is a great listen, and used to have Rainbow George on, until he got frustrated with all his metaphysical nonsense.

Small Man Big Horse

That's really interesting, especially as to the behind the scenes stuff, thanks for that.

Operty1

Episode 2 is tonight about 8pm on Twitch, he says he's doing every episode 1 a day.

He admits he was coked off his tits for a lot of it.

Link to Twitch channel

https://www.twitch.tv/iainlee

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Operty1 on February 02, 2020, 12:21:40 PM
He recently had a pop at James whale as well.

Sorry to derail the thread, but what is Whale doing these days?

I found his shows a bit odd and fascinating in the early 2000's, nowadays I'd probably be appalled at the reactionary bile he spouted during the early 2000's asylum seeker hatred.

Replies From View

Director's Commentary?  I didn't know he directed the show.

Ferris

Iain Lee is surely a defunct pseudonym for Stewart Lee (as dreamt up by a very tired Richard Herring).

sutin

Thanks for the heads up. Iain Lee has definitely matured into a good and interesting broadcaster. He'd be the first to admit that he was a bit of an idiot in the 11 O'Clock Show days.

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 02, 2020, 01:20:54 PM
Iain Lee is surely a defunct pseudonym for Stewart Lee (as dreamt up by a very tired Richard Herring).

As part of the "News for Ians" sketches.

I'm surprised by how much he seems to be morphing into Tony Slattery.

derek stitt

I like Iain Lee now but, remember him singling out the 'special needs'  and mocking them with sardonic  looks to  camera, in his ask the general population for their opinions on topical events segments on the show, nasty that. 

imitationleather

I don't think revisiting every episode of this shit is going to be good for his mental health, but that first one was interesting.

Replies From View

Quote from: derek stitt on February 02, 2020, 02:55:00 PM
I like Iain Lee now but, remember him singling out the 'special needs'  and mocking them with sardonic  looks to  camera, in his ask the general population for their opinions on topical events segments on the show, nasty that.

Yes I think he should take more responsibility for his contributions when it's right to do so.  In the earliest stages he was presumably doing as he was told and following the show's "nasty, shocking" brief but a) he chose to stay onboard for four series, suggesting it was a good fit for him, and b) I don't believe that every face he pulled was the responsibility of an unnamed director.

Operty1

Quote from: Replies From View on February 02, 2020, 03:03:01 PM
Yes I think he should take more responsibility for his contributions when it's right to do so.  In the earliest stages he was presumably doing as he was told and following the show's "nasty, shocking" brief but a) he chose to stay onboard for four series, suggesting it was a good fit for him, and b) I don't believe that every face he pulled was the responsibility of an unnamed director.

He has recognised and apologised many times over for this. He's the first to say his behaviour was abhorrent.

Replies From View

Quote from: Operty1 on February 02, 2020, 03:19:07 PM
He has recognised and apologised many times over for this. He's the first to say his behaviour was abhorrent.

Ah okay.  I have seen that commentary YouTube video but within that he mostly says it was a character that he was advised to perform a certain way and was too inexperienced to reject, which to me isn't the same kind of apology that involves taking responsibility.

I'll agree that he doesn't seem to be the same kind of cunt that the 11 O'Clock Show suggested.  It did him no favours that his "character" had his own name.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on February 02, 2020, 03:03:01 PM

It probably didn't help he was off his nut on beak.

I'm also not sure wearing a grey t-shirt infront of a green screen showing old clips and doing face closeup transitions, is going to calm the accusations of patter theft...

Replies From View

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on February 02, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
I'm also not sure wearing a grey t-shirt infront of a green screen showing old clips and doing face closeup transitions, is going to calm the accusations of patter theft...

I was going to say that these do quite resemble Limmy's recent 3-2-1 videos, with the pausing and various asides, but decided not to mention it and will continue not to mention it.

Dewt

Can't wait for Bob Mills to sign up to Twitch

daf

pancreas

Oh this is hard work. It's very interesting obvs but it's watching an addict talk about the tragedy of his life.

Not invited to the premiere of the Ali G show, for example. Must have hurt.

Operty1

Quote from: Replies From View on February 02, 2020, 02:10:24 PM
As part of the "News for Ians" sketches.

I'm surprised by how much he seems to be morphing into Tony Slattery.

Interesting you should bring up Tony Slattery, Iain interviewed him for the radio show and it's quite uncomfortable stuff as Tony turned up not sober.

https://player.fm/series/the-late-night-alternative-with-iain-lee/the-late-night-alternative-with-iain-lee-bonus-podcast-tony-slattery-features-frank-discussion-of-mental-illness-and-addiction

Replies From View

Has Tony Slattery turned up for any interview sober?

Operty1

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 12:04:59 PM
Don't know Iain Lee beyond the fact Bob Mortimer called up his show a few times as a man who runs fast, he has a bit of banter with Limmy and he was on celebrity jungle. Is he actually funny or a bit of a div?

He's not a div. And yes, he's funny. He's a good egg.