Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Normal flawed guy on a public journey of growth. I like him

Dewt

In the early 2000s I drew a MS Paint picture of a device that could extract his full skull from his head via his mouth

the

Tony Slattery talks like that whether sober or not BTW. It's an understatement to say he hasn't escaped unscathed from his troubles. He's still a witty funny interesting bloke though. We've had plenty of 'wor look at the state of Tony Slattery lads' talk on here before, and thoroughly voyeuristic and unpleasant it was too.

Ham Bap

Yeah Slattery is on a lot of medication.
Very heart warming that interview.

I'd recommend anyone listen to Iain Lee's radio show.
It's always a good listen. He's a good fella.

bgmnts

I never watched the 11 o'clock show, late 90s I was young enough for South Park and Simpsons , but god this is shite except the Ali G stuff.

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 07:23:17 PM
I never watched the 11 o'clock show, late 90s I was young enough for South Park and Simpsons , but god this is shite except the Ali G stuff.

This is the problem with him planning to do an in-depth review of every episode. There must not be a single person on the planet who wants to sit through every single episode of The 11 O'Clock Show. Besides Ali G it was really weak, mean-spirited stuff. As he himself recognises, it has aged terribly. Lee has rehabilitated himself since then but it's really not a surprise everyone thought he was a dick and he was shorthand for appalling comedy during the late '90s and early '00s when this is all he was known for.

chveik

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2020, 06:02:31 PM
He's not a div. And yes, he's funny. He's a good egg.
I wrote on a show for him that, though recorded (6 eps) was never shown. But he bought me and the other writers a bottle of champagne each.  So his egg is good in my books.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 02, 2020, 07:52:30 PM
I wrote on a show for him that, though recorded (6 eps) was never shown. But he bought me and the other writers a bottle of champagne each.  So his egg is good in my books.

Was that the Crook & Lee sketch show? And if so, does that mean you were present when the infamous cock and balls song was created?

It was "The First Television Show", a sort of of Room 101 type thing where this week's guest would be asked about their First... [whatevers]. Channel Four hated it and it got binned.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Where's that clip of him and Worzel Detectorist in top hat and tails singing about how big their cocks are? Come on CaB, pick up the pace!

Dewt

Quote from: Dewt on February 02, 2020, 06:05:02 PM
In the early 2000s I drew a MS Paint picture of a device that could extract his full skull from his head via his mouth
So I guess we've been on a journey of discovery together

Operty1

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotewhen this is all he was known for.

He was also known at the time for fronting the replacement for the big breakfast, RI:SE. Not even the first crack at it but the reboot of RI:SE that went back to actually being the Big Breakfast in format but done on the first floor of a city building, all bland and 00s but still with Mel and Sue for a bit.

My brush with stardom: I was in a few races with him one afternoon on Midtown Madness 3 on Xbox Live.

imitationleather

I guess he also did Thumb Bandits which, aside from the Loaded-era laddism pun title, wasn't bad.

RI:SE was indeed awful, and another example of Lee being involved in a TV programme where no one producing it seemed to think it was worth putting any effort in. I seem to remember that by the time it was on the final reboot they were just spending the entire two hour running time talking about whatever reality TV show had been on the night before. That point in time was a really weird era where all these comedy and entertainment shows were being pumped out by people who appeared to have complete contempt for the format and the people who they thought might be watching such shite. Despite having a nice job in telly they really gave off the impression they were hating every second of it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2020, 06:02:31 PM
He's not a div. And yes, he's funny. He's a good egg.

Alright, but what kind of egg?

You lose points if you say that Kinder Eggs are a kind of egg.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 02, 2020, 08:37:40 PM
It was "The First Television Show", a sort of of Room 101 type thing where this week's guest would be asked about their First... [whatevers]. Channel Four hated it and it got binned.

I'm enormously disappointed as I thought you might somehow have footage of the Crook & Lee series, but thanks for the info anyway. :)

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 02, 2020, 10:42:10 PM
He was also known at the time for fronting the replacement for the big breakfast, RI:SE. Not even the first crack at it but the reboot of RI:SE that went back to actually being the Big Breakfast in format but done on the first floor of a city building, all bland and 00s but still with Mel and Sue for a bit.

My brush with stardom: I was in a few races with him one afternoon on Midtown Madness 3 on Xbox Live.

I remember thinking RI:SE was quite fun during his time on the show, and was disappointed when it came to an end.

non capisco

I fear covering every episode may not be a healthy experience for a man with such self-flagellating mental tendencies as Lee, particularly once it gets to the really obnoxiously toned series when he was by his own admission a raging cokehead prick. I'd quite like to see one of the episodes with Mackenzie Crook as a foil though, just in case he mentions 'The Cock Song'.

imitationleather

I just looked. There are 144 episodes of The 11 O'Clock Show. I guess some are from that final series Iain Lee wasn't in, but still!

sutin

Quote from: imitationleather on February 03, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
There are 144 episodes of The 11 O'Clock Show.
My lord, we may have to stage an online intervention at some point.

gilbertharding

Don't forget CaB favourite Ricky Gervaise appeared on the 11 o'clock show - playing (IIRC) a 'character'.

Puce Moment

My main memory of the 11 O'Clock show was Gervais using the green screen to superimpose himself next to Iain Lee with his finger poking through his fly so that it looked like he was going to put his pug-nosed penis in the guy's mouth.

Brilliant!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 03, 2020, 11:02:04 AM
Don't forget CaB favourite Ricky Gervaise appeared on the 11 o'clock show - playing (IIRC) a 'character'.

Was he liked on here back then? When did the tide turn on him, was it around Extras time?

I can't remember what he did on it but Gervais was entertaining (to me and my friends) at the time, probably shit to watch now.

I definitely remember my mate insisting we watch The Office which was being trailed on BBC2 cos it had that guy from the 11 O'Clock show on it.

imitationleather

I remember Gervais saying lots of really offensive stuff and Donovan and Lee pretending to be all disgusted, which seemed a bit rich considering the kind of things they were joking about during the rest of the show.

It entertained me at the time, but I was thirteen years old. Hopefully I'd be appalled now.

The more I think about the tone of the humour on T11OCS the more I feel pissed off that it was broadcast. It really represents how bad and lazy Channel 4 comedy got from '98 onwards.

the

Quote from: imitationleather on February 03, 2020, 02:59:00 PMThe more I think about the tone of the humour on T11OCS the more I feel pissed off that it was broadcast. It really represents how bad and lazy Channel 4 comedy got from '98 onwards.

It lives entirely in the wake of Brass Eye - I think the 11OCS really was the most immediate and wrongheaded next move from Talkback and C4. All they've gleaned from BE is 'hey, Chris Morris wound some people up and was a bit rude, C4 is our sweet shop where we can all do that now'.

I mean it's in the form of 'a topical comedy show' for a start, which had long been a known codeword for 'a load of thrown-together shit'.