Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Blue Jam transcript

Started by bawlingfartravine, February 27, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi folks,

I recently completed my undergraduate literature dissertation on Blue Jam. As part of the work I produced a new transcript of every episode, and since the diss has now been marked, here is the transcript for your perusal. I've also included schemata I produced to help navigate the text.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MZEGr_oysNMJlpvjoqOf9tKyje77GW_M
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y5429sCNy2ajg7B-LvoDREj17uckcRkO

Enjoy!

(If anybody is interested in reading the dissertation itself, please contact me directly.)

Barry Admin

Thank! Mind if I archive it on the main site with credit as I get it rebuilt here?

Of course you can Barry, no worries

Barry Admin

Cheers mate. Looking forward to reading the dissertation.

the

Fuck me, that must have taken you ages. Impressive work, will be invaluable in future 👍

Chriddof

This is excellent work. But I've noticed a couple of minor errors so far:

QuoteNEWSREADER: Well, Cissons doesn't need them. I need
the berries, why's he gonna get the berries?

The above bit from Series 1, Episode 2. "Cissons" would be "Sissons", as in Peter Sissons the late BBC newsreader.

When you dream be dream, but only of a gloomy lobtoast
(FEMALE COMPUTER VOICE: I'm sad. And unhappy.)

From the intro of Series 1, Epsiode 3. Not a computer voice, but a manipulated sample from Beck's 1994 single "Beercan", a favourite track of his from the time of his Radio 1 shows. You can hear the sample unaltered here in the official video at 2:16 in.

the

Quote from: Chriddof on February 29, 2020, 11:13:55 AMFrom the intro of Series 1, Epsiode 3. Not a computer voice, but a manipulated sample from Beck's 1994 single "Beercan", a favourite track of his from the time of his Radio 1 shows. You can hear the sample unaltered here in the official video at 2:16 in.

Furthermore, it's a sample from a Care Bears LP.

The track is here, sample is 22 seconds in.

Well spotted! I did realise about the sample while listening to the Music Show but was far too close to the deadline at the time to update it. I'll update my working documents going forward if any more inaccuracies come to light. I'll make the sample just 'female voice', however, it just struck me the best way to reflect the provenance of different samples would be an annotated version of the transcript with all these little details; more than I've steam left to produce unfortunately! But perhaps better produced collaboratively anyway.

Captain Z

Great work. Seems petty to nitpick but I'm fairly sure "Kevin Greening farts like a sax", as in saxophone, not a saxon.

Are you sure, Captain Z? Listen carefully to this clip:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rOx8biF89mabkV0rkqUKPySJlo_E7CMc

There seems to me to be two distinct syllables there. But it's not as though there isn't room for differences in opinion, given the editing style.