Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Genesis tour 2020?

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2020, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 21, 2021, 03:00:28 PM
I saw Wishbone Ash do Live Dates back in the early-mid 00s, so there's at least one other example.

EDIT - oh and Dweezil Zappa has toured Roxy & Elsewhere.  There was talk of him doing Live In New York as well, but nowt's come of that yet.

Thanks. I'd never considered it an option for artists, but I suppose it makes sense. Live albums can be iconic and they're often how fans first got into someone.

Frampton Comes Alive Comes Alive in 2022?

popcorn

Quote from: SteveDave on September 22, 2021, 09:15:33 AM
If he's sat down singing will his son do the "I Can't Dance" dance? But Seriously, "Jesus He Knows" came on my iPod the other day and that's an A1 banger. Reggae breakdown and all.

Fuckinell.
Spoiler alert
I've just seen that they did "I Can't Dance" for the encore in Birmingham. I hope there was some gallows humour from Phil beforehand.
[close]

From the Guardian review:

Quotehe mockingly points to himself when I Can't Dance reaches the line about having "a perfect body with a perfect face"

video here: https://youtu.be/UcZmvxSZJMw?t=210

Echo Valley 2-6809

Decent review, that - and no sneering.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: olliebean on September 21, 2021, 08:37:58 PM
Is Phil as chatty between songs as he used to be? When I saw them back in the 80s, they could have fitted in a couple more songs by cutting Phil's lengthy bits of audience interaction.

Yes.  It's a big part of Genesis history though, right back to the beginning when Peter Gabriel was telling stories to pass the time whilst the band were re-tuning.  I think most fans would be quite put out if they didn't get the summoning the dark spirits from the OTHER WORLD or the Domino Principle in action treatment.

Quote from: popcorn on September 22, 2021, 03:31:41 PM
From the Guardian review:

He's always done that with that song live though, so it wasn't really about his current issues.  But he is definitely aware of those issues - at one point he said that Mike Rutherford would be taking over on lead vocals from the next night (which is doubly amusing - gallows humour about his own state AND a burn about Rutherford's appalling singing voice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQdFRRo9UE).

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 22, 2021, 03:43:29 PM
Decent review, that - and no sneering.
This bit struck me as a bit miserable, though:
Quoteone gentleman of a certain age is so moved by the opening chords of That's All, he leaps to his feet and starts dancing in the aisles, filming himself for posterity on his phone, before the ushers firmly direct him back to his seat.
I mean, I haven't danced in public for at least two decades, and never, to my knowledge, to Genesis. But it's a poor fucking show if no-one can actually get up and groove[nb]If only Genesis had recorded a song with an apposite title. I'd have a great punchline.[/nb].

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on September 22, 2021, 09:42:11 PM
If only Genesis had recorded a song with an apposite title. I'd have a great punchline.

Dancing with the Spotlit Nit
. (Yes, I know.)

TheMonk

So I've had a good look at the load of YouTube footage of the Birmingham shows, and there's a lot.
It's true Phil looks pretty tired.
But where Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger could definitely not pull it off in this state, leaning uncomfortably in a chair all night, he's the only rock star I can think of that can get away with it. Purely because he was never glitzy pants and silly moves. He was always the Everyman. Almost an anti pop star. Turning up to the Band Aid recording looking like the plumber. It was never about the prancing about for Phil. In fact when you look back at the 80s footage now, when he does it's quite unbecoming.
In his old age he suits being planted in a chair in a tracksuit top, like he's about to watch the football.
It's odd but it fits somehow. With his son banging away in his spot.
Technically it shouldn't work. But it bloody well does.
He just needs to get those pipes in order a little bit more.
I think that will come as the shows progress.
Keep at it fellas.

SweetPomPom

First 2 Brum shows are on Dime, I had a quick listen to the 2nd and once you get used to the lower key he sounds better than I expected.

Still counting down the days and crossing my fingers though.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: TheMonk on September 23, 2021, 05:04:04 PM
In his old age he suits being planted in a chair in a tracksuit top, like he's about to watch the football.
'Send 'im off, Ref
Where are your specs, Ref?
Kick you to death, Ref
Oi! Are you deaf Ref?'

No chance of that being sung. I think it's the Genesis song Collins hates the most.

Natnar

I'm guessing there's nothing from Calling All Stations on the setlist then since Mike Rutherford & Tony Banks seem to have airbrushed that album out of the bands history.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Natnar on September 24, 2021, 06:36:09 AM
I'm guessing there's nothing from Calling All Stations on the setlist then since Mike Rutherford & Tony Banks seem to have airbrushed that album out of the bands history.

Correct.  I still rather like it (and would always take it over 1983's Genesis [yes, Home By The Sea IS a bona fide classic, but not on the album it isn't...]) and the gig I went to on that tour is still in my top 10 gigs.  But I'm in a VERY small minority.

SweetPomPom

No Abacab either which is a bit more of a surprise.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SweetPomPom on September 24, 2021, 11:54:38 AM
No Abacab either which is a bit more of a surprise.

It was rehearsed (as was Los Endos), but Phil said quite early on in rehearsals that for the mostpart they decided not to do many songs where drums were the main focus (which I'm pretty sure is where the rumours of it being an acoustic only tour came from).  I can only presume it was more because it was too upsetting for him rather than Nic not being up to the challenge (which he very very clearly is).

Rizla

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 23, 2021, 09:00:17 PM
'Send 'im off, Ref
Where are your specs, Ref?
Kick you to death, Ref
Oi! Are you deaf Ref?'

No chance of that being sung. I think it's the Genesis song Collins hates the most.
I love that song, it's totally charming-makes me sad Phil's so down on it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rizla on September 24, 2021, 12:31:47 PM
I love that song, it's totally charming-makes me sad Phil's so down on it.

Primarily because it was his first attempt at writing lyrics on his own and, on comparing with the quality of the lyrics on the rest of the album, felt suitably embarrassed by it.  I think had he written it a few years later he might've been more positive about it.

iamcoop

I totally forgot about this tour until I was ambling down the quayside in Newcastle earlier this afternoon, did a double take and said to my partner "I think that's Mike Rutherford we just walked past."

They're playing here tomorrow so if anyone wants to stalk him he's probably drinking shit ale at the Tyne Bar.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: iamcoop on September 29, 2021, 06:16:10 PM
I totally forgot about this tour until I was ambling down the quayside in Newcastle earlier this afternoon, did a double take and said to my partner "I think that's Mike Rutherford we just walked past."

They're playing here tomorrow so if anyone wants to stalk him he's probably drinking shit ale at the Tyne Bar.

Where we were sat in Birmingham was right next to the sound and lights control "centre", and for pretty much the entire gig and about half an hour preceding it, stood almost within arm's reach of me was their manager Tony Smith.  Now, unless you were a VERY big and longstanding fan you wouldn't have a fucking clue who he is, but for me it was the closest I will ever get to them (although I have met and talked to Bill Bruford).

PaulTMA

Just saw them in Glasgow and was incredibly pleasantly surprised.  Was a bit nervous as during the second song, Turn It On Again, the backing singers were trading lines with him, although during the remainder of the show he was more than capable of singing bits which I would have assumed were equally if not more challenging. Also, he skipped straight to the outro, forgetting the second verse, but somehow got himself back on track and covered that verse in its entirety when he realised.  I was pretty much blubbing my eyes out for the first half-hour, for whatever reasons.  The transition from Fading Lights to Cinema Show (I think?) was awkward as fuck though.  I don't care, I've never seen them before and I was expecting something far, far worse based on that BBC footage from recently.  I'm just gutted that the yanks got Ripples.  Absolutely loved it.

Remaining gigs in Glasgow and London have been postponed due to positive COVID 19 tests within the band, according to their Facebook page.

And then, some ominous looking comments underneath:

Can anyone here confirm?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Darles Chickens on October 08, 2021, 02:21:54 PM
Remaining gigs in Glasgow and London have been postponed due to positive COVID 19 tests within the band, according to their Facebook page.

And then, some ominous looking comments underneath:

Can anyone here confirm?

Dunno about Mike and Tony "having words", but the rest is true - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6_LMyJ12g  Tony leaves the stage WELL in advance of everyone else.  Difficult to make out whether he waved before leaving due to the bright light and poor quality of the vid.  Probs just cos of covid.

SweetPomPom

FFS, literally only had days to go. Everything I've had that's been rescheduled has been pushed back at least 6 months.

PaulTMA

Tony did wave on the way out, I managed to not even noticed anything was amiss at the time but hadn't realised there was a big bow with all 7 then the three principals on the other dates.

Bennett Brauer

A falling-out seems unlikely and, like SGN said, even if it's not Pip, Ant and Mickey (big fan here) who has it, they still can't be arm in arm at the end.
Banks does seem to have jumped the gun on his exit though.
No, no, no, this can't go on. This will be all that I fled from. Let me rest for a while.

It's also a pity that it's come now when Phil's getting his voice and confidence back, having got through the worst part of the media and public scrutiny.

TheMonk

Apparently something affected those people over there, then affected those people over there, then the people down here, then the people on stage.

SweetPomPom

Seems daft to start a new thread but finally got to see them tonight and, unsurprisingly, a few numbers in they announced they're done - no more shows.

Much better than expected though, Collins voice sounded much stronger that the early stuff I heard from the tour.
Domino was a dog though, far too slow and tuned down.
Banks was a misery guts all night but everyone else seemed quite chipper.

PaulTMA

I was there.  I spotted Jimmy Page down the front which is not something you see every day.  Presumably Phil is 'forgiven' for Live Aid now.

the science eel

Swoz_MK

Went on Friday, was bloody lovely. Ending with a bit of Dancing With the Moonlit Knight into carpet Crawlers and seeing our little mate in his chair doing amazingly well nearly 3hrs in was enough to set me off.

gilbertharding