Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat)

Started by Blinder Data, March 03, 2020, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The thing we must all remember is that Chris Chibnall will continue to have a successful career in television. What a world.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on August 09, 2021, 10:08:47 PM
Has to be this.

That one made me laugh, but it does imply a certain amount of affection for the outgoing hack. Obviously not the intention, but we've all seen the weepy film.

Perhaps we should call it Off You Fuck, Chinballs.

olliebean

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 09, 2021, 05:45:34 PMPersonally I would be very surprised if the BBC had the balls to take Doctor Who out of South Wales - there would be a huge uproar. But Wainwright would be a brilliant appointment.

I don't remember a huge uproar when it was rumoured to be moving to Manchester a few years back.

Midas

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2021, 07:37:01 PM
RTD had his CBBC sci-fi and fantasy dramas, and Moffat had Curse of the Fatal Death and his more fantastical episodes of Coupling - and of course, both had New Adventures stories to their name.

I don't think Moffat wrote a VNA actually.

crankshaft

Quote from: Midas on August 09, 2021, 10:23:25 PM
I don't think Moffat wrote a VNA actually.

No, just a story ("Continuity Errors") in one of Virgin's Decalog series of DW short stories.

purlieu

He's also thanked by Paul Cornell in the start of the first Benny New Adventure as one of the "without whom this book wouldn't exist" people. Wasn't aware he was quite so involved in the franchise at the time.

Midas

Quote from: crankshaft on August 09, 2021, 10:43:12 PM
No, just a story ("Continuity Errors") in one of Virgin's Decalog series of DW short stories.

Didn't know that, nice!

Midas

I'm probably just in "one of those moods" but...

TW: indignant shit-stirring of an odious little shit someone in their mid-twenties

...in general, I would like the BBC to embolden their corporation by meaningfully supporting new talent rather than providing an endless revolving carrousel for incestuous toffs and mediocre middle-aged jobbing writers to churn out gristle-filled sausages for priggish geriatrics.

With that in mind I find it soul-calcifyingly gloomy to imagine that the BBC's plan "for the new generation of Doctor Who" is to get a seasoned professional writer approaching their 60s to take the reins. It'd be like if, during the penalties at the Euro 2020 final, Gareth Southgate wheeled out, I dunno - I know nowt about football and can't be bothered to look up old footballers so I don't know why I even mentioned it - a load of old raisins or summat.

I'd like somebody with their career ahead of them to take on the mantle.

And no, I'm not being ageist, I ALWAYS buy my books from Help The Aged, even when the same books can be found in Save The Children with cleaner pages.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 09, 2021, 09:18:54 PM
I was thinking the other day about how it would be good if Faye Marsay was the next Doctor, after her character Shona got bumped from being a companion when Jenna Coleman did an extra series. She's very good, and another blonde northerner too.

Have Big Finish done series with "nearly but not quite" alternate companions yet? Sara Griffiths from Delta & The Bannermen, Pauline Collins from The Faceless Ones, you could string this one out for years Briggsy, put my cheque in the post.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2021, 10:14:38 PM
That one made me laugh, but it does imply a certain amount of affection for the outgoing hack. Obviously not the intention, but we've all seen the weepy film.

Perhaps we should call it Off You Fuck, Chinballs.

Definitely agree that 'Goodbye, Mr Chibs' gives off undertones that are too affectionate, as if we'd be missing him.  A fun pun, but it's not appropriate.

We don't need to reflect on Chibnall at all in the new thread title.  Onwards!

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2021, 10:38:52 PM
This is the best one.

If this is the general consensus then can we at least settle on Fuck Off, Mr Chibs?

Or Ballad of Ballard Berkley's Off You Fuck, Chinballs?

daf

Quote from: The Roofdog on August 10, 2021, 08:59:59 AM
Have Big Finish done series with "nearly but not quite" alternate companions yet?

Box set with four stories featuring Senator Hame :

QuoteFour adventures from the New Earth setting of TV's episodes The End of the World, New Earth and Gridlock:

Post-Gridlock, Senator Hame is working to restore her home. The cities, forests and skies teem with strange and wonderful species. Some trace their ancestry back to Old Earth, others came later, but all have their own agendas, and their rivalries.
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/tales-from-new-earth-1683]

Replies From View

We're also not at series 13 yet, so it would probably be 12C and we can save 'Off You Fuck, Chinballs' or whatever until 2022

Mister Six

Chinny reckoning?

EDIT: Wait, his name isn't actually Chinballs. :(

Chairman Yang

Badbye, Mr. Chibs
The Final Chibnail in the Chibcoffin
Passion of the Chris
Chibbed to the Post
Ko Long, and Thanks for All the Sharmus
Spyfall

Alberon

Replies From View

samadriel

Whaaaa? I love that story! Brilliant take on the "sinister manipulator" Doctor. I'm sad that Moffat fed us that RTD-esque crap about the world's corpse becoming Cybermen when he once had stories like Continuity Errors in him. Ah well, nobody's perfect, nor does their creative well last forever.

mjwilson

Plus the Gallifrey bits of Human Nature I think.

Thomas

As proud namer of the current thread, a couple of suggestions for the next one:

Doctor Who series 13: The cut of your Chib

or

Doctor Who series 13: Wearing a bit Chin'

mjwilson

Quote from: Thomas on August 12, 2021, 09:32:01 PM
As proud namer of the current thread, a couple of suggestions for the next one:

Doctor Who series 13: The cut of your Chib

or

Doctor Who series 13: Wearing a bit Chin'

You are too late by a couple of days.