Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Sopranos Podcast

Started by Keebleman, April 07, 2020, 11:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

A new Sopranos podcast going through the series episode by episode.  The big draw with this one is that it is hosted by Michael Imperioli who played Chris and Steve Schirripa who played Bobby.  Just one edition is up so far and it was recorded under lockdown conditions with the hosts three thousand miles apart.  Not ideal circs, but it's perfectly listenable.  A more serious problem that may persist when things get back to normal is that Schirripa's enthusiasm leads him to interrupt Imperioli constantly, and he is just not as interesting.  Obviously the two of them have loads of anecdotes about the show, but there is nothing very novel in their insights.

In fact there may be an even more serious problem: at one point Imperioli says, "Sorry but I'm sick, that's why I sound like this."  There's no follow-up question from Schirripa - another hint that he might not be ideal for this sort of project - so we're all just left hoping that they'll reach episode 2.

checkoutgirl

I saw a poster for a live version of this they were doing a few weeks ago in Dublin. Really wanted to go but the ticket prices were eye watering. Hundred odd quid and they were flogging meet and greets too. It came off looking like a big cash grab which put me off going. Maybe their careers have gone off the boil so they're doing this purely as career move.

Schnapple

Quote from: Keebleman on April 07, 2020, 11:02:51 PMIn fact there may be an even more serious problem: at one point Imperioli says, "Sorry but I'm sick, that's why I sound like this."  There's no follow-up question from Schirripa - another hint that he might not be ideal for this sort of project - so we're all just left hoping that they'll reach episode 2.

He's been messing with that H again.

I enjoyed it, but it's my favourite show of all time, and I'm always thirsty for any new trivia or insight. Agreed that Schirripa needs to mellow out a little, but I liked how he lead the interview, presumably recognising his partner is the more significant draw. Incidentally, I hope Imperioli isn't properly ill, because he seems like a really smart and thoughtful guy.

Agreed that the tour tickets were far too expensive, so this is a pleasant alternative. Weird hearing Bobby talk up the sturdiness of Bose headphones, though.

Bazooka

I keep seeing it pop up at me on the tuber, I will eventually watch it and should,as it's the greatest tv drama in history.

colacentral

I'm on episode 4 now and it's better than I was expecting; looking forward to later episodes, especially if they can get guests like Terrence Winter and Chase himself like they've hinted.

It's interesting that Imperioli suggests the recurring 3pm's having a real meaning. I always thought it was an arbitrary time or a coincidence until the Paulie psychic scene, at which point it became an in-joke with no other purpose behind it. I can't tell if Imperioli is joking around during the podcast but it seems like he's not. Is it that Tony is killed from the 3 o'clock position? I don't believe that David Chase would have had that in mind as early as season 1; indeed I'm sure I've read that he had the final scene in mind and was working towards it from season 4.

Custard

Weirdly, Drea DeMatteo has started her own identical podcast

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts--Culture-Podcasts/Made-Women-p1305884/

ALMOST MAKES YOU WISH THE TWO TEAMS WOULD COMBINE THEIR EFFORTS AND MAKE A REALLY GOOD PODCAST, DOESN'T IT

colacentral

Imperioli is great, it's just Schirripa trying to rush through the recaps and engaging with the material on such a superficial level that lets it down. Hopefully the more he talks to Imperioli the more he'll get into the habit of digging a bit deeper.

It's a good waste of an hour anyway, essentially a series of audio commentaries that we never got with a load of new interviews thrown in as a bonus.

willy crossit

https://twitter.com/shuttsapalooza/status/1257745526461734912?s=21

A clip from a recent episode - Imperioli talking about the Royle Family :)

peanutbutter

Schirripa is probably the last person I'd think of to pair with Imperioli on this, he's surely just as boring as Bobby? An absolute car crash of a show with Tony Sirico sounds better.

Custard

It'd surely be better and more informative to have one of the main writers involved, too

Bobby was a good character, but he didn't even turn up til the third season, did he?

So basically a much better podcast would be Imperioli, DeMatteo, and a writer!

mr. logic

Were the lines that David Chase contributed to the latest one a piss take? They were so cheesy and bad, and it feels like the type of joke Chase would enjoy.

colacentral

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 06, 2020, 01:52:58 PM
It'd surely be better and more informative to have one of the main writers involved, too

Bobby was a good character, but he didn't even turn up til the third season, did he?

The second season.

Quote from: mr. logic on May 06, 2020, 05:46:19 PM
Were the lines that David Chase contributed to the latest one a piss take? They were so cheesy and bad, and it feels like the type of joke Chase would enjoy.

I didn't think it was that bad, no doubt hampered by the complete non-committal of Imperioli's delivery and the poor audio.

Quote from: willy crossit on May 06, 2020, 01:17:09 PM
https://twitter.com/shuttsapalooza/status/1257745526461734912?s=21

A clip from a recent episode - Imperioli talking about the Royle Family :)

That TV discussion was good until they started singing the praises of Gervais and After Life.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 06, 2020, 01:52:58 PM
He's in season one a little iirc and he's  in season two a good bit, he wore a fat suit for both seasons though so I wouldn't blame you for thinking it was a different much fatter man.

paruses

Only listened to the first few minutes of the first one and they sound really depresses and seem to be taking the corona virus pandemic very very personally. Will persevere though as I do love most things Soprano. Will try and seek out the Drea one too.

Made me just check my podcast feed and I see No F*ckin Ziti have now had the time to get through the last few episodes so will give those a listen.

Keebleman

Just heard the first episode of Made Women, Drea de Matteo's podcast, and I think it's better. There's a lot of annoying banter at the start but once you're past it the analysis is more interesting, esp when she brings in her memories of growing up in a vaguely mob-connected home. And hearing her sign off as Adriana is funny.

Custard

Puce Moment

After finishing my first rewatch in 2007, I am now back on the The Sopranos. I can assure those that have not seen it for some time that it really is special. These podcasts kicking off us just beautiful.

Anyone else watching again?

poo

Yep - up to series 4. Third time round and it's still amazing. Gandolfini was a genius.

Are any of us holding out much hope for The Many Saints of Newark? Do you all remember what it a like to sit in those massive reclining seats they have at The Light Cinemas. In my one they allow you to bring cans in sat with 4 1 pint cans of stella for 1917......back in the day     *sigh*

paruses

Briefly discussed in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=65790.0

I agree with the sentiments namely: the flashback scenes in the series were shit so hope it's not like that.

Puce Moment

Just finished season 2 and can honestly say that those two seasons are incredible - almost perfect. I have noticed so many things that just flew by me when I first watched this.

The final episode when they kill Pussy is fucking great.

Bazooka

It's Tony's delivery of "Hey puss, did she even really exist?" that cuts through the air.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Bazooka on June 01, 2020, 01:39:55 AM
It's Tony's delivery of "Hey puss, did she even really exist?" that cuts through the air.

Yeah, it snaps Puss out of his diversionary reverie and the reality of his impending, certain death becomes a horrible reality.

Custard

Finally getting round to this podcast, and mainly watching the videos on YouTube.

It can be really awkward at times, as the two hosts clearly don't get on very well, but this also adds even more entertainment value

Especially enjoyed the interviews with David Chase, Annabella Sciorra, Ariel Kiley, Steve Buschemi, and Aida Turturro. Really fascinating stuff

Bazooka

You don't think they get on?  They like ribbing each other, perhaps them being in different locations creates a sense of unease.

I watch the interviews before I start work, but don't often listen to their episode recap. It's certainly gotten better as it's gone on, it's the best we are going to get as fans.

Custard

I don't know honestly, it just seems really strained and awkward between them a lot of the time

Like there was a moment in one of them when Michael misheard what Steve said, and Steve thought he was taking the piss out of his accent and got quite serious about it

Then if you watch when they have a guest they don't seem to be enjoying it when the other one of them is talking. In fact, they look like they're just holding back on rolling their eyes a lot of the time. They also never talk to or acknowledge each other whilst the guest is on, just take turns to ask questions

It's a small gripe, but to me it does seem like there's a fair bit of tension in the air at times

Bazooka

Yes certainly it's odd at times, I do think they like each other, but yes it goes from digs and laughing to dead pan in a split second, Michael more so.  I am assuming they don't refer to each other much and take turns speaking to the guest, in order to reduce talking over each other, they have a producer they can hear also, again I think if they were actually next to each other it would be different.

Often Steve will look fed up when, and this happens often, Michael will be talking about the different drama schools he and the said actor went to. This is akin to you being the third wheel so to speak, when your friend is talking about times gone by to their friend, that you don't know and are left standing there channeling this awkward acceptance.

mr. logic

I really enjoy this but thought the David Chase interview was a missed opportunity. At one point he was about to open up about The Russian and Michael interrupted, and then when he was trying to talk about The Ride it was obvious neither of them had much to push him on with and it died on the vine. (The guy moved or something.) There seemed to be a little bit of tension between Imperioli and Chase and it was interesting that the latter was less than fulsome about Gandolfini.