Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropshadow

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 25, 2020, 12:45:28 PM
Book SPOILERS ahoy -

I gave up on Children of Dune halfway through, but I do want to read God Emperor because of its reputation as the craziest and possibly the best one. The TV adaption might be my bridge towards it.

It's not much of a bridge as there's a gap of three and a half thousand years between them, but you should try to read or watch CoD anyways.

======

I was thinking of Lynch's Dune today and My favourite bit of bad dialogue (between Agent Cooper and Ed Hurley)........

Paul: "Stilgar? Do we have wormsign?"
Stilgar: "We have wormsign, the likes of which even GAAAAAAAAHD has never seen!"

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 25, 2020, 10:07:46 PM
I don't know, this promo pic was perfectly accurate to the film, wasn't it? Harrison Ford was 'costumed' in jeans and a T-shirt.

My wife didn't put her hands over her ears the entire time she looked at that image though.

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 25, 2020, 10:46:51 PM
Bleh. It's one of the blandest looking films I've ever seen.

I feel like it's acceptable to disagree stylistically with the bleak dystopian minimalism as a choice, but to go so far as to call it actually bland seems pretty unfair. I don't think it's the best movie ever or anything, but I do think they made a decent fist of setting a mood and sense of time misplaced.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Bence Fekete on April 26, 2020, 01:47:27 AM

Teal and Orange.

Teal and Orange.

Teal and fucking, fucking Orange.

beanheadmcginty

Has Jim Bob deliberately chosen a teal and orange avatar?

greenman

I would point out those shots aren't really teal and orange either, some are teal and some are orange but not within the same frame, the film doesn't tend to push skin tones heavily towards orange either outside of scenes were orange as a whole isn't pushed strongly.

NoSleep

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 26, 2020, 02:19:56 AM
Teal and Orange.

Teal and Orange.

You edited out the magenta and beige.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Teal and Orange.

Teal and Orange.

Teal or orange.

Jim Bob

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2020, 07:01:44 AM
I would point out those shots aren't really teal and orange either, some are teal and some are orange but not within the same frame, the film doesn't tend to push skin tones heavily towards orange either outside of scenes were orange as a whole isn't pushed strongly.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 26, 2020, 12:40:49 PM
Teal or orange.

Aye, but it still bothered me.  I didn't care for the aesthetic of Blade Runner 2049 at all.  Monotone visuals rarely do anything for me (I disliked Mad Max: Fury Road for the same reason - I always crank down the colour to black & white when watching the film now, as Miller originally intended.  It's looks amazing that way).

greenman

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 26, 2020, 04:09:01 PM
Aye, but it still bothered me.  I didn't care for the aesthetic of Blade Runner 2049 at all.  Monotone visuals rarely do anything for me (I disliked Mad Max: Fury Road for the same reason - I always crank down the colour to black & white when watching the film now, as Miller originally intended.  It's looks amazing that way).

I would say it is rather a different movement though to typical Hollywood teal and orange, more as you say minimalism and colour grading although I liked 2049 more than his previous films visually as there was still some character from the original.

You know there is actually an official release of Fury Road done by Miller in black and white? its more than just simple desaturation which can end up quite flat looking as monochrome generally plays up contrast anb certain colours as needed.

Jim Bob

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2020, 05:25:56 PM
You know there is actually an official release of Fury Road done by Miller in black and white? its more than just simple desaturation which can end up quite flat looking as monochrome generally plays up contrast anb certain colours as needed.

Aye, I'm aware of that but don't really fancy paying for another copy on Blu-Ray, just to get that option.  Whenever I do a hatchet job myself, I not only lower the colour but also adjust the contrast and brightness.  It's a universal setting obviously, so not ideal but it still looks magnificent (and is infinitely preferable to the ghastly over-saturated orange colour grade that I would otherwise be watching).

bakabaka

Teal and Orange.

Teal and Orange.

The phrase you're looking for is

Tawny and Teal!

Soon to be buddy cops fighting crime in Hollywood where it's harder to identify the victims because they all look the same - Tawny and Teal!

greenman

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 26, 2020, 07:53:25 PM
Aye, I'm aware of that but don't really fancy paying for another copy on Blu-Ray, just to get that option.  Whenever I do a hatchet job myself, I not only lower the colour but also adjust the contrast and brightness.  It's a universal setting obviously, so not ideal but it still looks magnificent (and is infinitely preferable to the ghastly over-saturated orange colour grade that I would otherwise be watching).

I'm with you in preffering the B&W version but I do think the colour is rather more tasteful that than, almost feels like an attempt to sneak in monochrome via a limited colour palate looking more like the bookends of Stalker at points.

If they ever release the B&W version in UHD you can have my Bluray copy.

Mister Six

Calling BR 2049 visually bland is mindbogglingly wrong.

Quite fancy reading the Dune books. I know Herbert's son or someone took them over after a bit. If I read just the Herbert ones will I get a satisfying self-contained story, or did he die before finishing up his grand arc, and then some lesser talents had to wrap it up?

Dex Sawash

I only read the main Dune one, just 2-3 years ago,  and it didn't require more story I think.
Maybe it was a bit short but seemed complete enough.

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on April 27, 2020, 02:00:40 AM
Calling BR 2049 visually bland is mindbogglingly wrong.

Quite fancy reading the Dune books. I know Herbert's son or someone took them over after a bit. If I read just the Herbert ones will I get a satisfying self-contained story, or did he die before finishing up his grand arc, and then some lesser talents had to wrap it up?

Minimalist would be my description of his style but I felt this was his best looking film by some way as you do have more of a sense of the romantic clunker of the original mixed in with that, I'd hope Dune has some of the same kind of thing as we've not really seen any of the design work for wider locations.

I'd say any of the first 4 books would make a decent stopping point, its the last 2 Hebert books that start a new plot that's left unfinished and picked up by the (not very good) books by his son and Kevin J Anderson(if your Starwars novels are poor I think that's a sign you should be kept away from Dune).

I would say personally the original and Children are clearly the two best books, also the ones he spent the longest time on.

Mister Six

All Surrogate

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 23, 2020, 10:12:35 PMWhat are people's thoughts on the mini-series? I initially stayed away because of its obvious Syfy channel cheapness, but lately I've been thinking of giving it a chance. Seems to take a lot of visual cues from the Lynch film.

Quote from: Dropshadow on April 25, 2020, 10:24:58 AMGood. Much better than the film. There's two series', remember - Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. The second one is the best.

Much better than the film?! You monster. The miniseries are so bland; I cannot recall Hawat at all. At least the film is weird. The second series is a bit better, with James McAvoy making a much better lead, but I can't really remember anything else about it apart from some ropey effects for Edric.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 27, 2020, 02:00:40 AMQuite fancy reading the Dune books. I know Herbert's son or someone took them over after a bit. If I read just the Herbert ones will I get a satisfying self-contained story, or did he die before finishing up his grand arc, and then some lesser talents had to wrap it up?

Don't bother with the ones written by his son and Anderson. They are pulp. I remember in one of them someone uses telekinesis to close a door. Wrong on so many levels.

The Dune Encyclopedia is much more interesting, better written and has sense of humour, even if it is, strictly, non-canon.

As greenman says, stop at the fourth book if you want a fairly 'neat' ending. The final two books end on a cliff-hanger, but I quite like them anyway.

One small point: Dune has a glossary at the back, which I wish I had been aware of when I first read the book. There's also a few short appendicies which are helpful in getting oriented.

greenman

None of the first four books work via cliff hangers, there each self contained stories building on the previous ones.

mjwilson

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 25, 2020, 10:07:46 PM
I don't know, this promo pic was perfectly accurate to the film, wasn't it? Harrison Ford was 'costumed' in jeans and a T-shirt.

I mean,  he didn't even bother to shave for
Spoiler alert
Rise of Skywalker
[close]
. No-one tells Harrison what to wear these days.

Lord Mandrake

This film is going to bomb so hard.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 30, 2020, 12:47:48 AM
This film is going to bomb so hard.

But think of all the film snobs telling you how it was good actually, and the fan re-edits, years and years of it. Look forward to it.

samadriel

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 30, 2020, 12:55:51 AM
But think of all the film snobs telling you how it was good actually, and the fan re-edits, years and years of it. Look forward to it.

I dont mind Villeneuve, I quite liked Sicario, 2049 was ok but it tanked and this doomed shit will basically end him.

samadriel

Lord Mandrake

End him as a big budget director, because like Bladerunner it's a niche/cult property that mass audiences will not give a fuck for. The cast might save it up to a point.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 31, 2020, 12:28:28 PM
End him as a big budget director, because like Bladerunner it's a niche/cult property that mass audiences will not give a fuck for. The cast might save it up to a point.

You never know, LOTR was in the same position with a more unknown cast and look how that turned out.

Lord Mandrake

I mean I don't have printed out statistics but I'd guess that LOTR had a much larger, multi generational fan base that had been eagerly awaiting a film adaptatation for years. Plus it had much broader appeal and came at a time when fantasy films of that ilk were due a renaissance. Obviously Covid will also have a major impact on this.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 31, 2020, 02:19:27 PM
I mean I don't have printed out statistics but I'd guess that LOTR had a much larger, multi generational fan base that had been eagerly awaiting a film adaptatation for years.

I knew quite a few people at the time who couldn't be arsed with "all that elves, dwarves and wizard bollocks" but ended up enjoying all three movies. 
Not saying this is going to reach LOTR level but not sure I'm ready to cast it off as a failure, yet.