Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)

Started by Malcy, May 15, 2020, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

DUDE. We should do a podcast! But yeah, it says something when possibly the best, most rewarding (for fans old or new), most respectful (to the canon/franchise as a whole) outing of nuTrek is a comedic cartoon show nobody had any high hopes for.

I did like Beyond though. It's not without its problems but it's still in my top three.

EDIT: Strange New Page...

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: mothman on March 14, 2021, 12:01:00 AM
DUDE. We should do a podcast! But yeah, it says something when possibly the best, most rewarding (for fans old or new), most respectful (to the canon/franchise as a whole) outing of nuTrek is a comedic cartoon show nobody had any high hopes for.

I did like Beyond though. It's not without its problems but it's still in my top three.

Beyond is quite decent tbf. Only Abramsverse movie where I felt I was actually looking at the TOS crew instead of puppets with the TOS crew's nametags on them. Chris Pine as Kirk is excellent, compared to the high school jock that we got for the first two.

Kurtzman jumped ship before that one, afaik, and Abrams had less involvement than the previous two. Entirely incidental to the quality I'm sure.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on March 14, 2021, 12:01:00 AM
DUDE. We should do a podcast!

Haha yeah, episode 1 could be a pre series premiere chat about how great and promising it looks from the trailers, then episode 2 would be lots of loud angry distorted shouting and calls for Kurtzman's head on a stick!

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on March 14, 2021, 12:07:26 AM
Chris Pine as Kirk is excellent

I was slightly worried about the TOS cast being recast but I thought they were mostly all pretty good. My mum rang me years ago to tell me that she was going to be taking care of Captain Kirk on his few trips through the airport where she worked at the time. I was about to look at flights home to take advantage of the info and meet the legendary Shatner when she said it was going to be Chris Pine to my disappointment!

They had such a laugh together. He may be able to command a starship but was defeated by a self service machine in WH Smith which led to even more hilarity while people oblivious to who he was looked on in confusion! He took his phone out to use it at one point and it was one of those Motorola flip phones and even that was a bit of a technological step too far for him! Said he was a really nice guy, she still has a good old laugh remembering him.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on March 13, 2021, 02:03:07 PM
Surely whenever they end it it will be Pike going to his fate and a CGI Shatner-Kirk getting command.

I'm no fan of Star Warsy CGI grave-robbing but part of the reason they do that is out of respect (sort of) for continuity. So they won't do that. It's not the CBS way. They'll cast some incompetent nobody to play Kirk like they have done for all of our other favourites so far.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on January 02, 1970, 09:52:48 PM
They had such a laugh together. He may be able to command a starship but was defeated by a self service machine in WH Smith which led to even more hilarity while people oblivious to who he was looked on in confusion! He took his phone out to use it at one point and it was one of those Motorola flip phones and even that was a bit of a technological step too far for him! Said he was a really nice guy, she still has a good old laugh remembering him.

That's a lovely story! I like to think he spoke into his flip phone like Shatner used to speak into the communicator.

Malcy

https://trekmovie.com/2021/09/08/meet-the-cast-of-star-trek-strange-new-worlds/

Full cast for the new series. Was surprised they didn't have a trailer ready as it has finished filming. Uhura, Nurse Chapel, Dr Mbenga all returning characters and Christina Chong's character is called La'an Noonien-Singh.

Wonderful Butternut

No trailer is perfect, gave me time to finish my Strange New Worlds Bingo Card before the trailer spoiled some of them for me:

Everyone should make their own.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I would love to know what you people want, honestly.

You know all the hallowed classic Treks are on Netflix and you can just watch them instead.

Lemming

So terrified of this show, because for years I've thought that doing a TOS-era series set on a new ship[nb]close enough[/nb] would be the only/best way to revitalise the franchise, but opportunity to fuck it sideways is immense. Still ultra-cautiously optimistic.

I like the idea of seeing Chapel/M'Benga/Uhura/That Lot on the ship before Kirk arrived to be the groovy cool new-age manager. I just really hope they write their own original stories and it's not just an endless stream of "ooh here's Harry Mudd, ooh now we're meeting Apollo before Kirk did, oop what's that, is that a GORN??"

Quote from: Lemming on September 09, 2021, 07:45:28 PM
So terrified of this show, because for years I've thought that doing a TOS-era series set on a new ship[nb]close enough[/nb] would be the only/best way to revitalise the franchise, but opportunity to fuck it sideways is immense.
Nah, you just set it further into the future than Voyager.

Like, a good bit further.

Like, all the characters from the previous franchises are definitely dead.

And you don't bog yourself down setting it in a previously seen time period and having to observe all the pre-existing lore beyond maybe mentioning the major historical points in passing.

Mobbd

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 07:50:55 PM
Nah, you just set it further into the future than Voyager.

Like, a good bit further.

Like, all the characters from the previous franchises are definitely dead.

And you don't bog yourself down setting it in a previously seen time period and having to observe all the pre-existing lore beyond maybe mentioning the major historical points in passing.

Damn straight.

JamesTC

Bin the whole thing and do HD remasters of DS9 and Voyager FFS.

I was reading up more about the show and apparently it was created because the fan response to seeing Pike, Number One and Spock in Discovery was so great. I think it could work, but only if it's a "what could've been if the original Star Trek pilot hadn't been rejected" show. No referencing anything that happened on Discovery, no foreshadowing Pike's eventual mangling. Just Captain Pike and crew going adventuring and fleshing out characters like Uhura and Dr. M'Benga who didn't get a ton of development in TOS.

But of course they will clumsily foreshadow Pike's eventual mangling right from the beginning because that's what they think the fans expect.

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 09:18:58 PM

But of course they will clumsily foreshadow Pike's eventual mangling right from the beginning because that's what they think the fans expect.

The fans who actually wanted this are probably the sort of fans who don't want that. They are the sort who want single episodic adventures away from grimdark season arcs.

Lemming

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 07:50:55 PM

Agreed that setting a show in the post-Voyager future would be ideal, but I think a TOS-era show could work for similar reasons - Kirk's adventures were all out on the frontier, so there's no logical way to bring them up in a show about a different Constitution-class ship at the same time flying off in a different direction on its own mission of discovery (though I'm sure Kurtzman et al would find a way to do it, somehow).

The TOS era just has the most excitement for me - everything's unexplored and ultra-dangerous, nobody's initially sure what a Romulan even looks like, the relations between the Federation races are still fraught and strained, the occasional suggestion that the Federation might not succeed as a long-term project, all that. Plus the bright colours, ridiculous fashion styles, and psychedelic lighting everywhere. I suppose in the distant post-Voyager future, Starfleet could move out into exploring other galaxies with similar effect.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 09:24:36 PM
The fans who actually wanted this are probably the sort of fans who don't want that. They are the sort who want single episodic adventures away from grimdark season arcs.

I think Anson Mount hinted a while back that Pike learning to deal with the knowledge his face-melting fate would form a part of his character arc, so it'll probably come up every 5 minutes.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 09:24:36 PM
I know, but the people currently helming the franchise are continuing to make prequel and midquel shows and running into the problem of fans knowing the entire canonical lore back to front, sometimes down to the stardate, which means they have to keep track of all that and tie into it. So either they want to make a lore-heavy show to appeal to (who they think are the) hardcore fans, or they're down to make a little bit of fluffy fanfiction in the tone of TOS with characters that already got a good reception from the audience. I feel like it's about a fifty-fifty chance which one it is.

Unless they stupidly decide to do both, resulting in jarring tonal shifts/chunks of episodes being devoted to Pike brooding over Talos IV/dreaming of his inevitable mangling.

Wonderful Butternut

I was reading up more about the show and apparently it was created because the fan response to seeing Pike, Number One and Spock in Discovery was so great. I think it could work, but only if it's a "what could've been if the original Star Trek pilot hadn't been rejected" show. No referencing anything that happened on Discovery, no foreshadowing Pike's eventual mangling. Just Captain Pike and crew going adventuring and fleshing out characters like Uhura and Dr. M'Benga who didn't get a ton of development in TOS.

Idk what level of detail was in what you've read, but he outright saw the future where he gets mangled in Disco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmDvAKO7Ac&ab_channel=BILLYLEHOUX

Kinda past the point where they can foreshadow it, imo. Of course that'll come up.

As for where future shows could be set, 25th century onwards is best, but if they really don't wanna do that, there's enough of a gap between the Undiscovered Country (2293) and TNG (2363-71) that you could stick a series in there without breaking TNG, DS9 & VOY if you were a little bit careful. I want to see was Harriman as useless as he seemed in Generations. Where they definitely shouldn't set it is ~10 years before TOS. Given the real world age and limitations of TOS, it's the hardest thing to keep consistent with.

mothman

Hate the v-neck collar on the new uniform. And they've made Anson Mount look oddly like Martin Shaw. Perhaps when they do the inevitable young-Kirk cameo, they can have him played by someone who looks like Lewis Collins.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 08:40:42 PM
Bin the whole thing and do HD remasters of DS9 and Voyager FFS.

The TNG remaster cost a lot and they didn't make the money they thought they would have off it. I reckon that put a stop to future stuff. I personally am happy with DS9 & VOY in SD but did enjoy the remastered scenes in What We Left Behind. The upcoming VOY documentary is going to do the same and I think it will show up better.

I don't really use Netflix but have been watching it on there rather than my DVD's/Downloads when I'm in bed and it looks crap. The DVD's are better quality. Thing is if they do remaster them CBS/Paramount will have to hope that Netflix will stump up for them to at least cover the costs since they now have the Paramount+ service and probably can't justify the cost to have them on there alone.

mothman

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 09:43:32 PM
As for where future shows could be set, 25th century onwards is best, but if they really don't wanna do that, there's enough of a gap between the Undiscovered Country (2293) and TNG (2363-71) that you could stick a series in there without breaking TNG, DS9 & VOY if you were a little bit careful. I want to see was Harriman as useless as he seemed in Generations. Where they definitely shouldn't set it is ~10 years before TOS. Given the real world age and limitations of TOS, it's the hardest thing to keep consistent with.

I've an idea the Michelle Yeoh Section 31 show will be set during this time. There's a whole seventy years that's remained unexplored.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 09:43:32 PM
Idk what level of detail was in what you've read, but he outright saw the future where he gets mangled in Disco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmDvAKO7Ac&ab_channel=BILLYLEHOUX

Kinda past the point where they can foreshadow it, imo. Of course that'll come up.
They could ignore it. It can be done. They could make at least one season of fun adventures and not reference it. Or reference it obliquely by giving Pike a devil-may-care attitude of "we all gotta get mangled someday".

Lemming

Can't get over how weird the WHEELCHAIR PIKE scene was in Discovery. Like, if you've already seen The Menagerie then you already know what happened to Pike, and if you haven't seen The Menagerie (and presumably, the wide demographic they hoped to appeal to included millions of people who hadn't) then you're just like "what the fuck was that".

Like, putting aside the actual quality/lack of quality of the films themselves, you can see why the JJ Abrams films exist from a marketing perspective. People who've never seen Star Trek still vaguely know who Kirk and Spock are, and what the Enterprise looks like, so you can shove those elements in and people are like "oh yeah, Star Trek". But Pike/The Cage/The Menagerie are much more specific references that new, non-fan viewers don't care about, don't have knowledge of and presumably will just react to with confusion when almost an entire season of Discovery is based around them.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 09:48:51 PM
They could ignore it. It can be done. They could make at least one season of fun adventures and not reference it. Or reference it obliquely by giving Pike a devil-may-care attitude of "we all gotta get mangled someday".

Actually thinking about it, it's got a lot of potential to make Pike completely reckless. The albino Klingon tells him that his fate is 'locked in' once he takes the crystal. If that's true, and we know it is, then until he goes on a training mission with some cadets, he's basically invincible. He'll somehow bullshit his way out dying no matter what stupid shit he tries.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on September 09, 2021, 09:45:42 PM
The TNG remaster cost a lot and they didn't make the money they thought they would have off it. I reckon that put a stop to future stuff. I personally am happy with DS9 & VOY in SD but did enjoy the remastered scenes in What We Left Behind. The upcoming VOY documentary is going to do the same and I think it will show up better.

I don't really use Netflix but have been watching it on there rather than my DVD's/Downloads when I'm in bed and it looks crap. The DVD's are better quality. Thing is if they do remaster them CBS/Paramount will have to hope that Netflix will stump up for them to at least cover the costs since they now have the Paramount+ service and probably can't justify the cost to have them on there alone.

TNG made money but not as much as they hoped. Add to that DS9 and Voyager being more expensive due to the special effects, it is more difficult.

But if TMP is getting a ground up 4K remaster for the Directors Cut for Paramount+ then why can't Voyager and DS9.

Quote from: Lemming on September 09, 2021, 09:52:13 PM
Can't get over how weird the WHEELCHAIR PIKE scene was in Discovery. Like, if you've already seen The Menagerie then you already know what happened to Pike, and if you haven't seen The Menagerie (and presumably, the wide demographic they hoped to appeal to included millions of people who hadn't) then you're just like "what the fuck was that".

Like, putting aside the actual quality/lack of quality of the films themselves, you can see why the JJ Abrams films exist from a marketing perspective. People who've never seen Star Trek still vaguely know who Kirk and Spock are, and what the Enterprise looks like, so you can shove those elements in and people are like "oh yeah, Star Trek". But Pike/The Cage/The Menagerie are much more specific references that new, non-fan viewers don't care about, don't have knowledge of and presumably will just react to with confusion when almost an entire season of Discovery is based around them.
Because at this point they're trying to target fans of the existing franchise. Very few people who never watched Star Trek are going to watch Star Trek Picard. They're making Star Trek Pike because the fan response to Pike, Spock and Number One was so good.

Maybe it's because the new Trek shows are on streaming platforms instead of broadcast television where a show has to compete with everything else in its timeslot. They just need the fans to watch and rewatch. Which is kind of a shame because it isn't possible to please all the fans all the time and if you try to write a show/movie with the hardcore fans in mind, you run the risk of getting bogged down in minutiae to the detriment of telling a decent story.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 09:56:07 PM
TNG made money but not as much as they hoped. Add to that DS9 and Voyager being more expensive due to the special effects, it is more difficult.

But if TMP is getting a ground up 4K remaster for the Directors Cut for Paramount+ then why can't Voyager and DS9.

Hopefully it won't be too long before the technology to do it is faster and cheaper. I know the first 6 films are getting a re-release but is it just TMP getting 4k? TWOK already has it I'm sure.

I wonder if they will try get John Cho in as Sulu at some point in attempt to merge things. Lots of speculation that know the films and series are under one company that it could be the case.

mothman

Sulu starts off on the Enterprise as a botanist or physicist (I forget) before becoming helmsman. A cameo by Cho would be neat, but I suspect they'd be unable to resist having an episode showing how Sulu went from lab to helm.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on September 09, 2021, 10:04:40 PM
Hopefully it won't be too long before the technology to do it is faster and cheaper. I know the first 6 films are getting a re-release but is it just TMP getting 4k? TWOK already has it I'm sure.

All 10 films are coming to 4K but that is just rescanning the existing print with some remastering. I-IV are available for pre-order now with the following six likely coming in trilogy sets.

In addition to that, the Director's Cut of TMP is getting a new from the ground up rebuild in 4K but it is exclusive to Paramount+ for a year before getting a solo release on 4K disc.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 10:12:36 PM
All 10 films are coming to 4K but that is just rescanning the existing print with some remastering. I-IV are available for pre-order now with the following six likely coming in trilogy sets.

In addition to that, the Director's Cut of TMP is getting a new from the ground up rebuild in 4K but it is exclusive to Paramount+ for a year before getting a solo release on 4K disc.

Ah ok, I wasn't overly sure about the whole situation. I knew it had been shown in the cinema in 4k quite recently but didn't know it was getting a complete rebuild as well. I know a clip of it has just came out but pointless watching it on a non 4k screen I thought so didn't bother.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: mothman on September 09, 2021, 10:09:30 PM
Sulu starts off on the Enterprise as a botanist or physicist (I forget) before becoming helmsman. A cameo by Cho would be neat, but I suspect they'd be unable to resist having an episode showing how Sulu went from lab to helm.

They'd have to resist having that episode cos he's still a science officer under Kirk's command in "Where no Man Has Gone Before." Kelso is the helmsman and Mitchell is the navigator.

Well actually no, they don't have to resist it, they just not give a shit about that. But he's supposed to be in Astrosciences at the start of Kirk's tenure anyway.