Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)

Started by Malcy, May 15, 2020, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on February 01, 2022, 08:40:33 PMWhat's the point of that? The Khan business can't properly pay off until the TOS episode. Unless she's secretly enhanced, but if so why run around with the Noonien Singh name?

That would be true if they gave two shits about continuity. I don't think they'd understand what you meant by that. Or maybe they do care on this occasion and some sort of unnecessary complicated time travel or alternate dimension hopping is involved. I suspect the former. Until they retcon it in Season 3.

That name as well. Christ. Does she know Captain Jane Kirk?

No more negativity from me. Sorry. I do like a lot about the show design and the other legacy characters they've chosen.

Malcy

Apart from anything, Spock should have raised a pointy eyebrow upon meeting Khan.

I think the cowboy thing is Pike related. I'm sure he had a ranch back home and was an actual Cowboy before Starfleet.

I thing the Noonien-Singh thing raised more discussion at the time of reveal than the fact that Uhura & M'Benga were in this.

Lemming

Khan will show up in one episode. Then at the end he'll be like "I will return to the Enterprise one day, but I will never mention my niece La'an, for she is classified top secret. So if I return later and hijack the ship or whatever and fail to mention her, that is why. Farewell, Spock... UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN."

Spock will then say "Indeed, most logical. I, too, will not mention that I once served with a relative of yours, even though the information may be crucial to any future scenario I find myself in or any captain I may one day serve under. I will also make no mention of this encounter we are having now, and I will pretend not to recognise you, because this meeting is also top secret. Farewell."

Malcy

Quote from: Lemming on February 01, 2022, 09:14:47 PMKhan will show up in one episode. Then at the end he'll be like "I will return to the Enterprise one day, but I will never mention my niece La'an, for she is classified top secret. So if I return later and hijack the ship or whatever and fail to mention her, that is why. Farewell, Spock... UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN."

Spock will then say "Indeed, most logical. I, too, will not mention that I once served with a relative of you, even though the information may be crucial to any future scenario I find myself in or any captain I may one day serve under. Farewell."

All while space Messiah Burnham stand in a corner crying and in some sort of time travel shenanigans wipes everyone's memories while dropping her tears on their bodies and whispering EMOTIONS etc.

Malcy

I was diappointed when Discovery was shite, was pissed right off at Picard. If this is shit? I'm not arsed. I'm absolutely loving Lower Decks & Prodigy has been brillaint too and infinitely more interesting story wise than DSc & PIC.

I have that to look forward to. I know the franchise is safe in 2 shows so that will do me. Never thought I wouldn't like or give up on a Trek anything but well that's the way things are now.

Mobbd

Lemming and Malcy nail it.

I'm enjoying Prodigy too btw; I'll bung those emotions in the Proddles thread once I've seen the latest ep.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on February 01, 2022, 09:27:44 PMLemming and Malcy nail it.

I'm enjoying Prodigy too btw; I'll bung those emotions in the Proddles thread once I've seen the latest ep.

It's a two parter so i'm hanging fire posting until Thu. Annoyed that 40 episodes are effectively being spaced out to fill in the gaps between the other morbid shite to basically keep subscribers all year round.

mothman

No word on U.K. distribution yet. So of course on May 5 we'll all just obligingly avoid spoilers and wait obediently for it to be legally available here.
Spoiler alert
Will we fuck.
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on February 01, 2022, 09:44:46 PMNo word on U.K. distribution yet. So of course on May 5 we'll all just obligingly avoid spoilers and wait obediently for it to be legally available here.
Spoiler alert
Will we fuck.
[close]

I watched Picard S01E01 on Prime because i was busy the day it was released and got home at 11.55pm and skinned up. That was the last time. Don't have Netflix, well do but not mine and don't use it so never hit DSC on there. More than likely ordering LD on Blu-Ray. I'd happily own it.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Lemming on February 01, 2022, 09:14:47 PMKhan will show up in one episode. Then at the end he'll be like "I will return to the Enterprise one day, but I will never mention my niece La'an, for she is classified top secret. So if I return later and hijack the ship or whatever and fail to mention her, that is why. Farewell, Spock... UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN."

Spock will then say "Indeed, most logical. I, too, will not mention that I once served with a relative of yours, even though the information may be crucial to any future scenario I find myself in or any captain I may one day serve under. I will also make no mention of this encounter we are having now, and I will pretend not to recognise you, because this meeting is also top secret. Farewell."

"And you will of course refreeze yourself on Botany Bay too?"
"Yes, obviously."

I think they'll restrain themselves from doing that.

It certainly possible to make an interesting story around a possible Augment character if that's what she is, but does she have to have Khan's name? Why can't she be called Mary Murphy?

Between this, Burnham being Spock's never talked about foster sister and Soongs everywhere, I'm starting to feel a little like they're moving towards the Star Wars Incest Universe thing where it feels like half the people we see have to be related to someone we've already seen, or meet a character we already know, or be involved with an event we've already seen etc. etc.

Mr Trumpet

I think complaining that characters in different shows in the same franchise are loosely connected is like complaining that so much of Star Trek is set on spaceships that just so happen to have the same name.

Lemming

^ People do make that complaint! I suppose it comes down to whether or not you prefer Star Trek to be a tool for telling all kinds of different standalone stories (in which case you opt for the TOS-TNG-VOY set of shows), or as a big cohesive universe where everything's all tied together (which seems to be what the new showrunners want, as well as the fourth season of Enterprise). DS9 sort of walks the line between both approaches IMO.

Personally I don't really think it's worth trying to tie the Star Trek setting together - nothing in it makes sense when taken as a whole, which doesn't matter in the episodic shows so long as everything makes internal sense within a single episode. There's also the danger of ending up in a situation where absolutely everything important that ever happens seems to end up revolving around a small handful of people, in a setting that covers a galaxy of billions of individuals. The strength of all the 90s spinoffs was in their willingness to go off and do their own thing, with only occasional callbacks to each other or to TOS. Discovery meanwhile is (or at least, was by the point I dropped it) hopelessly tied down to an established canon that it didn't seem to be very interested in interacting with, but also didn't want to let go of.

One of the things I always liked about TOS as a kid was the suggestion that the Enterprise was just one of a handful of Constitution-class ships, not any more special than the rest, just the one we happened to be following. Made it all the more harrowing when they'd bump into the burning wreckages of the other Constitution ships - could easily have been the Enterprise. Never liked that it's the flagship in TNG and that Kirk is considered some kind of legendary hero (rather than just one of several Constitution captains) in post-TOS stuff.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 01, 2022, 11:30:13 PMI think complaining that characters in different shows in the same franchise are loosely connected is like complaining that so much of Star Trek is set on spaceships that just so happen to have the same name.

There's loosely connected and then there's being a direct descendant of a previous character.

TNG didn't consist of the adventures of the Enterprise D commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Kirk, the great grandson of Jim Kirk.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 02, 2022, 09:06:13 AMTNG didn't consist of the adventures of the Enterprise D commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Kirk, the great grandson of Jim Kirk.

That would be far more egregious than any of the examples of what they've actually done, because it implies a certain level of hereditary privilege. Not really the case with Khan or Burnham so I don't give a fig personally.

Lemming: I like the idea of the setting being a universe that slowly gets built up and added to by lots of writers, but yeah it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny as a consistent setting. And that was true even before they got new designers in for the recent run of shows. The contrast between early TNG and late DS9 is startling, and those are shows that are considered roughly contemporary with one another and were overseen by more or less the same people.

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on February 02, 2022, 12:39:16 AMwith only occasional callbacks to each other or to TOS.

Yes, that's it. I sometimes sound mad for continuity and I am to an extent. But all I really want is for a single episode to make sense in the context of a relatively simple set of rules (that they managed to *generally* stick to for, oh, about 40 or 50 years) and for those *occasional* callbacks and crossovers to strengthen the integrity of that universe and those rules without being a burden.

A big callback or crossover like briefly seeing Quark on TNG or bringing back Scotty for an episode or even just putting the Duras Sisters on DS9 really felt special. Now these things drag another great sigh from me, especially in the context of another prequel that undermines the foundations of everything we know (and is seemingly only a prequel because of a craven desire to cash in on the juiciest IP).

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 02, 2022, 09:13:28 AMThat would be far more egregious than any of the examples of what they've actually done, because it implies a certain level of hereditary privilege. Not really the case with Khan or Burnham so I don't give a fig personally.

Laan Noonien Singh?

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 02, 2022, 10:14:53 AMRemains to be seen doesn't it

Yes, absolutely. Sorry. I just worry that it's an advance peek beyond the cheery-looking promotional hype into the brain of the person who made all this (Akiva Goldsman) and that the brain is raddled with maggots.

I would like to join you in enjoying Star Trek again. Gimme some of that colourful, future-positive, episodic bizzle plzzl. There seems to be a lot to like about this. I'm just bracing myself: I'm a stupid fool who has been stupidly fooled, oh, four times now I think.

Alberon

Anyway, here's a pic of Cadet Uhura on the bridge.

Den Of Geek has seen a clip of the first episode that has been released to the press.

There's a bit about how the episode gives some back story to Uhura.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-first-look-expands-uhuras-backstory/

But it also says this about the look of the show.

QuoteWhile it is fascinating to get more backstory regarding this iconic character, the clip revealed a great deal about the tone of the new series—which is bright, colorful, and warm. Presumably, this series will not be without its stakes, but it is clear that the episodic show is looking to bring a sense of optimism and clarity into the modern Trek landscape.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Mobbd on February 02, 2022, 10:21:19 AMI would like to join you in enjoying Star Trek again. Gimme some of that colourful, future-positive, episodic bizzle plzzl. There seems to be a lot to like about this. I'm just bracing myself: I'm a stupid fool who has been stupidly fooled, oh, four times now I think.

It's funny, I never got into DS9 cos I found it too gloomy and with boring characters (Quark and some of the recurring guests aside). Yet the new stuff I like just fine, with a few caveats.

Alberon

Yet, for me, DS9 is still the pinnacle of Star Trek and I can't stand Discovery.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on February 02, 2022, 10:40:33 AMAnyway, here's a pic of Cadet Uhura on the bridge.

Yeah, she's really cute and actually kinda awesome-looking. I like the casting a lot. If we're bringing back legacy characters, Uhura's perfect; as well as being someone we already have a lot of affection for, she never really had much backstory and certainly deserves it. It doesn't spoil anything, only enhances.

Thanks for the info from Den of Geek. That does sound positive.

Mr Trumpet

And perhaps we can quietly move past that episode of TOS where her memory is completely wiped and she has to be reeducated from scratch so she can get back to work in the next episode.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 02, 2022, 02:45:11 PMAnd perhaps we can quietly move past that episode of TOS where her memory is completely wiped and she has to be reeducated from scratch so she can get back to work in the next episode.

Oh god, yeah. Too distressing. I remember saying "what the fuck?" out loud. Way bleak.

Lemming

Preview sounds good. Uhura was always interesting in that she's a bridge officer who can basically do anything - communications, repairs, navigation (she flies the ship at least once, I think in "Balance of Terror"), away teams - in a way that no other bridge officer seems to be able to, so she must have been in Starfleet for ages and received some kind of special training, and yet they never make it clear where she is in the chain of command or anything like that. She's also got combat training in that she can do the usual Starfleet martial arts bullshit in "Gamesters of Triskelion" and blasts the shit out of everyone with a phaser in that one Animated Series episode, but I suppose everyone in Starfleet got trained in their special crazy brand of martial arts. So definitely a lot of room to develop the character and have her attain different skillsets as the show goes on.

The early 90s adventure games Star Trek 25th Annniversary and Judgment Rites said she was fourth in command of the ship, (I think the order was Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, McCoy) which makes sense.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Lemming on February 02, 2022, 04:29:14 PMThe early 90s adventure games Star Trek 25th Annniversary and Judgment Rites said she was fourth in command of the ship, (I think the order was Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, McCoy) which makes sense.

Pretty sure a couple of episodes show Sulu as next after Scotty.

Malcy

Teaser trailer. Doesn't have the same shots from the one that the screenshots leaked from a while back.

Mr Trumpet

Risky choice there. But they brought Pike back and did a good job with him.

Malcy

Wasn't particularly excited by it. It was pretty much inevitable he would appear at some point but didn't think it would be this early on.