Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMrs

not really training if he can't be fucked actually doing it though

McDead

Quote from: MrMrs on January 03, 2021, 12:11:20 AM
not really training if he can't be fucked actually doing it though

He'll do it when he has five million patients.

MrMrs

then drop out halfway through if it doesn't go to plan

thr0b

That's quite unfair, isn't it? The man suffers from serious depression and anxiety disorders, and the problem with them is they lie to you. They make it difficult to exist day to day, and they lie to you. You can be all larks and easygoing in public, but as soon as you're home alone, the act is off and the struggle comes to the fore.

So then in his case, he's a man in the public eye who is trying to work to keep a roof over his and his kids' head in reduced circumstances, while also trying to train for a new career because by his own admission he doesn't enjoy or see a future in the current one, while having to continue to do it while struggling with the depression and anxiety plus addiction issues.

I firmly suspect that if he COULD drop the show, he would.

On the issue of his suitability as a counsellor; he's been accepted onto a course with that as the end-goal. I suspect those in charge of that course will have screened and made a decision as to whether to take him on have far more knowledge and experience as to who is suitable or not.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: thr0b on January 04, 2021, 10:24:57 AM
he's a man in the public eye who is trying to work to keep a roof over his and his kids' head in reduced circumstances

If he was truly that concerned about keeping a roof over his and kids' heads, he should have perhaps bitten his tongue and not been such hard work for the bosses at TalkRadio.

TLNA worked so much better on radio than it ever will on the echo chamber of Twitch.

McDead

He doesn't want to be a counsellor. He wants to be as well known and successful as his peers. Problem is, he's never put in the work. Where are his sitcoms? His film pitches? He's a DJ - a good one by all accounts - but he doesn't seem content with that. Now he's painted himself into a corner where he can't even do that any more. I'd be depressed too.

franticplanet

Quote from: McDead on January 04, 2021, 01:12:00 PM
Problem is, he's never put in the work. Where are his sitcoms? His film pitches?

Bit unfair. He's got that big willy song with MacKenzie Crook.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The lack of empathy from some of the posters in this thread is staggering. Just pull your socks up, Iain!

DrGreggles

He was back tonight. Seemed in good spirits, but I don't think being 'on' is where he struggles.

bgmnts

Quote from: thr0b on January 04, 2021, 10:24:57 AM
That's quite unfair, isn't it? The man suffers from serious depression and anxiety disorders, and the problem with them is they lie to you. They make it difficult to exist day to day, and they lie to you. You can be all larks and easygoing in public, but as soon as you're home alone, the act is off and the struggle comes to the fore.

So then in his case, he's a man in the public eye who is trying to work to keep a roof over his and his kids' head in reduced circumstances, while also trying to train for a new career because by his own admission he doesn't enjoy or see a future in the current one, while having to continue to do it while struggling with the depression and anxiety plus addiction issues.

I firmly suspect that if he COULD drop the show, he would.

On the issue of his suitability as a counsellor; he's been accepted onto a course with that as the end-goal. I suspect those in charge of that course will have screened and made a decision as to whether to take him on have far more knowledge and experience as to who is suitable or not.

Presumably, shitload of successful people deal/dealt with the same problems Iain Lee does. Mental issues shouldn't be a catch all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fuck's sake. I'm done with this thread.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on January 04, 2021, 10:13:29 PM
Presumably, shitload of successful people deal/dealt with the same problems Iain Lee does. Mental issues shouldn't be a catch all.

Shouldn't be, but yet...

And a shitload of successful people with the same problems don't have jobs where they're in the public eye and don't have their mental health scrutinised on comedy forums.

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 04, 2021, 09:58:13 PM
He was back tonight. Seemed in good spirits, but I don't think being 'on' is where he struggles.

I missed the start of the show. Why's he changed his mind? After a relapse and saying he was going to rehab for January.

thr0b

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 04, 2021, 10:33:53 PM
Shouldn't be, but yet...

And a shitload of successful people with the same problems don't have jobs where they're in the public eye and don't have their mental health scrutinised on comedy forums.

This is it. He puts himself out there in a lot more detail than many celebrities. Countless people on telly or on radio will have the anse issues, yes. But they are not as open with their audience as he is.

There's some heartless cunts here.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: tubbsthespidergigolo2 on January 04, 2021, 10:44:27 PM
I missed the start of the show. Why's he changed his mind? After a relapse and saying he was going to rehab for January.

He did an "On Cinema" Tim Heidecker move and basically went into rehab immediately after christmas day (Apparently his kids didnt have covid contrary to what one poster mentioned in passing in this thread), stayed for 4 days in Quarentine before discharging himself and deciding that going to Face to Face AA meetings (Something he hasnt done since February) was the better option.

My partners been to similar facilities through this mind and quarentine can generally last between 48 and 72 hours and it's usually the most dismal, boring and soul sucking part of going in...So while I reallu cant blame him for wanting to get out or thinking theres a better way. I really cant stop thinking that the shows literally just morphed into a real life "On Cinema"

Obviously I wish him well and I hope he finds the best support he can from Greg- Kath.

Edit - Should Clarify; while im being sarcastic in the above post I do genuinely wish him a recovery...but I think this may be the end of the line for me, apart from starting to get a bit too close to circumstances i've been around myself. The Streams drifted away from what I loved now so much that im only really here for the continuity...and theres just...no fun in it for me anymore.

thr0b

Yeah, that's why I've stopped listening. I like Iain, but I don't like this version of his show. I listen to be entertained, not depressed or to worry about the presenter.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 04, 2021, 09:42:57 PM
The lack of empathy from some of the posters in this thread is staggering. Just pull your socks up, Iain!

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 04, 2021, 09:42:57 PM

Quote from: thr0b on January 04, 2021, 10:49:58 PM

There's some heartless cunts here.

Can't speak on behalf of others but FWIW I probably could have worded my post in a better, more sympathetic way (was in a shitty mood all day today/yesterday).

My heart goes out to the guy. Iain, for the most part, is a decent bloke and a great broadcaster. I miss his more confrontational, mischievous persona from the LBC/Absolute days.

Sorry for being insensitive. 

thr0b

My reply wasn't specifically aimed at you, but all to the good :)

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 05, 2021, 06:24:19 AMMy heart goes out to the guy. Iain, for the most part, is a decent bloke and a great broadcaster. I miss his more confrontational, mischievous persona from the LBC/Absolute days.

I think he should stop working with Kathryn. There's a horrible codependency to their on-air relationship. Iain needs a producer to tell him to keep some things off air, stop shouting at the chat, stop reading interminable local sponsorship spots on a global channel. Stop worrying about concurrent viewers because what he's getting is probably equivalent to the Rajar weekly figures he was used to. Stop doing a bad version of Limmy's Twitch. Do what he's brilliant at – a fun, surprising, offbeat phone-in show.

thr0b

I concur. They're great mates, but increasingly the show felt like we were intruding on their private channel, rather than public entertainment.

There's been a few on-air incidents on radio and Twitch which I don't think another producer would've let occur (not all his fault, I must add).

Managing your mates is always a difficult job for anyone.

MrMrs

well don't bring them up then, have some respect for the man

I gather from Twitter that The Twitch contract has not been renewed so he seems to be ending the streams on July 19th, at the expiration of the contract. https://www.twitch.tv/TLNA

It's a shame but I think they realized from the numbers that the axe was coming.

RickyHamster

Watched one of his streams and him and his co host came across as a right dislikeable pair so I'm not surprised.

Ham Bap

Not surprising. He got banned a few times in the past year for things shown on stream.
When's the last time he did 5 nights in a row.

Doesn't really make sense for Twitch to throw 70k+ a year at them for an average of 1200 listeners a show (or whatever it is) when bigger streams pull a lot more in and don't get paid tens of £1000s by Twitch.

And the burning of bridges has already commenced
https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1387809918598713350?s=21

Ham Bap

Ha, just checked Twitch to see what was said last night and the first thing he says is no show for tonight.